• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cooolnman
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2016

WTB- used or new 20 to 24" heavy contour barrel 6.5 grendel

Looking to buy a heavy contour barrel. I'm currently shooting a 18" but want to stretch out to 1000 yards. Any information on where to buy, what twist rates are best for long range, what barrel and manufacturers are best for sub moa accuracy. . I'm new to long range and don't want to waste a lot of money figuring out what is best.. HELP ME HOARD. .. please.............
  • leopard6.5
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2016

Sorry if this is kind of a hijack here but why aren't you shooting your 18" out to 1000 yards? I have been for years.
    LRRPF52 has a whole thread with pictures where he was shooting at either 1000 or 1200 yards with his 17.5 inch barrel.
    You might want to check it out.

Good luck and great shooting.

Lee

Comment

• Cooolnman
      Unwashed
      • Mar 2016

From what I read it takes 20 plus inches of barrel .. I have a medium contour fluted barrel and have shot to 600 but have to attempted further yet. I'm also setting up a second grendel.. I'm kinda new here and to the grendel, Thnx for the info I wasn't aware a 18 could get it done. I'm shooting sub moa at 100 and 1" groups at 300 so far.

Comment

• customcutter
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

Stay with 1-8 for 18" or less, for 20" or longer you can go with 1-9 twist rate. Your 18" is capable of reaching 1000 yds. LRRPF52 actually does with a 16", but that's at altitude in Utah. There's really no need to go with a longer barrel unless it's going to ride a bench. If you plan on hunting with it stay with the shorter barrels, extra length is extra weight. I thought I wanted a 24" and built an 18", now I'm building a light weight, they get heavy after a couple hours chasing pigs or coyotes.

Comment

• Cooolnman
          Unwashed
          • Mar 2016

Sweet. Ty for the info... Gonna try to stretch this 18 out... see how she does. Is 1" a good group at 300? I have a sightron III mounted on top of it. I'm told it is good for the range at 1000...

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

You may need a 20 MOA base to get enough elevation on your scope to get to 1000. My 1" tube Luepold runs out of elevation for my 16" 6.5 Grendel around 800 yards at 350' ASL.

Just did a quick check with the Hornady ballistic calculator, 123 grain bullet .510 BC at 2480 FPS (achievable velocity from an 18" barrel) needs 42 MOA adjustment or 12.2 mils to get to 1000 yards. My scope has about 70 MOA of adjustment so roughly 35 MOA come ups with a non canted mount. I'm probably going to add a 20 MOA mount to my 16" 6.5 Grendel so I can shoot a little further.
            Last edited by VASCAR2; 04-02-2016, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• leopard6.5
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2016

Oh by the way, when I first got into the Grendel game back around 2006-07, I talked to Bill A. about the round and he stated to me that when they did there testing they found the 18" barrel length to be the most accurate for whatever reason or reasons.
              I have a picture of an 18" Satern double fluted( fluted under the handguard and in front of the gas block) barreled rifle in my ad in the for sale section if you want to see what one looks like.
              Unfortunately, I don't think Satern makes these barrels anymore with the SAAMI spec. chamber. I always found these really accurate for me.

Once again good luck.

Lee

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

It is one of the great conundrums......Short barrels are less whippy, thus more likely to be repeatedly accurate. But you loose velocity....so you need to start faster, which creates more stress on the brass and chamber.

Everything is a trade off!

Comment

• Drillboss
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Cooolnman View Post
                  Sweet. Ty for the info... Gonna try to stretch this 18 out... see how she does. Is 1" a good group at 300? I have a sightron III mounted on top of it. I'm told it is good for the range at 1000...
                  One inch is a good group at 100 yards. One inch at 300 falls more into the "very good" range. There are some other adjectives like awesome that could probably be used.

Comment

• Cooolnman
                    Unwashed
                    • Mar 2016

I have a 20 moa scope mount, quik detachable with a lifetime warranty and guaranteed zero. I belive I have a good start .. I have to figure out how to get pics uploaded and I will send some pics. I have been shooting 123 amax.. I just got a box of smk 107 grains I'm going to test tomorrow.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

1" at 300yds with 6.5mm is normally money for shooting 1000yds, as long as you use a good bullet with a higher BC.

123gr AMAX will do it all day, at least for me it does, and not even pushing the pressure with mild hand loads. I couldn't see where my hits were as I was shooting on my own with the little 2.5-10x32 Vortex, so I broke the 1st shot and waited for a ding, heard it, then unloaded another 5 rounds at least, whatever was left in the mag. I was shooting off the bipod with a rear bag, holding well into the wind, as I had pretty active flags blowing out. I heard...ding ding ding ding ding ding, but couldn't see anything when I checked my spotting scope. At the end of the day, I made the range cold, drove out there, and saw this (the 3rd group not circled are from a 20" SR25 with 178gr Hornady AMAX):

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Cooolnman
                        Unwashed
                        • Mar 2016

Shot today at steel at 600. Hit well about 4 to 6" groups . First time shooting at that range. I should be able to tighten them up next time out.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

600yds is child's play for 6.5 Grendel.

I have had many kids now connect 1st-round on 600yds steel with my 16" and 17.6" Grendel's.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Ride The
                            Unwashed
                            • Dec 2015

If your still looking I have a 20" hbar profile Criterion chambered by Precision Firearms with a PF NIB headspaced bolt

Comment

• StockDog
                              Unwashed
                              • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Cooolnman View Post
                              Looking to buy a heavy contour barrel. I'm currently shooting a 18" but want to stretch out to 1000 yards. Any information on where to buy, what twist rates are best for long range, what barrel and manufacturers are best for sub moa accuracy. . I'm new to long range and don't want to waste a lot of money figuring out what is best.. HELP ME HOARD. .. please.............
                              I am about to build up a 20" Shilen in 6.5 Grendel. I have had my eye on an 18" from JP.

I would sell the 20" to you if you are interested. This barrel new is $465.00. I would sell for $325 with a matching AA bolt.
                              Last edited by StockDog; 05-30-2016, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X