• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hanselundgrendel
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2016

Hunting with the Grendel

I plan to get one of the new Howa mini action rifles. Will be used for whitetail deer, 200 yds or less and coyote, maybe at 100/150 yds. And of course, plinking and a general utility rifle.

This seems like a good caliber rifle for my plans. Do you all agree?

Will need your reccomended powder and primers for this caliber.

Thanks
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard!

We put together some reloading handbooks for the Grendel that will answer most, if not all of your questions, and then some.

We use small rifle primers with 6.5 Grendel. I think CCI450s are one of the preferred for competitive shooters, but most of the other SRPs will work just fine for your needs.

I like Hodgdon's CFE a lot in this cartridge. Most of your .308 and .223 Rem powders work well in 6.5 Grendel.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Roe
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

Yes it'll be fine. I wish the Howa was available when I built my Grendel.
      The aforementioned book was worth the money.
      CFE223 has worked very well, results in my rifle seems identical with a little less IMR8208BR

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

The books recommended above are worth the $ for loads and the second one is geared toward the hunter with good recommendations of bullets for game.

CFE223 is my go to powder for the Grendel, though lots of other powders work well with it.

As far as a hunting cartridge the Grendel is becoming one of my favorites, what's not to like, light recoil, accurate with plenty of energy delivered by good bullets to effectively take game further than most hunters should be shooting.

Comment

Working...
        X