Wolf Steel Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still see Failure To Fire issues with AK's in my courses...doesn't matter if the ammo is Sako Finnish military (Sako Berdan-primed 7.62x39), or Barnaul. The AK is just a crude, overly-praised for reliability, mass-produced by tons of different countries system, that has tolerance stack issues within the same lot, let alone between countries and magazines. No matter how much I tell AK fanatics how less than reliable they can be, the drum has been beat for so long that they are a 100% reliable system, that even the guys who have all the problems with them still will step up to the pulpit and broadcast with confidence the AK's supreme reliability standard. If you purchase tons of different mags, run them through your AK, toss the ones that don't work, and troubleshoot your system, you'll have a gun that works fine.

Every time a guy with an AK, (including me), has an a malf with one, I bellow as loud as possible, "The most reliable system in the world!" in a heavy Russian accent. Malfs with AK's usually cause major delays in the flow of teams going from room-to-room as well, since dealing with the mag is a more cumbersome event, especially the heavy steel mags. In the winter courses, where temps are -20 C, we had more failures to activate primers than I would have liked to have seen. None with the AR's...wich ran like champs.

One of the problems with 7.62x39 AR15's was the same tolerance issues from one bolt, to a different barrel, and home-builds. The Colt 7.62x39 AR's run really well with the CProducts 30rd mags, as long as you use stronger mag springs. Guys I know use AK mag springs in them, and they run great that way.

It will be interesting to see what mag design Vepr and Saiga go with if they chamber AK's in the Grendel.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-03-2013, 01:56 PM. Reason: Sako is Finnish Defense Force mfgr of 7.62x39.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper20 View Post
      One question that I have is how will this affect the durability of your firearm? ...
      I suspect the answer to this question is that if you can afford to put enough rounds through your gun to wear out the anodizing on the M4 feed ramps, you can afford to replace the upper. I don't see how the soft steel cases could manage to cause any measurable wear on the hardened steel ramps of the barrel extension.

FYI, the upper nor the barrel on my Grendel target rig have M4 feed ramp cuts, and I have no feed issues with the gun.

Comment

• jwilson1985

so when will they go public with this cause saami is still denying it lol

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
          so when will they go public with this cause saami is still denying it lol
          They went public, announcing it at the Big 3 Conference. How long it will take for all the administrative details is anyones guess! LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sgt_murf View Post
            I Cee
            I'm thinking that "if" the firing pin protruestion is where it "should" be varing on firing pin vs bolt set up the amount of protruestion is "supposed" to be the same for either priming methods. short answer should not pose a issue my reasoning is I never seen a firearm made for just one priming method. Could their be a need for a firing pin bolt combo to be modified sure but too much = pierced primers= bad thing
            yeah yeah my spelling sucks
            Enhanced pin for Berdan primers.

Comment

Here is a link for you guys that buy this stuff. You may need it.
              Check out the deal on **Enhanced Replacement 7.62x39 AR Firing Pin at galatiinternational.com

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                Why would you roll your own plinking ammo if this comes in at the price previously predicted? (Less than .30/round). I can't come close to loading for that price!
                depends on how they shoot and how available they are! i think this is going on year #3 for the steel cased ammo!

i still would be happy for 6.5 FMJ at .12/ea

Comment

Those firing pins address a headspace problem, where cartridges jump forward a bit in a loose chamber. A firing pin that protrudes more is not the best solution. There were a lot of people making 7.62x39 barrels, who weren't making 7.62x39 bolts, or couldn't stock them simultaneously. Imagine chambers and bolt faces not being matched up, especially since there wasn't an industry standard, combined with hard primers, and you have failure to fire.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

My concern with shooting steel cased ammo is because I've heard from my department amourers that laquer can build up in the chamber with the use of steel cased ammo. I've seen where wolf is now using a polymer coating on steel cased ammo. Are there any problems with a build up in the chamber occuring when firing steel cased ammo? I've also seen where Branual sells a nickle plated steel cased ammo in 223/5.56 and 7.62X39 loaded with soft points. Do you think there is any chance the 6.5 Grendel steel cased ammo would use nickle plated cases. I figure the nickle plating would just raise the price and would not be included on the 6.5 Grendel FMJ ammo.

Comment

Wolf used to use green steel with a thick lacquer coating on it, and it caused seized chambers a lot in AR's and AK's. I used to buy it by the 1000rd case. The Barnaul stuff seems to have a grey, dry steel case, and they work better, but I've seen guys with AR's that ran 100% for over 1000rds with brass-cased ammo until they fed Barnaul through it in chrome-lined barrels.

If you use a Melonite-treated barrel, with a 73 Rockwell surface, it will eat Wolf like candy, or you can run a chamber brush with a patch soaked in polishing compound trough your chamber back and forth with a hand-held drill to make it smoother, as long as you don't change the chamber dimensions. I used to see several barrels that were like that with any type of ammo you fed them because there were tool marks running perpendicular to the bore axis in the chamber that would hold the cartridges in, preventing extraction. This polishing method cured the extraction issues.

I will also say that if I had a high-end cut-rifled pipe that prints sub-half MOA groups, I would not be blasting one round of Wolf through it probably. For those of us with a $260 AA/Shaw barrel/bolt combo who want to do some practical shooting from various positions, and run higher volume, we don't want to be burning Lapua or Hornady-cased ammunition at over $1 per pop.
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-07-2011, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Time to buy a blaster barrel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

I've only been reloading for less than five years. I've never really given steel cased ammo much thought since it can't be reloaded. And, I've always been told that steel cases can't be reloaded. But, can someone explain why. I understand what a berdan primer is. But, if you can manage to decap it and press a new primer in there. What are the other factors that make it "Not" reloadable.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

The steel cased ammo I was thinking of was Silver Bear and it is zinc coated instead of nickle plated. I've never shot any of this steel cased ammo because I was able to buy brass 5.56/223 plinking ammo for about the same price as the Silver Bear. If the steel cased ammo didn't leave a build up in the chamber I would probably shoot some but I like to reload. Once I get a better supply of brass I'd rather shoot brass cases with cheaper bullets for short range and plinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutt View Post
                              I've only been reloading for less than five years. I've never really given steel cased ammo much thought since it can't be reloaded. And, I've always been told that steel cases can't be reloaded. But, can someone explain why. I understand what a berdan primer is. But, if you can manage to decap it and press a new primer in there. What are the other factors that make it "Not" reloadable.
                              The brass case is like a fuse in an electrical circuit. It is the first thing to react to high pressures and give you a warning.

The steel case is not going to give you that degree of luxury or rather protection. There will be little difference from when the steel case fails and the rifle is in danger of being damaged along with the shooter.

Comment

I found this while trying to utilize the Swedish "battle pack" ammo I have. It would work for steel case Grendel ammo as well if you're willing to take the time.
                                DynamitNobel sells the Berdan primers.

Cheers, Will

Comment

Working...
                                X