• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

3rd Hog with 130 gr. Berger VLD-Hunting Bullets

There should have been a 4th hog, but that sucker moved faster than just about any hog I have ever seen and my shots did not connect.

Still, the landowner was quite pleased. He has two nice backstraps and those two hogs won't be coming around for the opening of turkey season on Saturday.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • 81police
    Warrior
    • Feb 2013

another great video, I especially like the color of the footage. Them swines are fast movers!
    John 11:25-26

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

I hope my experience is giving you the insight you wanted. I thought the Berger VLD-Hunting did well with hitting multiple bones in this case.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Another great video, I look forward to watching your videos!

Comment

• customcutter
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

Great video, and one fast hog! Looks like the Bergers are lethal as well.

Comment

• am4966
            Chieftain
            • Jul 2014

Those Berger's sure seem to be a quality hunting bullet. I'm thinking it will do the trick for most/if not all game here in Michigan. But Looking forward to more kills, here in the near future.

Great video, loved the sepia
            12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
            Surge - Rugged Suppressor
            Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• jawbone
              Warrior
              • Jan 2012

holding my breath, waiting for the shot to break, thought i was gonna pass out. worth the wait. beautiful shot.

Comment

• Roe
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

Brilliant!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by jawbone View Post
                  holding my breath, waiting for the shot to break, thought i was gonna pass out. worth the wait. beautiful shot.
                  I was too! I was really hoping that these were just the first members of a sounder coming in to the feeder as I had heard a bunch of noise in the grass before they arrived. Apparently, it was just the two of them, but I don't know for sure as I didn't wait very long. My plan was to wait until they got to the feeder (another 50 yards or so distant) as that is where they appeared to be headed. The gun is zeroed for that distance. The extra distance and the feeder being mostly out in the open would give me more time to follow up on a runner, but it never came to that.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

This was interesting...

I saw this video a few years ago and was reminded of it recently after having a similar experience. That is, being surprised at how much the trajectory of a bullet can change when passing through an animal. The concern is that animal animal, not anywhere near the original target trajectory, may be wounded or killed as a result. You can skip to about 3:30 and the shot comes at 3:45. Note how the bullet impacts the dirt well up and to the right of the hog by the juniper tree.

Michael May's video:

I had a similar experience as well. In both cases, we were shooting at hog and from well elevated position where the expected result of a pass-thru is a round impacting the dirt behind the hog. I can't comment on Michael May's video above in terms of there being a change of elevation, but the windage deflection was significant. In my case, the defection was both in elevation and windage.

My hog was located approximate 18' below my shooting position. I was in a tower blind and shooting down hill. There is a berm behind the hog to catch water that runs down the hill. The hog is near the low spot between the hill and the berm and the bullet impact up on the side of the berm and well to the right of the hog.

My video:

The shot hit the hog at the base of the ear, clipped the rear of the skull, and penetrated the neck vertebrae before exiting lower and further back on the neck on the other side, but at least part of the bullet deflected high and right, impacting the berm.

For me and doing hog control efforts on client/host properties, hunting around livestock isn't uncommon. It seems to be getting more common as the hog population grows and as the hogs take refuge in cattle herds (and not just for me). I don't have a problem with hunting near or through cattle, but it is important that the targeted hog be chosen wisely, especially given the potential for deflection.

Some folks don't hunt around livestock, and I get that, but this isn't just relevant to those of us who do. This is also relevant to those who hunt wildlife where there are strict tag/bag limits, and an accidental pass-thru, even an indirect deflection resulting in the killing of a second animal is frowned upon by game officials.

Hopefully, this information will be helpful to other hunters when it comes time to pull the trigger.

Comment

• customcutter
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2014

Great point, and something we all need to think about. We like to think that the bullet travels in a straight line, but that isn't always the case. Thanks for the videos that clearly point that out.

Comment

Working...
                      X