Clear All
  • Bravo Vector Tango
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2016

Well guys, barrel time.

Unwrapping

Business end, sharp rifling.

Fluting in front of gas block journal.
    Last edited by Bravo Vector Tango; 05-10-2016, 04:14 AM.

Comment

• Bravo Vector Tango
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2016

Journal

Fluting before journal

Scuffs on the, what's the proper term, chamber swell, bell? You get it.

Extension and chamber
      Last edited by Bravo Vector Tango; 05-10-2016, 04:21 AM.

Comment

• Bravo Vector Tango
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2016

First impressions of the barrel, really a beautiful piece of work. Full disclosure; all photos were taken without even wiping it down. The scuffing just in front of the gas block is odd, but is also 100% hidden by the barrel nut and rail.

The fit to the receiver extension was extremely tight, very pleased here. I used a film of blue lock tite inside the barrel tennon, and tapped her home gently using a good size hammer and a piece of material to place against the crown that wouldn't damage, and seated her.

Gas block went on without issue as well.

Please don't mind my humble and somewhat disorderly workspace haha.

The handguard and A2FH went on easily as well.

Ready for function test.

She is under 9 lbs scoped, with an empty 10rd mag, won't register on my bathroom scale.

Points and swings very quick, I am very happy with the size, weight, feel.

The geissele G2S is SWEET.

Comment

• jkla2016
          Bloodstained
          • Apr 2016

Looks great. Can't wait to hear how she shoots.

Comment

• danm
            Warrior
            • Aug 2014

That barrel is delicious! When do you have range time scheduled?

Comment

• Bravo Vector Tango
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2016

Originally posted by danm View Post
              That barrel is delicious! When do you have range time scheduled?
              Tomorrow.

Last edited by Bravo Vector Tango; 05-11-2016, 12:11 AM.

Comment

• danm
                Warrior
                • Aug 2014

Nice, looking forward to results... But 24.50 a box for Factory AMAX... OUCH

Comment

• Slappy
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2014

Those G2S triggers are great, especially for the money. You can not beat them, I have put them on 3 of mine and never a problem. Best trigger under 200 and they were on sale for 134 I think but I missed that one. You should be pleased with that one. Those PA scopes (if you can see good) YOUNG EYES) also for the money those are great scopes. Have purchased two of them also and when people have looked through them they went out a got one until they can fork over money for a better one. Your build looks very nice, way to go. BANG BANG!!

Comment

• Bravo Vector Tango
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2016

Originally posted by danm View Post
                    Nice, looking forward to results... But 24.50 a box for Factory AMAX... OUCH
                    Haha yeah... that box of custom I found first, after checking 4 of 5 ammo spots, I feared it may be the only game in town, they are nefariously overpriced.
                    The 2 boxes of match I found for 22$ at spot 5 of 5.

Steep but I decided it was worth it to run her tomorrow. And I'll reuse the brass.

@slappy thank you good sir! Couldn't agree more about the trigger. It is so nice I don't think I could imagine running much less moving forward.
                    Last edited by Bravo Vector Tango; 05-11-2016, 02:44 AM.

Comment

• EPeterson
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2014

Beautiful rifle sir! I'm jealous.

Comment

• tasty_chicken
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jul 2015

Thanks for taking pics of the barrel. It looks awesome. Looking forward to seeing a range report.

Comment

• Bravo Vector Tango
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2016

So, Gents, this is my happy place.

Itt was an interesting experience today with the Grendel maiden voyage.

I acquired 100% function with the hornady 123gr AMAX "custom" at 6 clicks out from 0 on my SLR Sentry. This was done with 4 rounds/adjustments. I proceeded from there to walk poi in toward poa and achieved a very rough zero, sweet, I though.

So I load up each of 2 mags with the 123gr AMAX "MATCH" and prepare to begin the process of further zeroing, and shooting a few groups.

And then the FTExtract, followed by bolt over brass, nose into the rear of the still chambered brass.

I adjusted the gas as far down as a clicks from shut, and as far open as 10 clicks from shut, and continued to experience this same malfunction across the spectrum of gas settings.

I also discovered my scoped has shifted in the mount under recoil.

Fixed that when I got home.

For the 3xtraction and feeding issues, I am thinking I may need to try an H or H2 buffer, and perhaps upgrade to a spring of spring of some kind, to slow down unlocking. Makes sense in my head. Up for input of course.

Suprised to see a difference in function between the two ammo types.

Working out these bugs is part of the fun to me. I love this gun already.
                          Last edited by Bravo Vector Tango; 05-11-2016, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• Bravo Vector Tango
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2016

I am going to order an H buffer and a springco milspec spring tonight.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                              Chieftain
                              • Feb 2013

I see the labels on the boxes, but the #8150 is the same on all of them.

Is there any difference in the ammo or is it just a labeling change?

I know that doesn't solve your problem but it could eliminate the "ammo difference" angle.

Any pics of the malfunction?
                              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Bravo Vector Tango
                                Bloodstained
                                • Mar 2016

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
                                I see the labels on the boxes, but the #8150 is the same on all of them.

Is there any difference in the ammo or is it just a labeling change?

I know that doesn't solve your problem but it could eliminate the "ammo difference" angle.

Any pics of the malfunction?
                                yeah besides being labeled match/custom, i didn't see much difference in the packaging, or ammo, so it may very well be the same rounds and charges. same lot number as you said.

I did not get any pics of the malfs, it was hot and i was in a time crunch, the wife wanted me to hurry home to take her shopping... haha, anyway i just worked the problem as much as i could.

I just ordered a H buffer, and a springco White spring, as well as the larue RISR, as cheek weld left somewhat of a variable in the aiming process, with the crosshair zeroed in the scope, i could still "press down" with my cheek and move my eye out of plane, so i intend to fix that prior to shooting groups.

the mags seem to be presenting the bullets at the right angle, when the malfs did occur, the rounds were jammed into the lower half of the still chambered brass, so they are not going nose-up into the extension or chamber.

I will play with the new spring and buffer when they arrive, and the gas system in conjunction with them, and report back.

in the meantime i am tumbling the brass i shot and will be working up some loads here.

Comment

Working...
                                X