• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Berger VLD-Hunting Takes A 150 lb Sow

Well, we were a bit surprised by these hogs. I was expecting that if we saw hogs, they would be in the bottoms on our left side and the Hessian spied them off to our right. Didn't get a chance to focus as by the time I verified that there were hold and got my rifle onto shooting sticks, we were busted and at that point, it was a matter of finding a target.

The Berger VLD-Hunting performed quite well, with good penetration and handling light bone just fine. Actually, it had a lot of penetration and I am rather surprised by this, happy, but surprised.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 03-29-2016, 01:15 PM.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

As always a fine vid sir.

Some fine fire control around them beef critters as well.

When I get my night hunting rig up and running I need a invite to shoot some of them texas hogs bro.
    Make you a trade on it texas hunt for a louisiana hunt.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Sweet video again. The quartering shots are often where the VLD will display erratic behavior, but it worked out for you.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

Erratic, how?

However, if a round is only suitable for use from a given direction, then maybe it isn't a very good hunting round.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Instead of plowing through along the point of aim, they tend to veer off at different directions.

Those who prefer them tend to wait for broadside only shots as a result. I think it's just the nature of the construction with the fragile and long nose.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Drillboss
            Warrior
            • Jan 2015

Looks like you have two reasonably good data points.

Keep shooting and see what happens.

Comment

• jawbone
              Warrior
              • Jan 2012

another great vid and excellent shooting in a tricky environ. thanks again, 00Spy.

also, loved the Firefly idea. is that a bike safety strobe?
              Last edited by jawbone; 03-30-2016, 07:28 AM.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by jawbone View Post
                another great vid and excellent shooting in a tricky environ. thanks again, 00Spy.

also, loved the Firefly idea. is that a bike safety strobe?
                Yeah, and hats off to my partner as well who tracked three running hogs and never fired because of the risk to cattle. Sometimes it is mentally harder not to shoot than it is to shoot.

Funny you should ask about the lights and suggest it was a bike strobe. Long story, but you can skip it and pull up the product link below. The idea came about because of finding hogs in waist high oats. Last year, we shot several one night, but could only find one. To speed things along, we dumped the gear we were carrying with that hog and continued our searching with no luck. Then we found we had lost the original hog and all our gear. It took us 30-45 minutes to refind that hog and gear. It was really pretty pitiful.

The next week, we left tripod shooting sticks with my head lamp standing above the dead hog. The tripod was to elevate the light above the oats. Well, I needed my headlamp, so we bought bike strobes. Decent idea, but they were bulky and served no other purpose. I broke mine.

Then I found these. http://www.amazon.com/HOSL-Multicolo...antern+Balloon. You can buy in smaller quantity, but 24 for $10 or 60 for $16, we just bought the larger pack.

They are disposable. They run bright for ~4 hours and then start to fade and will run another 2-4 hours, IIRC. So these are nothing more than cheap party favors to go on helium balloons. My wife puts them on hoop earrings for parties. So they are lightweight which means that they can be affixed to the stalks of tall grass (no need for a tripod). If you lose or break one, you are out only pennies.

And there's my overly long explanation. :-)

Comment

• jawbone
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2012

long explanation appreciated. likely saved me a frustrating step or two. Firefly solution is brilliant. will order some by next deer season. thanks again, 00Spy.

Comment

• customcutter
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

I would have guessed it was a broadside shot, but hard to tell with the vegetation blocking the view. Thanks for the idea of the firefly's. I need to get some.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

You can also plug your gear position into GPS, use IR chem lights if you have Night Vision, or use visible spectrum chem lights.

They are cheap, and you can make them directional.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                      X