• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
    Stan will not be happy until Wallymart carries steel cased ammo in disintegrating belts and even then he will complain it is too expensive and too heavy but the cases needs to have more volume so the velocity can be higher.

There are pallets of the stuff that arrived and there is more scheduled month on month. Put this in the context of CCI making 6,000,000 rounds of 22LR a day and perhaps it will be a little time before the LGS has spare boxes on the shelf.

I will endeavor to try and find out where the ammo has shipped but cannot promise anything as this is Wolf's deal. I suspect it has moved to the distributors. I do not have visibility of this as we were simply engaged to provide the technical assistance.
    Just mentally imaging that left me with a strong need for a cigarrette.LOL Thanks Bill.

Aren't you guys going to be selling it???

Thanks for the info too!

P.S.-- If you'd Grendelize my Shrike for me, I'd rename my child after you!

"Mmmmm.... Steel cased, disintegrating link at Wallymart" Goota go!
    Last edited by Variable; 07-18-2014, 03:18 PM.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Bill Alexander

Said in jest but in a real world we should be able to by steel cased Grendel at Wallyworld and they should also carry belted ammunition up to 50 cal.

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

Bill the question cam up in another thread another thread about twist rates with shorter barrels. We were really hoping you'd offer some advice. I don't expect you have time to read every thread, so I thought I'd post the question here. It's a little off topic here, but it's the imminent steel case ammo that gave the itch for an SBR Grendel. So I think I can justify it. haha

Originally posted by cory View Post
        Originally posted by HANKA View Post
        Sounds like 7.5" twist would be best, then, if that's what Bill A. used in his 10.5". I suspect any velocity gain going to 1:8 is barely measurable, if any, so the point is probably moot. Heck, what twist did he use in his 14.5s? I'll have to dig it up but I seem to remember it's 1:7.5.

Yep, from AA's 2010 catalog the 16, 14.5, and 10.5 are all listed as 1:7.5, so I think it's safe to assume he'd use that on a 12.5".
        I don't think I asked my question correctly. I thought he'd say 7.5" was the nominal twist. My question was more how would a 7" or 8" compare, so we know if it's worth paying more to get the 7.5" twist. If it's not I'd be interested in what he thinks about a 7" twist.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Stan will not be happy until Wallymart carries steel cased ammo in disintegrating belts and even then he will complain it is too expensive and too heavy but the cases needs to have more volume so the velocity can be higher.

Comment

• Originally posted by cory View Post
            Bill the question cam up in another thread another thread about twist rates with shorter barrels. We were really hoping you'd offer some advice. I don't expect you have time to read every thread, so I thought I'd post the question here. It's a little off topic here, but it's the imminent steel case ammo that gave the itch for an SBR Grendel. So I think I can justify it. haha
            A related question is whether the faster twist in the short barrels is due solely to the reduced muzzle velocity.

If so, then one can readily calculate the twist needed to maintain the same stability factor as muzzle velocity decreases and then correlate velocity to barrel length.

I could easily see a curve based on the the Hornady 123 gr SST where one starts with the 24" barrel and then plots twist needed as the barrel gets shortened to, say, 5" long.

These links have the tools needed: Stability factor at JBM Ballistics (http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi). Velocity vs Barrel Length at ShootersNotes.com (http://shootersnotes.com/calculator/velocity-estimator/).

Comment

• I saw some 6.8 at Wallymart today. Seeing 6.5 Grendel available in stores is on my bucket list. I'll bet its on Stans bucket list also.

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Said in jest but in a real world we should be able to by steel cased Grendel at Wallyworld and they should also carry belted ammunition up to 50 cal.
                Amen Good Sir! Amen!
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by hm2 clark View Post
                  I saw some 6.8 at Wallymart today. Seeing 6.5 Grendel available in stores is on my bucket list. I'll bet its on Stans bucket list also.
                  You betchum, Red Ryder. Along with a Grendel rifle or two.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2011

I commented earlier about how the air pocket in the nose of the new Wolf 6.5mm 100gr FMJ looked more like the air pocket in a 123gr, compared to the 6.5mm 100gr Lapua HPBT. Finally found the photo of the sectioned 100 Scenar, FWIW.
                    Attached Files
                    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• And you said that it yawed at about the 2 inch mark. Does that mean it will tumble shortly thereafter? or straighten back out?

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Isn't it the goal- to rupture, then tumble thru the body, to disrupt many of human body functions- systems, to fail to fight,,, or death??

Comment

• stanc
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by hm2 clark View Post
                          And you said that it yawed at about the 2 inch mark. Does that mean it will tumble shortly thereafter? or straighten back out?
                          Bullets don't tumble. They yaw. I'd imagine it will behave similar to the 5.45x39 7N6 bullet.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                            Need steelcase NOW please......

I called MidwayUSA Customer Service, this AM, and inquired about the WOLF 6.5 Grendel Steel Case ammo, still not listed among their other 6.5 Grendel offerings. The Rep checked and advised, "Not shown in our inventory, at this time. I'm sorry."

I then called WOLF Performance Ammo and spoke with James. He updates, as follows:

6.5 Grendel Steel Case ammo will be released, at the end of this month;

Re the 110-grain (WOLF website)/100-grain (David Fortier's recent AR-15.com Report on the 6.5 Grendel Steel Case ammo) projectile weight discrepancy, he clarified that they were back and forth on the weight of the projectile and finally settled on the 100 grain weight;

He still has not received a response to my previous query re the specific Ballistic Coefficient of the projectile used in this loading.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 2011

I would like to know to WHOM they intend to release it. End of July is not much more than one week away. Are we to assume he means any standard distributor of Wolf ammo?
                              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                                Warrior
                                • Apr 2013

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
                                I would like to know to WHOM they intend to release it. End of July is not much more than one week away. Are we to assume he means any standard distributor of Wolf ammo?
                                John,

During this morning's brief phone conversation, as shared above, I assumed that the new WOLF 6.5 Grendel Steel Case ammo will be released to current WOLF ammo Distributors, such as MidwayUSA. Prompted by your question, however, I moments ago called WOLF Performance Ammo and asked to speak to James. I was told he was out of the office. The person I talked to confirmed that the new Steel Case 6.5 Grendel will be released, at the end of this month, but could not clarify to what ammo Distributor(s).

Comment

Working...
                                X