• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fordfanatic
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2016

Which shell holder for Forster Dies

I just got my Forster Dies in so I can start to reload. Got the Ultra Micrometer Seater and the full length die. Which brand shell holder are the folks with Forster Dies using? I am using a Lee Classic single stage if that matters.
  • fordfanatic
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2016

Starting to think I bought the wrong dies, as no one seems to use these

Comment

• PredatorDown
      Warrior
      • Jun 2014

I just got their full length sizing die and will be using the rcbs size 32 shell holder. Initial impressions are really good, much easier to size than using my old Hornady dies. I've only sized virgin and once fired Lapua brass though, so I don't know if the shoulder has been set back enough until I try to fire them again

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
        Chieftain
        • May 2012

i use ribs shell holder for 7.62x39 and redding dies i don't think the shell holder vs die makes too much of a difference normally if things are in spec i have heard of trouble with lee and non lee shell holders but my only lee dies are my 500 s&w and it came with shell holder but i mostly use ribs shell holders just because the seem to be the most readily available locally but haven't ever had a problem using them with redding, ribs, hornady, or dillon dies
        Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• fordfanatic
          Unwashed
          • Mar 2016

Thanks for your replys. I just ordered a Sheridan Slotted Ammo guage to check my loaded ammo. I'll order an RCBS shell holder also.

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

I can't speak for the Forster dies, but I do know that some combinations of shell holder and sizing die can be problematic. In my case, I have the Hornady New Dimension dies, but I am using the RCBS #32 shell holder. This combination potentially allows too much setback, which initially caused a couple of crushed cases. All I needed to do was back out the sizing die and then sneak back up on the correct depth. I've also heard of instances where the individual had the reverse issue, where they could not achieve sufficient setback (a much tougher situation to address).

And, of course, there is the theoretical optimum, where the same vendor makes both dies and shell holder. Ostensibly, these should allow you to set the ram at the top, adjust the die until it contacts, and then tighten an additional (vendor provided turn value) to achieve cam-over and the ideal shoulder setback. Many reloaders will start at this point, but then refine their sizing depth to bump the shoulders the generally accepted .003 - .005" setback.
            Last edited by NugginFutz; 04-25-2016, 01:20 AM.
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

ford fan- I have the Forster dies as you do, BFT also, I use the RCBS shell holder- it fits the best for all needed purposes. Add a thin shim if needed on the rt. side==== 2 thin sheets of paper. No explanation why... It's awesome otherwise !

Comment

• rball
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2014

I have the full length sizer and ultra micrometer set, and use a RCBS 32 shell holder. With regards to the sizer die, I did the typical set up and it has worked fine for me. I have only used Hornady brass, and am currently using 4 different bullets (123 AMAX, 120 GMX, 120 Privi, 107 Sierra MK). Initially, my only problem with the seating die was that I could not get the sizer to start (set) at zero. This included bottoming out the seating die with the ram of the press, back the die off about a 1/4 turn, and thread the setting plug down to the point of showing two-three thread of the seating plug nut. This resulted in the shortest bullet (107 SMK) setting being at approximately -0.235 (micrometer head setting). This is not a functionality problem, but I have another Forester ultra micrometer for .223 Rem, a Redding Competition Micrometer Seating die in all of the following: 9mm, 45ACP, 22-250 Rem, and 243 Win., and all of these dies will set at zero. Again, the Forester not doing this is not a problem for me, but I would like for the die to be as "consistent" as their other die and their competitor's and I don't like running the micrometer so far down (-0.235).

Once I finalized my settings, and after loading 100 rounds I felt the seating die bind. I disassembled the die, and found a "polished" edge on the seating plug. This confirmed me that the plug was "rubbing" inside of the seating area. I contacted Forster and requested a longer seating plug. They informed me they don't make a longer one, and that my problem was due to a compressed load and how the load expanded the plug thus causing the binding. They also informed me that the die did not need to "zero" (micrometer head setting). I informed them that I had not made a compressed load with this caliber. I also told them I had other dies (another Forester and several Reddings) that did zero.

To make a long story short, I mailed my die to them, along with brass, multiple bullets, and copies of the loading manual pages that I used. Oddly enough, they did not request the shellholder, but I did tell them I used a RCBS 32. In the end, they sent me an identical length seating plug, but with a hardened end. I set up the die, and the settings were similar. Below zero for all bullet combos, with the 107 SMK at -0.235 (micrometer head setting). The binding issue had been taken care of, but not the zeroing problem. After loading 100 rounds using a variety of bullet combinations (non-GMX), I did load several (50) 120 GMX rounds with a compressed load. No binding problems came about. I haven't had any issues with the die and RCBS 32 shellholder, other than the non-zeroing on the setting.

I will say the customer service from Forester was top notch as they did seem genuinely concerned with my case. But, my issue with the non-zeroing is something that I will take into account when buying dies for other calibers that I own. Nonetheless, I do feel that a longer, hardened seating plug (maybe from a 6.5 x 55 Swede or 260 Rem) will solve my "zeroing" concerns (I asked for one, and they told me all of the plugs were the same for the 6.5mm calibers). I know this may have digressed from the shell holder question, but I don't see how any other shell holder mfg could solve the problem (non-zero) that I have.
                Last edited by rball; 04-27-2016, 03:35 AM.

Comment

• fordfanatic
                  Unwashed
                  • Mar 2016

Thanks for everyone experience with this combo. I realize that what works for one MAY not work for another. This is why have the forum to help each other out and share what works. I have the RCBS #32 shell holder now, along with a slotted gauge from Sheridan, so we will se how it goes!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

I have the Forster micrometer seating die for .260 Remington, and wish I had bought it for Grendel instead, since I load way more Grendel than .260 Rem.

Finding H4350 for .260 Rem is like winning the lottery, and all the competitive shooters in PRS are snatching it up as soon as one of their informants lets them know some showed up on a truck.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• fordfanatic
                      Unwashed
                      • Mar 2016

LRRPF52, I have it for the 300 BO. I really like it as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X