• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 454bore
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

6mmAR loads.

Been shooting a Grendel necked down to 6mm and it shoots well with 107 grain sierra match kings,95 grain ballistic tips,and 70 grain tnt's.
    Nothing has gone over and inch.
    The 107 SMK's shoot the best.
    Usually around half to 3/4 inch using 27.5 grains H-4895 and 31 grains CFE.
    XBR8208 shoots well also but can spike easy on pressure so been using CFE and H-4895 the most now.
    The 107SMK's have a B.C. of .530 and will try them at 300 and 500 yards later.
    This variant is a lot of fun to work with.
    Last edited by 454bore; 03-20-2016, 05:08 PM.
  • Vasux86
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

What velocities are you getting?

Comment

• 454bore
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

I haven't shot any loads through a chrono yet.
      With a 22 inch barrel the CFE load with the 107 SMK is probably be around 2700 fps.
      Last edited by 454bore; 03-21-2016, 12:12 AM.

Comment

• 454bore
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

Did some shooting through a chrono and got 2660 fps with the 107SMK using H-4895.
        2910 with 87 grain V-max using CFE.
        2710 with 105 A-max using XBR 8208.
        I've been turning 2 thou off the necks for more consistant neck tension and less pressure.

Comment

• am4966
          Chieftain
          • Jul 2014

I had always wondered what Cartridge they use for the 6mm/AR
          12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
          Surge - Rugged Suppressor
          Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• 204 AR
            Warrior
            • Sep 2015

Good info 454, I built a 243lbc this spring, also with a 22" barrel, 1-8 twist. It's quickly becoming my favorite. I'm mainly loading 55 gr varmageddons right now as I have a bunch of them. 31.6 gr of 8208 seems mild and runs 3450. I've had them close to 3600 but want max brass and barrel life. I am going to work on some loads with a2495, I'm up to 30.7, just shooting and looking for pressure signs, no crony or accuracy data yet. I also will be working on a load with 85 gr sierra bthp as I have a bunch of them and will use them for bigger game and longer ranges. Early data with them had them at 3020 fps using 29 gr of 8208 and bughole groups.

No chance to work with bigger bullets but I've read that the 95 gr smk is ideal, with a .480 bc and speeds over 2900 fps.

Comment

• 454bore
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

The 95 SMK does look pretty good.
              The 87 V-max zeroed at 200 needs 5 moa come up at 400 yards and the 105 A-max needs 5.5 so the lighter bullet is a little flatter.
              The 105 has more energy though and makes a better deer hunting bullet.
              It can pass through up to 600 yards usually.
              They're a lot like a ballistic tip.
              They're both still over 2000 fps at 400 yards.
              The berger 95 grain VLD hunting bullet is very good also.
              What I like a lot about the 6mmAR is you can use bullets from 55 to 107 grains and they're all usually easy to get and cheap.
              I can get the 105 A-max for 21 bucks per 100.
              It has shot some very small groups at 600 and 1000 yards.

Comment

• Huckleberry75
                Warrior
                • Jun 2018

Tag for later. Glad to see some info on the lighter pills.

Comment

• Popeye212
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2018

What barrels are you guys using about to build and upper in the 6mm AR?

Comment

• Trapper
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2014

I am using a Columbia River arms barrel in .243lbc, 22", 8 twist, it's the same as the 6mmAR and the 6mm Predator. Columbia makes the barrels for Black Hole Weaponry. They use polygonal rifling which give you about 100-200 fps more speed because of the way the rifling is cut.

Comment

• 204 AR
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2015

I now have 2, both 22" 1-8, one the bhw and one an arp. They run neck and neck for speeds and drops. The bhw might have a slight accuracy edge but it's close. I use 87 vmax almost exclusively now with imr 8208 as it's proven to be a good coyote bullet, bucks the wind great and doesn't drop much more than the light bullets at medium range and kicks their butt further out with much less drift. Barrel life? Who knows, the bhw has somewhere between 1500 and 2k rounds and still looks good in the bore scope.

Comment

• Popeye212
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Trapper View Post
                        I am using a Columbia River arms barrel in .243lbc, 22", 8 twist, it's the same as the 6mmAR and the 6mm Predator. Columbia makes the barrels for Black Hole Weaponry. They use polygonal rifling which give you about 100-200 fps more speed because of the way the rifling is cut.
                        So what dies do you order and is it not formed from the Grendel brass. That was where I was headed using the Grendel case. My other question is the bolt fit on ARP barrel extension proprietary to the his barrels. In other words will .136 BCG I have fit.

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
                          So what dies do you order and is it not formed from the Grendel brass. That was where I was headed using the Grendel case. My other question is the bolt fit on ARP barrel extension proprietary to the his barrels. In other words will .136 BCG I have fit.
                          The other thing to verify on Arp barrel extensions/bolts is whether the lug pattern is proprietary. The one Arp I had a few yrs ago had a different lug pattern somehow so it would only take his bolt, with a matching set of lugs. Which is ok, if you don't mind, as long as you can get his bolts... IIRC it was a more rounded shape at the lug/boltface intersect instead of squarish.
                          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• 204 AR
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2015

The arp bbl ext on the predator is standard, set for .136" bolts.

I use a Grendel bushing die, with .266 bushing for Hdy brass. You will need a couple intermediate ones for necking down the first time. Then a Hdy 6mm seater die.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                              Chieftain
                              • Oct 2016

So, something like a .254, then a 242/1?
                              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
                              X