X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vasux86
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

Thank you for sharing this process with the forum. I've been on pins and needles to learn what was causing the malfunction.

Comment

• Bravo Vector Tango
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Vasux86 View Post
      Thank you for sharing this process with the forum. I've been on pins and needles to learn what was causing the malfunction.
      Happy to contribute - Getting that extraction malf solved was literally consuming my every thought, haha. but let me tell you once it was cleared up, I was all smiles coming down off the mountain yesterday.

This round really is a joy to shoot, recoil level is pleasant and controllable. innately accurate, even for a "regular guy" with no formal training.
      Last edited by Bravo Vector Tango; 05-24-2016, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• danm
        Warrior
        • Aug 2014

VICTORY!!! 100% Perseverance wins the race 91% of the time!

Comment

• Bravo Vector Tango
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2016

Well, just when I got the extraction problem solved, she started piercing primers.

it first occurred when i took some 123gr SSTs out, I had ejected a live round in the field and found light contact from the freebore, and figured it was a pressure spike that caused the firing pins to blow out (needle point pierced, flame cut the firing pin).

i documented that in this thread here: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...d-primers-here. because i thought it was an ammo problem initially. i in that thread I mentioned also measuring firing pin protrusion with 2 different pins, and getting .040 which is too much.

I contacted Underground Tactical and they asked me to ship the bolt to them for evaluation on my dime, I inquired if they could send me an in-spec bolt out so my gun isn't down for an extended period of time, and they ignored me.

So wanting to explore this more I took some Factory AMAX out today, and had mixed results, including some "near" pierced primers, so i think it is safe to say the protrusion is the culprit here, and not the SSTs as I originally had concluded.

I got some primer strikes like this, deep, vary levels of cratering, but no signs of piercing:

And then there were these, that had the raised mounds at the bottom of the firing pin strike, these almost pierced:

And then I had this oddball, I have no idea what happened here honestly:

Do notice, there are no signs of pressure on the case heads, no ejector smear, no marks from the extractor recess, this is occurring without the presence of over-pressure.

this is obviously a tolerance issue with firing pin protrusion in my mind at this point. Would love to hear thoughts and input on this. I plan to contact Underground Tactical again.

Comment

• danm
            Warrior
            • Aug 2014

Wonder if it's an 'enhanced' 7.62X39 firing pin???

Comment

• Bravo Vector Tango
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2016

Originally posted by danm View Post
              Wonder if it's an 'enhanced' 7.62X39 firing pin???
              Negative. Tried two different milspec 556 pins, protrusion measured a identical .040 with both.

I ordered an AA hard use bolt.

Comment

• danm
                Warrior
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Bravo Vector Tango View Post
                Negative. Tried two different milspec 556 pins, protrusion measured a identical .040 with both.

I ordered an AA hard use bolt.
                Well there goes my input!

Comment

• Christopher67
                  Warrior
                  • May 2015

Well guys, barrel time.

Unwrapping

Business end, sharp rifling.

Fluting in front of gas block journal.

Just curious, is the barrel dimpled at all?

Comment

• Bravo Vector Tango
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Christopher67 View Post
                    Just curious, is the barrel dimpled at all?
                    It is not.

Comment

• Christopher67
                      Warrior
                      • May 2015

It is not.

Thank you.

Comment

• scubagreen
                        Unwashed
                        • May 2016

What's the status on your build? Did you get all the bugs worked out? I'm looking at doing a very similar build to this one with the Alexander Arms 16" Lite barrel. What's the recoil like with the adjustable gas block?

Comment

• Bravo Vector Tango
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by scubagreen View Post
                          What's the status on your build? Did you get all the bugs worked out? I'm looking at doing a very similar build to this one with the Alexander Arms 16" Lite barrel. What's the recoil like with the adjustable gas block?
                          Factory SSTs are still a bit of a mistery, the trail went cold after hornady basically said "huh, IDK, shoot some more and let us know"

other than that, it shoots like a dream, and is as accurate as I am. installing the booster/o-ring immediately solved all extract/eject issues.

it loves 107gr SMK's and 123gr AMAX, over both XBR and H4895. as well as hornady 123AMAX factory loadings.

Next I Want to work up loads for the 110gr TTSX, i think it will be ideal for my hunting applications.
                          Last edited by Bravo Vector Tango; 08-22-2016, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• bob4432
                            Warrior
                            • May 2016

Thanks first for documenting the process so well and second, thanks for sharing your documentation with us. I would be cautious of using your first bolt - if that company cannot sent you out another one so you can test back to back, IMHO says something about the company. Thanks for the heads up about that company and their lack of customer support.

An somewhat off base question - would like to get some powder and you seem to like xbr and h4895. Trying to to keep components to a minimum, if you could choose only one, would you pick the XBR or the H4895 for 6.5G and also 5.56? Last, why do people shooting 6.5G use the CCI#450 vs the CCI#41 primer?

Thanks in advance,
                            Bob

Comment

• Bravo Vector Tango
                              Bloodstained
                              • Mar 2016

Originally posted by bob4432 View Post
                              Thanks first for documenting the process so well and second, thanks for sharing your documentation with us. I would be cautious of using your first bolt - if that company cannot sent you out another one so you can test back to back, IMHO says something about the company. Thanks for the heads up about that company and their lack of customer support.

An somewhat off base question - would like to get some powder and you seem to like xbr and h4895. Trying to to keep components to a minimum, if you could choose only one, would you pick the XBR or the H4895 for 6.5G and also 5.56? Last, why do people shooting 6.5G use the CCI#450 vs the CCI#41 primer?

Thanks in advance,
                              Bob
                              It is a pleasure to share the experience and I appreciate the participation of everyone along the way, I think thats why we're here after all, to talk about building and shooting Grendels.

I do not like to bad mouth companies online, and I thought that maybe I was just getting bent out of shape, I won't be utilizing them any further based on the customer service, or lack thereof, that they rendered.

concerning XBR vs H4895 -- Sportsmans warehouse just opened here, they had both on the shelf, i bought 2 pounds of XBR, from my very humble testing, I feel XBR has a slight edge, and a gold label.

I cannot comment on either in .223/5.56 as i do not reload that cartridge.

CCI 450's is what I've always used, because I've never been able to find #41's locally. #450's have been 100% for me, so at some point i stopped looking for #41's, and have just used what works and is available.

Comment

Working...
                              X