• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

4th Berger Hog...Got Away

No hog recovery this time despite a goodly amount of blood. Shot the hog through the neck and while there was a stumble and spurting of blood after the shot went through (not spray from the shot itself), the hog took off. The second was where I aimed, but either the shot passed through with no result, or it passed behind the hog. It would not be unexpected for a low body 2nd impact to yield little immediate result, but the shot looked late. Shot three was a low miss.

During the run, two globs seem fall from the hog and do not appear to be excrement. Both seemed to dissipate when hitting the ground. Blood or body tissue? Stomach contents? Don't know. Did not see them at the time and never looked for a blood trail in the shooting area. Instead, picked up the the blood trail further up the path where the hog was last seen.

Despite a long blood trail, it started petering out among the briar and poison ivy as I was crawling on my hands and knees on varmint trails. Mr. TBR (landowner) had reached a stopping point and was providing a light for me to find my way back and when I reached the point where I could not make out his light anymore is when I finally gave up.

It was pretty interesting, inside of 30 minutes of being shot and laying down the blood trail, ants had found the blood. Often, finding the blood was a matter of finding the ants.

And there you have it.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Drift
    Warrior
    • Nov 2014

Wonderful video - as always! Your shot placement appeared perfect. You were using enough gun. It should have been DRT....Could be the 130gr Berger fragmented on the plate and shoulder bone, then little pieces of shrapnel exited the far side of the hog. Sooo ....maybe big energy dump but not enough core penetration?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

Drift, I am at a loss, both of the hog and why it didn't go down. I don't think I connected with any significant bone and would bet it is all soft tissue or soft tissue and light bone (ribs).

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

The sample sizes might still be a bit small for reasonable conclusions, but, how often do you see similar results with the 123 gr SST / AMAX?
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

You know, the terminal performance has not been impressive to me. I think that for the Grendel @ 2400 fps (my rifle) and non-long range hunting, the Berger bullets at 40% more cost are not delivering 40% better terminal performance than my SST rounds. You can make them work. You can make FMJ work, but that isn't the point. Maybe you longer range hunters will find a true benefit from Berger, but I am not seeing it.

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

My sample size with Berger hunting VLD bullets has been small but inconsistent enough that I am no longer hunting with them. All of those I have tried have been 140s from a 6.5-284 started at 2900fps and was hopping you would be having better luck with them at the lower velocity. At about the same cost my next ones to try will be the Nosler long range accubonds.

Comment

• jawbone
              Warrior
              • Jan 2012

excellent video, 00Spy. and, yes, the Buzzard Preservation Society will keep your honored membership in good standing.

Comment

• Roe
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                You know, the terminal performance has not been impressive to me. I think that for the Grendel @ 2400 fps (my rifle) and non-long range hunting, the Berger bullets at 40% more cost are not delivering 40% better terminal performance than my SST rounds. You can make them work. You can make FMJ work, but that isn't the point. Maybe you longer range hunters will find a true benefit from Berger, but I am not seeing it.
                That is my experience with Berger as well. Only used it twice on red deer, 6.5x284 w Berger 140. First shot pencilled, followup worked. No more Berger for me.

Comment

• usmc1371
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2011

Nice video. I think you did just great. The buzzards will find him.

Comment

• Drift
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2014

PF does sell 129gr loaded Accubonds for about (+ $10 I think) the same cost . I do believe they work noticeably better on hogs. Maybe 25 % better than the 123gr factory stuff. But. I also notice increase in felt recoil, which makes running follow up shots harder.

Comment

• am4966
                      Chieftain
                      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Drift View Post
                      PF does sell 129gr loaded Accubonds for about (+ $10 I think) the same cost . I do believe they work noticeably better on hogs. Maybe 25 % better than the 123gr factory stuff. But. I also notice increase in felt recoil, which makes running follow up shots harder.
                      I think a good muzzle break would help. If you got them and felt a noticeable change in recoil. I would buy the LMD Break from PF...
                      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• earl39
                        Unwashed
                        • Sep 2014

Lehigh has some good bullets. 95gr controlled chaos. They work great on whitetails and the two small (read 75lbs) pigs i have hit with them only took a couple of steps.

Comment

• customcutter
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2014

Great video 00spy. Your shot placement was almost identical to the sow that ran on me also except that she was slight quartering IIRC. Anyway it was slightly low in my opinion, and she ran. Not as fast as your's and I was able to connect on the next 4 and got her anchored before she crossed the property line. The buzzards found him I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
                          X