• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by dmsims21 View Post
    Did anyone else have a ruptured case?
    I shot twenty rounds into a 4.5" circle at 100yds.
    One of the cases split open at the shoulder.
    Is that bad, or just something that happens with steel cases?
    I have shot thousands of 7.62X39 ,5.56 steel case ammo and have never noticed any ruptured cases. I plan on shooting more steel case Grendel ammo on Sunday but so far no ruptured cases or malfunctions of any kind . Does any of your brass cases show any bulges or excessive stretching when fired from the same rifle?

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I didn't notice any splits on mine, but in all fairness I wasn't really looking either. I dredged mine up with a magnet and they're sitting in a pan in the garage. I'll check them tomorrow if I get a chance.

The occasional rare split (in steel case ammo) wouldn't trouble me too much, as long as they don't separate or have cracks that go down too close to the base. This ammo seems pretty mild (like most Wolf), so I don't expect that'll be a problem.
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• dmsims21
        Warrior
        • Nov 2012

This split was at the shoulder. The split didn't break through the neck and didn't make it more than half way to the base.
        I don't think I have any issues with my chamber. Fired brass will still fit in my case gauge. They are just too long until sized.
        No bulges. Fired cases stick out the back of my case gauge about 0.005
        www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by dmsims21 View Post
          This split was at the shoulder. The split didn't break through the neck and didn't make it more than half way to the base.
          I don't think I have any issues with my chamber. Fired brass will still fit in my case gauge. They are just too long until sized.
          No bulges. Fired cases stick out the back of my case gauge about 0.005
          What barrel do you have?
          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• dmsims21
            Warrior
            • Nov 2012

I have a Lilja 319 with a true Grendel reamer.
            www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I dug through mine yesterday and didn't see any splits. My eyes are starting to suck, but FWIW at least there was nothing obvious in my empties so far.
              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

I checked all of my mine and no cracked cases.
                Last edited by montana; 09-14-2014, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• burnsome
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2011

tagaroonie for range shooting updates

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

The one case that split was just below the neck about 3/8" long. Shining a light into the case only showed a very small crack.

All the other Wolf steel cases were fine and the cracked case showed no signs of excessive pressure or other issue. I saw no issue in the chamber after cleaning my rifle. The crack reminds me how case mouths will split on brass cases. Since I'm not going to reload the steel cases this is not an issue for me with the price of the Wolf ammo.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 2011

I looked and looked for the Shotgun News issue that was supposed to have Fortier's article on Wolf 65G with the gel shot but haven't found it. Anybody seen it?
                      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
                        I looked and looked for the Shotgun News issue that was supposed to have Fortier's article on Wolf 65G with the gel shot but haven't found it. Anybody seen it?
                        John,

Shotgun News did publish David Fortier's article, STEEL-CASE 6.5MM GRENDEL, in their August 18, 2014 issue (http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ll=1#post97917), however, the black & white newspaper reproduction of his gel-shot photo didn't do it justice:

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                          Administrator
                          • Feb 2011

Thanks, SNS! Hard to see, exactly, but I appreciate you taking the time. And I don't know if the "early yaw cycle" was specifically designed to limit penetration, but we'll leave it at that!
                          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• stanc
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2011

Yes, thanks for posting that pic. I have to say, I'm not terribly impressed by what I can see of the wound channel.

I'm also a bit skeptical of the "prevent overpenetration" claim, since it looks to me like the bullet passed completely through the gel block.

Comment

• stanc
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha
                              Gordon and Shughart would have been better off slinging those for sure.
                              It wouldn't have made a difference. They were so badly outnumbered that the caliber of their rifles could not have changed their fate.

What Gordon and Shughart really needed:

Last edited by stanc; 09-24-2014, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                                Warrior
                                • Oct 2012

Bless your heart.

Comment

Working...
                                X