• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • customcutter
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

Busy week with the Grendel & first coyote

I saw hogs every night this week. Mon and Tue, I watched the same group of 8 hogs on my side of the fence, but didn't shoot because I didn't want to cause a problem for the land owner where I am hunting. The neighbor takes clients out with dogs, and I've been told if I shoot one not to let it get back over on the bordering property. Wednesday night they didn't show up and I took a nice 150# sow, butchered it and sent the wife to buy a freezer the next morning.

Thursday night I watched another group of 8 on the other side of the fence, for several hours. Friday night, I called a friend to ask if he could help butcher some hogs, I had told the land owner about the hogs on her property and not shooting and she said to shoot them, so I said I would. He said he would so I was going to try and get several. The same group of 8 came out and fed up and down the fence line staying near the cattle, I was about to call it a night at 10:30, when 11 more showed up. I had 19 hogs feeding up and down the fence line, but none would come across the fence. After hunting all week my rechargables died at 1:30AM and I headed home.

Sat night, I headed back for a quick hunt. Glassed the front field nothing there or the neighbors where they had been all week, so I headed to the back. I got almost to the creek that splits the property and glassed again and spotted a coyote about 250 yds away. I dug out my distress call and gave a few quick calls, and sure enough she came loping in, cut the distance to about half and turned broadside. I was shaking like a leaf and finally able to keep the monopod from trembling like a divining rod and squeezed of the shot. DRT right behind the shoulder. I stepped it off at 135 steps. My first predator!

I headed back to the truck, and just before I got to it I glassed for the hogs one last time. Sure enough, there they were along the fence, I watched for less than a minute, when all of a sudden they made a mad dash like escaping felons, for about 200 yds into the pasture. Then they just stopped in the wide open pasture and started feeding in my general direction. I let the feed around to my right and about 100 yds closer. The closest one was about 50 yds away, I could tell he sensed something so I took a neck shot and he was DRT. I found another target a larger sow that was running and took another neck shot at about 75 yds, and the lens cap fell down over the lens. I got the lens cap off and started glassing, I found 1 large sow and 4 pigs, but couldn't locate the other sow, they were too far for a reasonable shot. I knew that I had hit her because I heard the bullet strike. I started glassing again, I finally located her and knew that she was hit, but didn't know how badly. She was moving pretty good and headed to the other property. I shot and heard the impact, it spun her back end around, I aimed further forward and shot again and heard the impact. She was barely moving now, but I had strict instructions not to allow hogs to get back on the other property. I shot 2 more times and heard both impacts, she was finally down less than 100 yds from the fence.

Upon inspection the first shot was through the neck, but low so it didn't break the neck. The second shot hit just in front of the hams, 3rd shot was just behind the ribs, 4th shot was through the ribs, and the 5th shot was through the shoulders. I think the first shot was a fatal shot, and she would have laid down at the first brush she encountered.

DVR is still down, I'll try to post pics as soon as I can.
  • wraith1516
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

God I wish we had pigs like that around here at least I would have something to shoot at because all the ASSHOLES in favor of antler point restrictions got there way and have ruined deer hunting love shooting small (tender and delicious) bucks and I cant because they think every body should trophy hunt

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Looking forward to the pics/video.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• customcutter
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

Here is a pic of the sow killed on Wed night and the crane I rigged to go in the hitch. Jr. my helper in my business is lifting her.
        [IMG][/IMG]

Here is the coyote, I said it was my first. Actually it is the first I have called in. I have killed 5 others, but never while specifically hunting coyotes.
        [IMG][/IMG]

Here is the sow, how she made it to where she did is beyond me? First shot was at the neck at about 75 yds running slightly quartered away on my right. Apparently no exit wound.
        [IMG][/IMG]
        Here's a group picture before butchering. I was able to save both hams, backstraps, and part of the ribs on the sow. There were two reasons for making the crane. One I have a bad back, and two I left roughly 50# of good ribs off of the first two sows I killed Friday a weed ago when I butchered them on the ground. Everything else was donated to the local Buzzard Preservation Society as 00Spy is fond of saying.
        [/IMG]
        Last edited by customcutter; 03-22-2016, 02:19 AM.

Comment

• customcutter
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

Can't seem to get the last image to load. If you right click on it. You can open in a seperate page.

If anyone is interested in the crane let me know I can post details and pics on how it's made.

Sorry the DVR is still non-functioning. I did find a dead battery, so it has to have a charged battery even if it is also running off of the back-up battery pack for the Zeus. Also I found a cable that had been pinched when locking down the levers on the scope. I'm going to have to send it in to see if there was any internal damage. It will turn on and play recorded video's, just won't record. AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!
          Last edited by customcutter; 03-22-2016, 02:31 AM.

Comment

• newb
            Warrior
            • Feb 2015

Very nice.

Comment

• Ridz
              Unwashed
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by wraith1516 View Post
              God I wish we had pigs like that around here at least I would have something to shoot at because all the ASSHOLES in favor of antler point restrictions got there way and have ruined deer hunting love shooting small (tender and delicious) bucks and I cant because they think every body should trophy hunt
              Are you really wishing Michigan had pig problems like Florida and Texas? I like to hunt them too but I'd rather keep and hunt them down there. By the way, female deer are also "tender and delicious".

Comment

• Beerswimmer
                Warrior
                • Dec 2015

Nice work!! What bullet did you use, and how did it perform?

Originally posted by wraith1516 View Post
                I hear ya. I had a group of does and spikes walk 50 yards in front of me....no meat that day
                UT ALII VIVANT !!!

Comment

• customcutter
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2014

St 123s all one shot kills except the one sow, hit her low in the neck running. All had holes the size of my fist on off side neck, shoulder, or spine.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

Good shooting!

The neck is really interesting as a target on hogs. It tends to do well. Hitting the spine or close to the spine is often enough to put them down either by direct impact or my hydrostatic shock. Close to the head like yours should have had the double bonus of hydrostatic shock to the brain, but counting on hydrostatic shock is a bit of a fool's game. While neck shots often work well and like your sow, will usually be fatal (eventually), there is a LOT of non-vital tissue in the neck as well. So if you don't damage a major blood vessel, trachea, or spine, the hog may be in for a long run.

Got any pics of the fist sized exit wounds??
                    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• customcutter
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2014

The exit wounds through the hide were normal, approximately 1" in diameter. But the tissue damage below the hide was incredible. The sow that was being lifted on the crane was hit in the upper shoulder, the backstrap on the opposite side was completely severed. The same with one of the neck shot sows killed the week before, when I removed the backstraps her's was also severed. The small boar actually was hit in the vertabrae in the neck. The thin skinned coyote on the other hand had about a 2" exit wound right behind the shoulder. Right click on the last IMG and open in another screen.

Comment

• Beerswimmer
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2015

Here ya go CC
                        UT ALII VIVANT !!!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2013

Cool. Thanks!
                          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• am4966
                            Chieftain
                            • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Ridz View Post
                            Are you really wishing Michigan had pig problems like Florida and Texas? I like to hunt them too but I'd rather keep and hunt them down there. By the way, female deer are also "tender and delicious".
                            We Have pigs in Michigan, but they are not a hug problem like they are in Texas. Domestic pigs that got out of the pins and eventually will be hogs. Who knows what will come of the issue over time.

If those hunters want trophy's all they have to do is hunt in the southern part of the state, since the deer are bigger down here and more of them. Imo the deer is smaller and you go north and less of them.
                            12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                            Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                            Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• customcutter
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2014

Thanks Beerswimmer, I appreciate the tech help.

Comment

Working...
                              X