• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by nincomp View Post
    Shhhhhhh, Stan. Maybe they don't know that you have retired.
    Yes. Exactly. I'll pay, and you give them my address Stan.

I'll take pics, do some chrono numbers, and you can write the article.

It's summer again, so I could also do another "Redneck Nuclear" heat test to check for temperature sensitivity.

Call Elander too, and have them send mags. I can test them during mag dumps.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

I'm not knocking cheap ammo by any means, but I notice that Fortier, in his post on AR15.com, says the new Wolf 6.5 Grendel steel-case with a 100gr FMJ got about 2600 fps from a 20" barrel. Shouldn't we be expecting more than 2800 fps at that bbl length?

Is Wolf steel-case typically loaded conservatively?

John
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by HANKA View Post

Is Wolf steel-case typically loaded conservatively?
        My 223 Wolf steel seems rather wimpy. I don't recall chrono readings, but an AR tuned for comparable domestic ammo tends to short-stroke with Wolf steel in my experience. YMMV
        Drifter

Comment

• I guess this makes it official...maybe...kinda...

Let's do a massive group buy...we'll pay in vodka.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2014, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

Good find, JDub, although it's been "official" on Wolf's site for, geez, five years now?

I note that Barnaul's U.S. distributors are Bear (DKG Trading), Wolf (Sporting Supplies Intl), and Academy Sports.

John
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Originally posted by HANKA View Post
              Good find, JDub, although it's been "official" on Wolf's site for, geez, five years now?

I note that Barnaul's U.S. distributors are Bear (DKG Trading), Wolf (Sporting Supplies Intl), and Academy Sports.

John
              Yeah, I saw that steel-cased Grendel on the wolf site but they listed it as 110gr., so I figured the listing was not current.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                Warrior
                • Apr 2013

"Shouldn't we be expecting more than 2800 fps at that [20"] barrel length?"

My sentiment, as well, John.

"And, in related news, WOLF has a full-page ad in the January, 2013 Western Shooting Journal featuring the WOLF Steel Case 6.5 Grendel ammo, as well as a side piece detailing the ballistics, '110-grain FMJ boattail bullet, with bimetal jacket, reported MV, 2,850 fps.'" (http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=2148.0).

Wanting to compare the downrange performance of the 100-grain FMJBT projectile used in the new WOLF 6.5mm Grendel Steel Case ammo, against projectiles used in other cartridges, I yesterday E-mailed a request for the specific Ballistic Coefficient of that projectile to, info@wolfammo.com.
                I today received a response, "We sent an email over to ask the ballistic coefficient for you. I'll let you know as soon as I get it."

In the absence of the specific Ballistic Coefficient figure from WOLF, as of this writing, I've chosen the Ballistic Coefficient for the Hornady 6.5mm .264 100-grain A-MAX spitzer boattail projectile: 0.390. Using 20" barrels, let's compare the new WOLF Steel Case 6.5mm Grendel 100-grain FMJBT load, against a popular feral hog load, Hornady's .223 Remington 75-grain Match (BC - 0.395) and the Hornady 6.5mm Grendel 123-grain A-MAX load (BC - 0.510).

. . . . . . . . . . . . . Muzzle . . . . 100 yd . . . . 200 yd . . . . . 300 yd . . . 400 yd . . . . 500 yd

. . . . . . . . . . . . V(fps)/E(ft-lbs)

.223 R./75-gr . 2699/1213 . 2495/1037 . 2300/881 . . 2114/744 . 1937/625 . . 1769/521
                6.5 G./100 gr . 2600/1501 . 2398/1277 . 2205/1079 . 2021/907 . 1847/757 . . 1683/629
                6.5 G./123 gr . 2582/1821 . 2429/1611 . 2281/1421 . 2139/1249 . 2001/1094 . 1869/954

In view of the above, if the street price of the new WOLF 6.5mm Grendel Steel Case ammo is compatible with their 5.56 Steel Case ammo, it's a great buy: one man's opinion.

Related reading: 6.5 Grendel Evolution (http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2011/...del-evolution/).
                Last edited by SHORT-N-SASSY; 06-26-2014, 01:20 AM.

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

For your viewing pleasure!

Last edited by bwaites; 06-26-2014, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Last edited by bwaites; 06-27-2014, 02:57 AM.

Comment

• rasp65
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                      For your viewing pleasure!

Looks like there is room for more powder

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2013

"Looks like there is room for more powder."

David Fortier reported 2,847 fps with the 100-grain Alexander Arms Berger Open-Tip Match, from a 20-inch barrel (http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2011/...del-evolution/).

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by rasp65 View Post
                          Looks like there is room for more powder
                          That's certainly not a 90-95% fill!

Comment

• cory
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2012

That's certainly not a 90-95% fill!
                            I suspect that load isn't above 45ksi. I understand that the Grendel is a relatively low psi round, but this is ridiculous.
                            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Gimmeee gimmeeee gimmmeeeee!!!!!

Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• NugginFutz
                                Chieftain
                                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                                Gimmeee gimmeeee gimmmeeeee!!!!!

Somebody give him a Snickers!!!
                                If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
                                X