• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PredatorDown
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
    Holy crap that's a good idea...

On a side note, did you go to the LRSU black friday milk jug challenge? I know you have been pushing your 7mm SAUM WAY out there.
    Wow, I've really gotta start checking this place more often lol.

Yep, went and did the Black Friday 1000yd MJC. I tried it with the Grendel shooting the 118gr Cavity Back Bullets and wasn't able to connect. Had several shots within a couple inches, just one of those days I guess.

I've been doing most of my work lately with the 7SAUM and 270wsm switch barrel setup. I was able to push the SAUM out to 2647 (1.5 miles) a little while back, and still push the 270wsm to a mile. I can't even remember the last time I shot the SAUM closer than 1000 yards lol. 270wsm is currently my primary long range prairie dog setup.

I've also got another build and semi-build in the works right now. The full build I'm doing is on an old Ruger M77 tang safety currently chambered in .243 Win. Will be converting it to a 20" 6.5 Creedmoor and using it as my dedicated lightweight hunting rifle. Will be throated to shoot the Barnes 127gr LRX or 120gr TTSX. It will see the most use on coyotes (might also work up a load with the 100gr amax for them), but is being built with deer/elk hunting in mind.

The other semi-build I'm doing is really just another barrel and scope for my switch barrel setup. Talking with a smith in Arkansas, he's creating a dedicated long range prairie dog wildcat for me. Should be able to launch the 6mm 87gr vmax at 3700fps! Assuming it'll get that velocity, it'll only take 11.25moa of drop to hit 800yds from a 100yd zero! It'll also be topped with a Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60x52, so seeing the little critters at extended ranges shouldn't be an issue so long as mirage allows.

All in all, plenty of exciting things happening over here lol. Also hosting a group for some ELR shooting in the spring. Some of them are hoping to stretch out to 2.5 miles (4400yds)! The same smith developing the 6mm wildcat for me has already developed a 375 for ELR shooting. Has less than half the drop at 2 miles as a 338LM! He'll be coming out for that one, and I believe the goal is to get to the full 2.5 miles, more if we have the real estate for it

Comment

• mdewitt71
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

Great Idea....... almost puts my $75 Scope Mount Kit to shame but, I got the lapping tools too.
      Thanks for sharing.
      ― George Orwell

Comment

• hikfromstik
        Warrior
        • Oct 2016

This method works great . I still used a level because it was my first time and it all lined up perfect. I showed a friend and he went straight home and redid all of his scopes . I always eyeballed mine thinking it would be fine , Boy was I wrong . My new vortex razor hd has a bubble level and when I leveled the scope and on board level I was back to 0.5" groups again just like my old scope . I've passed this knowledge to a few other gun people .

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
          Warrior
          • Aug 2015

damn! I wish I would've seen this a few days ago. Never knew of the flashlight trick. I'm going to have to check mine when I get home. Nice! Thanks!

Comment

• mtptwo
            Unwashed
            • Apr 2017

Now patent a fancy flashlight holder that will clip onto the end of the scope and make a million.

Comment

Working...
            X