Wolf Steel Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the link!

I remember reading about a sharp-pointed hook that was used to pull the primers out too.

Since I haven't tried either method , can't tell which is better.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2011, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Any other product data available…bullet weight, muzzle velocity? A gel test would be pretty awesome (hint, hint AA, if you are watching this thread).

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        Those firing pins address a headspace problem, where cartridges jump forward a bit in a loose chamber. A firing pin that protrudes more is not the best solution. There were a lot of people making 7.62x39 barrels, who weren't making 7.62x39 bolts, or couldn't stock them simultaneously. Imagine chambers and bolt faces not being matched up, especially since there wasn't an industry standard, combined with hard primers, and you have failure to fire.
        That could be one reason for the Enhanced Pin. According to some x39 shooters over at the AR forum the Enhanced pion is needed to set off Berdan primers. They claim they are to hard for the standard pin. Some say the Berdan primers are also set to deep for the standard pin.

For the hell of it I purchased a 50 round box of x39 Berdan primed Silver Bear. Fired them as fast as I could out of my AR-15 with standard pin, all went bang, but that was only 50 rounds, not much of a test really.

Comment

I think the berdan primer issue gets blamed on the firing pin when alot of it has to due with the hammer spring power. With alot of ar guys doing "5 minute trigger jobs" and/or changing trigger springs to lighten the standard gi trigger, it may not have the power to light off berdan primers.

I ran into the issue on my sks when I changed to wolff trigger& sear springs. It wouldn't light off the berdan primed ammo.....switched the stock hammer spring back in and BANG!

Comment

Is there an expected release date?

And any idea what we should expect to pay? I know some on here believe it will be close to the 7.63x39 in price. Any information leading to this estimate, or just a guess?

I have payed $10 a box for 7.62x54R ammo, so I'm thinking just because its steel doesn't mean 7.62x39 prices? But man wouldn't that be nice!

Just noticed the other thread stating 1st quarter of next year.
            Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2011, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stanc
              And maybe not only because of the number of rounds fired.

When I was thinking about buying a Mini-30 a couple months ago, a search for info revealed that Mini-30 owners have the same failure to fire problem with steel-cased, Berdan-primed 7.62x39 ammo. The one notable exception is Silver Bear, which was said to fire 100% reliably in the Mini-30.
              Good point and my thoughts when I purchased the SB, I wanted to try the Wolf black box, but the SB was all they had.

Comment

• txgunslinger

I really hope that once it is produced I can actually find it on the shelf somewhere and not have to order it online. I would gladly pay 10$ a box if that (with tax) is all I had to pay. If ordering online it would take purchasing quite a few boxes to offset the crazy shipping prices enough to be worthwhile.

Comment

• pinzgauer
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

When I was thinking about buying a Mini-30 a couple months ago, a search for info revealed that Mini-30 owners have the same failure to fire problem with steel-cased, Berdan-primed 7.62x39 ammo.
                  My bro's mini-30 happily digests pretty much any cheap 762x39 thrown in it. Can't imagine this being an issue.

Comment

I disagree with that. I have never had a FTF with Wolf. I have had 1 or 2 of the Silver/Brown bear that I have fired, but I was using an AK-47/SKS. I am not a fan of the Mini-30... I think they are junk, so I would say it might be the firearm as well...

Comment

This is an email straight from Ruger.

Comment / question:

Can I shoot steel cased ammunition with a Berdan primer in my Mini-30? Hornady makes a nice load that is steel cased and Berdan primed. Will this US made ammo damage my rifle?

Response:
                      No Berdan primers are very hard and you can get "light hits" and in extreme cases can cause the firing pin to break.
                      We do not recommend the use of steel cased ammunition in the Mini. Steel cased ammunition in any rifle can cause bore damage and the lacquer finish can start coating the chamber causing extraction/ ejection problems.

Comment

I've put several thousands rounds of wolf through both an SKS and AK.
                        I've had exactly 1 FTF. It was in an SKS and there IS a good dent in the primer.
                        My AK is an Arsenal. It's also surprising accurate for an AK. Even with cheap ammo.

I cant wait to see this Wolf 6.5 Grendel ammo. My barrel is (I think) too tightly chambered , but if it's cheap enough I'll get a blaster barrel.
                        I'd also be interested in one of the AK's chambered in Grendel that I've been hearing about.

Comment

• pinzgauer
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2011

Google "Mini-30 Berdan primer" or "Mini-30 Wolf ammo"

Of course, those are just words, and if a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video ought to be priceless...
                          Maybe my brother just got lucky with his Mini-30. And my other friends who also shoot Wolf.

But I'm not real impressed with the video:
                          - Rides the bolt back when chambering
                          - Shoots with his index finger curled around the trigger
                          - Can't seem to manage the mags, fights with them.

In a rifle which appears to have every accessory you can find.

That said, if they won't fire a berdan primer then there is something wrong that should be addressed in the rifle. The mil-spec 5.56 and 7.62 Nato primers are also harder, I've never heard of a mini-14 having problems with mil-spec primers.

So if it's happening, I don't think it's very widespread. Remember it takes just a few in forums to make folks think a rifle/cartridge is tainted. (remember the grendel bolt phase? or the "Hornaday Grendel won't chamber" diatribes?)

Likewise, if Mini-30's only shot brass cased boxer primed they would be cheaper than Mini-14's and off the market by this point. Or converted to something else. About the only reason to have one is cheap ammo.

Regarding Ruger's caveats against steel cased ammo, it's pretty common for all the AR mfg's. Yet there are AR's that have shot thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo with no problems. From memory, Ruger even warned against handloads for a while.

Comment

• TheOTHERmaninblack
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2011

I'm a little confused. Awaay back when the mini 30 was first released, didn't I hear that the bore was .308 and that you shouldn't use combloc .311 in it?

Comment

Originally posted by TheOTHERmaninblack View Post
                              I'm a little confused. Awaay back when the mini 30 was first released, didn't I hear that the bore was .308 and that you shouldn't use combloc .311 in it?
                              Yes and No. The first Mini-30's were a .308 bore with a tapered throat to accept both .308 and .310 ammo. You can do the Google on Ed Harris and the Mini-30 and read all about he and his Mini-30 design team. He talks about the pressures associated with the .308 bore and .310-.311 ammo. The pressures were acceptable to Ruger and they went ahead and built the first Mini-30' with the .308 bore.

Now the question is why. Why the .308 bore? Simple, Money! According to Ed Harris, Bill Ruger was stuck with a whole warehouse full of .308 barrels left over from his failed XGI project. Enter the Mini-30 to use up all of those POS barrels that were rejected by Uncle Sam.

Comment

• pinzgauer
                                Warrior
                                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by TheOTHERmaninblack View Post
                                Internet lore supposedly from Ruger says the bore on post '90 Mini-30's is 310-311.

Also that there are places selling hammer springs 1lb heavier, that some mini-30 hammer springs lose tension faster than they should and should be replaced anyway every few years or 2-3k rounds.

But what does this have to do with steel cased grendel??? My strong suspicion is the Wolf will get the primer right knowing it's main market will be AR's.

Comment

Working...
                                X