• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rockfish Dave
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2016

Thanks for making my build a success

So got it together and tested at 100 over the weekend and am very pleased with the result.

Parts list:

Carbine Buffer tube
    JP Silent Capture Buffer Spring - JPSCS2-15H2
    JP LMOS™ Carrier Group with 6.5G JP EnhancedBolt™
    VTLOR stock
    Raptor Charging handle
    SLR HELIX 15" MLOK Handguard
    SLR Sentry 7 Clamp On Adjustable Gas Block - Titanium
    SLR Black Nitrite Mid Length Gas Tube
    Satern 18" Medium Profile Cut 5R 1:8.75 twist
    Rugged Suppressors 5/8x24tpi flash hider
    Battle Arms Dev. (BAD) BAD556-LW Lightweight 7075-T6 Billet Receiver Set
    BAD Titanium take down pins
    BAD BAD-CASS-SA Combat Ambi Safety Selector
    BAD BAD-EMR Enhanced Magazine Release - Anodized BLACK
    BAD Titanium grip screw
    Norgon Ambi Catch
    Gissele SSA-E Trigger
    SWFA 1-6x24
    ADM QD 0 MOA mount
    (To be replaced with a SWFA SS 5-20x50MM scope and AADMOUNT 20 MOA mount)

Weight: Light

Shooting it was ranging around 1/2 MOA. I expect it will be improved with a better scope.

We set up steel out to 1,000 so I will not be limited to 400 at my property going forward.

Those that were there were amazed at the amount of energy transferred to the steel for such a small cartridge, as well as the lack of felt recoil (I attribute that to the SLR adjustable gas block and heavy buffer).

Special consideration(s):
    1) Bedded with Loctite 234772 Green 620 High Temperature Retaining Compound, 10 mL Bottle, with release agent applied to extension
    2) Upper face trued using Brownells truing tool and valve lapping compound.

Only picture I have:
    Last edited by Rockfish Dave; 04-11-2016, 08:27 PM.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Looking great. Grendel doesn't recoil much for a rifle cartridge, kinda like a .30-30 shooting a light 125gr load.

Do you hand load any?
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Rockfish Dave
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2016

When adjusting the gas block, starting with it closed, it had a nice sharp recoil. Just like a light weight bolt gun (kind of makes sense if you think about it). It was nothing like my Ultra Mags, or a 24" barreled 50 BMG, but yes it was nice and sharp. That said my five year old daughter squeezed off a few with the gas shut off, so no it was not intolerable or excessive.

As I continued to adjust the gas, the buffer would absorb more of the felt recoil, until I reached the point that it would reliably lock the bolt open after the last round. In the end I was spotting my own shots at 25 yards while function testing off hand... that is light recoil in my book.

'Do I hand load?' yes, but after doing the math, it was roughly the same cost for me to buy brass and load, or buy loaded ammo for the first firing and then reload. I opted factory loaded for donor brass. I paid, without shipping, .92 cents per round.
      Last edited by Rockfish Dave; 04-12-2016, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

I asked about hand loading/reloading in case you didn't have the reloading handbooks for 6.5 Grendel yet.

I use ammoseek for factory ammo, where I usually get the Hornady for between $17-18.50 per box, ordered in at least 200rd bundles.

PSA also has had PPU Grendel for $9.99 per box of 20, which is great practice ammo.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Rockfish Dave
          Bloodstained
          • Feb 2016

Thanks, I used ammo seek as well as others and that was the best deal going.

I might use ppu, but admittedly have more confidence and prefer my hand loads.

I have read ppu brass is not so great, but may buy some for plinking loads as you suggested.
          Last edited by Rockfish Dave; 04-12-2016, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• Vasux86
            Warrior
            • Apr 2015

Sweet looking rifle.

Comment

• Rockfish Dave
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Vasux86 View Post
              Sweet looking rifle.
              Thanks. I'm really looking forward to using this for hunting. I had been using my LMT MWS for years as it was a absolute hammer, but the bulk and weight just wore on me.

This should bridge between my bolt actions and 223 ar's quite nicely.

Comment

• TropicalVibe
                Warrior
                • Mar 2015

Looks and sounds like an awesome 6.5 blaster! I can't say enough about using a adjustable gas block, especially the SLR. For me, it really took the guess work out of potential cycling issues. Also as you stated, you can really fine-tune the proper amount of recoil.

I have been in constant R/D mode with my Grendel since I finished the build over a year ago. It's a great feeling when you have put a lot of blood, sweat and $$$ into building the weapon, and it continually amazes you with performance and challenges your shooting skills. Great cartridge!

Comment

• Rockfish Dave
                  Bloodstained
                  • Feb 2016

Originally posted by TropicalVibe View Post
                  Looks and sounds like an awesome 6.5 blaster! I can't say enough about using a adjustable gas block, especially the SLR. For me, it really took the guess work out of potential cycling issues.

I have been in constant R/D mode with my Grendel since I finished the build over a year ago. It's a great feeling when you have put a lot of blood, sweat and $$$ into building the weapon, and it continually amazes you with performance and challenges your shooting skills. Great cartridge!
                  Thanks for the compliment and I agree with your comments on the SLR adjustable gas block(s). They are the coolest thing since the invention of ice cubes for tasty beverages.

I'm more of a reader than a poster. By learning about slr adjustable gas blocks here I eliminated allot of trial and error. That was the reason behind the title, it is the contributions that you and others have made relating their actual experiences on their build(s) that allowed me, and others, to 'stand on the shoulders' of those that went before us to push things further without having to learn everything first hand. Also as you stated, you can really fine-tune it to operate on the minimal amount of gas and maintain reliability, minimizing felt recoil.

By truing the bolt face and using bedding material specifically designed to fill cylindrical spaces, without bonding together, I am hoping to minimize cold bore shift and still have easy barrel replacement later. All information I had read here and elsewhere.

So far the accuracy of the light weight upper and lower is encouraging, and by going with an 8 oz hand guard I was able to use a medium contour barrel, without throwing the balance off. I would rather have heavier contour barrels, but in this build wanted it to be an overall light weight precision rifle. My thought process was keep weight where it matters and eliminate/minimize it where it does not. Overall I have no regrets on how this turned out.

If I had unlimited funds I would likely opt for the new Vortex AMG scope to save some weight, but for the weight savings vs cost, I just can't justify it.

This is a very nice replacement for my LMT MWS as my primary hunting rifle to 3-400 yards, and fun plinking at longer distances on steel. For the longer shots and anything larger than medium game, I have better tools in the tool box so to speak.
                  Last edited by Rockfish Dave; 04-12-2016, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

What is your weight as it sits pictured?

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Rockfish Dave
                      Bloodstained
                      • Feb 2016

Beats me, haven't broken out the digital scale yet, but will eventually since I am curious as well. The downside is the current mount and scope are heavy relative to comparable options out there.

When I weigh it I'll likely take the scope/mount and stock off so that others can make an educated decision if they would like to duplicate the build. Those items are the heaviest, and likely most variable in weight and in personal preference.

Comment

• Rockfish Dave
                        Bloodstained
                        • Feb 2016

Weighed in at 5.96 lbs without optic, mount or stock. I did add 2 3" rail sections and 2 quick detach cups from magpul.

With the SWFA SS 5-20x50mm optic, AADMOUNT mount and stock it came in at just under 10 lbs. That is the full ready to shoot weight minus sling, mag and ammo.

Very pleased with the final product since it is coming in at the weight of a light weight bolt gun w/out optics, which is what I was going for.
                        Last edited by Rockfish Dave; 04-23-2016, 03:36 PM.

Comment

• Rockfish Dave
                          Bloodstained
                          • Feb 2016

Final set uo:

Comment

• Rockfish Dave
                            Bloodstained
                            • Feb 2016

Without optic, mount or stock:

Ready to shoot:

Comment