• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PredatorDown
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

Leveling Your Rifle Scope

Thought I'd do a quick how-to on the fastest, easiest, and cheapest way I've found to level out the scope on your rifle.

The first thing I'll do is eyeball the scope close to level, then check for eye relief. I'll make sure to check it on both minimum and maximum zoom, to make sure that no matter the magnification I can get a proper eye box. Barely snug up the rings to the point that it will hold the scope steady, but you can still freely rotate it.

I will then set the rifle up on a bipod, with books or something similar under the pistol grip to elevate it slightly beyond level (if you set everything up on a table, just set the rifle level front to back). Make sure the back of the rifle is about 10' away from a blank wall in your home.

I happen to have a scope mount with a built-in level, but if you don't then a small $3 level placed on your rail will suffice.

Level the rifle out side to side. Turn out the lights, and shine a flashlight through the front of your scope. You should see the reticle projected onto the wall behind the rifle, although it may take some focusing to get a clear picture. Hang a plumb bob (any kind of string with some kind of small weight on the bottom) from the wall near the center of where the reticle is projected from the flashlight. Give the string a minute or two to calm down and be completely still.

If needed, position the center of the reticle to where it lines up with the plumb bob. That way, when you rotate the scope it will stay centered on the line. Now you're ready to get the scope oriented to where it lines up perfectly with the plumb bob. Confirm that you didn't accidentally adjust the rifle when rotating the scope, and if everything is level you're good to torque down the rings to their proper spec.

If you have a bubble level you're wanting to attach to the scope, now is the time to do it. Make sure the rifle is still level, and the reticle still matches the plumb bob, and adjust the bubble level to match. I will then usually do one final double check, and then you're done!

The only two things you would possible have to buy (assuming you don't already own them) is the flashlight and the small level. I'm sure most of us have a flashlight or two kicking around, so really the only expense for this setup would be the $3 level from Home Depot.

• AZ. Old Guy
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Now why didn't I think of that. Thanks
    NRA Lifer

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

Great idea. I'll be giving it a try soon. Thanks!
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• jim_bob
        Warrior
        • Jul 2014

Pro Tip! Thank you sir.

Comment

• OLDCOOT
          Bloodstained
          • Apr 2015

Thank you. A rare ingenious and cheap fix.

Comment

• jeff556
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2015

Brilliant!

Comment

• smithsession8
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2015

I'd never heard of this! I love it. I'll be using it this week when I finally get my first Grendel together and mount glass to it!

Question: Is it necessary to make sure that the rifle is perpendicular to the wall and front to back level? I figure the angles would still remain the same, but sometimes I'm spatially challenged without it in front of me. AKA if you had (extreme example to illustrate the point) your rifle 45 degrees to the wall, then is it possible that the lines would appear unlevel from the angled projection?

Comment

• PredatorDown
                Warrior
                • Jun 2014

Originally posted by smithsession8 View Post
                I'd never heard of this! I love it. I'll be using it this week when I finally get my first Grendel together and mount glass to it!

Question: Is it necessary to make sure that the rifle is perpendicular to the wall and front to back level? I figure the angles would still remain the same, but sometimes I'm spatially challenged without it in front of me. AKA if you had (extreme example to illustrate the point) your rifle 45 degrees to the wall, then is it possible that the lines would appear unlevel from the angled projection?

If the rifle is level front to back, then it should still project a level reticle even if it isn't perpendicular to the wall. It's pretty easy to eyeball it close enough to perpendicular that it shouldn't matter, especially if the rifle is at least close to level front and back

Comment

• silvertipCO
                  Unwashed
                  • Apr 2016

very cool, ive scoped a 100 rifles but never tried this. and often times my level level isn't plumb( as checked by shooting and seeing diagonalish group tracking)

Comment

• just_john
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2012

another reason to be reasonably perpendicular to the wall is that if there is any lean to the wall ( and an amazing number of walls are not plumb ) then as the angle of the rifle to the wall decreases, its shadow will no longer show to be vertical but will follow the angle of the wall

Comment

• Rickc
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2016

This little gadget is awesome for installing a scope level. Some mounts don't have the clearance for it but the ones that do takes all the.guesswork out of it.

Then I take the rifle out in the yard, hang a plumb Bob out about 50 yrds away and check for a level recticle. Most people hold their rifle on a cant. This will show you that too. If you have it on a cant and the margins are the same top and bottom you are good to go.

Some long range shooters who hold their rifles canted actually set their scopes up taking into account their cant. Your rifle doesn't actually have.to be.level to work at long range but the cross hairs in the scope do.

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Good spot...The original idea comes from SPUHR in Sweden, but theirs costs 40USD;

Comment

• Joseph5
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2012

If your scope has a flat on the bottom of where the adjustment turrets are and you have a flat top receiver you can put a piece of metal that has parallel sides like a chisel in between the scope and receiver and twist so the parallel edges go up and down. If your rings are loose enough for your scope to rotate in, the edge pushing on the flat spot on the underside or the scope tube will cause it to rotate so the flat spot is parallel with the top of the receiver then tighten your rings and you are done.

Comment

• James Gray
                            Unwashed
                            • Nov 2016

Just awesome thank you

Comment

• Kilco
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2016

Holy crap that's a good idea...

On a side note, did you go to the LRSU black friday milk jug challenge? I know you have been pushing your 7mm SAUM WAY out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X