• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pontoon
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2016

Solution for dented case necks?

I just finished my 6.5 Grendel build. It has a 20 inch barrel and an adjustable gas block. The bolt carrier is a low mass type. I took a standard buffer and removed the weights and replaced them with wood. Yes, I know that's weird. Even though it's weird, other people have this issue with normal weight buffers too.

When I went to fire the gun, I turned the gas way down. Then I turned it up and up until the rifle would cycle properly. Once it was cycling properly, it was denting the brass. If I turn it one click less, the brass doesn't fully eject. I was thinking maybe adding one or two of the weights back to the buffer might allow me to have more fine grained control over the cycling of the rifle, so I might find a sweet spot where it still cycles properly, but it also doesn't dent the brass. I don't have my hopes up though since this does happen to people who have normal weight buffers as well. Some people put felt or padding on the brass deflector (the deflector is what causes the dent)... I'd rather solve it another way if I can. Also some people say to just live with it, because the brass will be reshaped when reloading. But I wonder: will this reduce the amount of times the brass can be reloaded?

Anyone got any ideas?
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Cut the ejector spring shorter, by the amount it protrudes from the bolt-face when slack (a couple of coils).

Padding on the deflector eases the symptoms but does not fix the problem. You won't need padding if you shorten the spring. Cases might occasionally collide with the deflector but none will be dented.

Comment

• pontoon
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2016

Thanks!

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

You are willing to expose your rifle to termites but don't want to put some Velcro on the deflector. Hmmm.
        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

As Klem said, the velcro treatment only addresses the symptom, but not the root cause. The ejector spring mod did the trick for both of my Grendels, neither of which use modified buffers, wooden or otherwise.
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• pontoon
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2016

There's no way termites can get inside the buffer... Just the weights are wood, not the whole buffer.

Also, how do I stop the case from being gouged? I noticed one or two lines where the casing is gouged. Does this little gouge line pose a problem for reloading?

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Cases can be gouged at the shoulders by the feed ramps, and if this is your case, you may wish to polish them.

See this older thread...

If you're talking about gouging under the case head lips, then extractor problems are possibly the case (either early extraction or sharp corners on your extractor). This is a completely different set of problems, of course.

Without pictures, it's difficult to pin down your issue.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• pontoon
                Unwashed
                • Jan 2016

NugginFutz, it's much like this:

Comment

• Beerswimmer
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2015

Start small. One baby step at a time.

Replace the extractor completely...extractor, springs, and o-rings. No change, then replace your weights. No change, then replace your recoil spring. Only then move forward and cut parts*.

* Terrible practice

But that's just how I do things.....
                  UT ALII VIVANT !!!

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

The parallel score marks on the neck are from the feed grooves in the barrel extension. Filing the feed grooves smooth fixes that.

The small dings in the body are from bouncing against the upper on ejection. Shortening the ejector spring will fix that.

The advice given to replace parts before cutting them is, with respect, dogma. The expertise on this forum transcends dogma.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by pontoon View Post
                      There's no way termites can get inside the buffer... Just the weights are wood, not the whole buffer.
                      Dude, I hope you didn't think I was serious about the termites

One thing I do know is wood swells with moisture. I would use a different substance.
                      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

What I call the "vampire effect" on the case necks comes from when the spent case is extracted from the chamber, and the ejector forces the case out of line with the bore once it clears the chamber, hitting the lead edges of the barrel extension teeth in the ejection clock position.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jawbone
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2012

i tightly wrapped some super-fine sandpaper around a chopstick, then carefully, gradually slighly rounded the tips off those two sharp teeth. no marks or no probs since. take it slow and easy in there, though, because sandpaper.

Comment

• diddlyv
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2016

I too am getting dented mouth of the case from my grendel. I hve an adjustable gas block set to the first click that allows the bolt to lock to the rear using 1 round in a mag. Wondering if using a rifle buffer vs standard carbine would cure the problem. It will be easy enough to test as I have 3 lowers with rifle buffers in them.

The gurus' thoughts on this???
                            Queen of Battle
                            Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Dented case mouths can be eliminated or mitigated by performing one or more of the following:
                              1. Shortening the ejector spring, via one of the several threads found in the forum.
                              2. Adding Velcro (soft side) to the case deflector. (Treats the symptom, but not a cure).

first off I hope im not out of bounds by asking this here but.... I have been reloading for bolt guns for about 2 years now and because my Grendel is taking forever to get here (been ordered since Dec.) I started loading 223 just to get some experience loading for a gas gun. My question is when I shoot my reloads about 70%-80%

Comment

Working...
                              X