• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pontoon
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2016

9/16x24 Lightest Brake?

I'm looking for the lightest possible brake in 9/16x24 for 6.5 diameter bullets. My barrel has an outer width of .74" I believe. Titanium would be ideal, but stainless is OK. I thought the Grendel kick wasn't too bad, but I have a decent bruise after only 25 shots the other day. So I'm hoping this will mitigate the problem. It probably wouldn't be bad for most people, but I was injured in part of my shoulder, so I think it might be related. Also my stock has no padding on the butt of the rifle.
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

The Precision Firearms LMD is comes in at 2.9 ounces (I weighed it). I haven't installed it yet, but it placed third in a pretty comprehensive muzzle brake test.
    The most popular and widely respected voice in America for your gun rights, breaking 2nd Amendment news, and everything else you need to know as a gun owner...

Precision Firearms LMD Brake LMD- Level Muzzle Device for Normal Standard .740 Diameter Barrels. Typical AR Barrel. Tapered Muzzle end is .725". Large Diameter is .990". Length is 2 inches. This is our own in house machined Billet brake. Made from 416 Stainless. 11 Degree Target Crown. Top ports are off center to help with countering barrel torque. Includes Shim kit. Available in: For 223 Caliber - 1/2x28 For 224 Valkyrie Caliber - 5/8x24 For 6.5 Caliber - 5/8x24 For 6.5 Caliber -9/16x24 For 308 Caliber - 5/8x24 Cerakoted Stainless + $15 Phalanx (Black Nitride) +$10 Bead Blasted +$5
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• 762n40
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2015

Here is a search for some ideas for a muzzle device. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...zle&_sacat=888

Here is an idea to solve your sore shoulder. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/933...k-rubber-black

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Pontoon,

I have never felt any recoil I would consider unpleasant from either of my Grendels. One does have a brake, but the lighter, smaller one does not. I've put up to 100 rounds at a sitting through it and have felt absolutely no discomfort. Additionally, I've repeated this same scenario with a bolt action .308 with similar results and lack of discomfort, even though it does recoil significantly more.

To my point ... Are you certain your shooting posture and presentation are not the problem? Even the "lowly" 5.56 can eventually cause minor bruising if the butt is not held firmly into the shoulder. If you want to go with a brake, then by all means, do so. I am questioning, however, whether or not you may would be masking an underlying problem with your technique. If you are allowing the rifle to travel any distance to your shoulder, then consistent shot placement will be difficult to achieve, brake or no brake.

Or, it could be nothing. My bride has a folic acid deficiency (iron poor blood, as the old commercial used to say), and she bruises quite easily. A pad would be a consideration, under such conditions.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• pontoon
          Unwashed
          • Jan 2016

NugginFutz, the ergonomics of the gun aren't as good as my hunting rifle, and I can't get the butt to sit as low as I like with my 270 win (which kicks hard as hell because it's 5.5 lbs). The grendel build only weighs 5 pounds and has no rubber or foam padding. I also only weigh 130 lbs with low body fat, so there isn't as much cushion as I'd like. But mainly the gun is sitting in the wrong spot. I'm not putting it on the clavicle, instead right in the crook of my arm. The top of the butt hits hard on a spot of the shoulder where there is especially little padding before bone is felt (below the clavicle). To make matters worse, I tore something in that shoulder a few years ago and it didn't heal right, so the bruising could be partially due to that. I'm thinking maybe if I get a scope mount that extends even further, I might be able to get into a better shooting position.

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Sorry to hear about the injury, Pontoon. As I've been telling a co-worker with similar issues - "Get thee to ye olde physician. It shall not heal of its own accord!"

As a hunting/target rifle, I understand you're looking to keep weight down. There are a couple of places you may not want to go too light, though. Buffer is one of them. A buffer that is too light will allow the BCG to cycle too fast. This, in turn, will result in both real and perceived recoil. I'd consider going back to a standard buffer to tame the cyclic rate. I would also consider going with a different butt stock with and integrated rubber butt pad. I know you originally were considering the A2 & plastic pad. If this is still the case, and you don't wish to change it out, I'd consider adding a slip-on rubber pad like 762n40 suggested to improve your comfort.

Good luck.

P.S. If I weighed as little as you, I'd carry all the spare ammo I could in my pockets, while hunting, just in case the wind came up.
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Beerswimmer
              Warrior
              • Dec 2015

I was in your boat, only for a flash hider. I also understand shoulder issues, I'm recovering from an almost 360 degree labrum tear with 6 anchors. It's why lightweight parts are so important to me now.

Get an adapter from here: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod54364.aspx, it's super light.
              Then get a brake from here: http://2a-arms.com/collections/muzzl...-compensator-1 Or here: http://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/c...muzzle-devices

I got my flash hider from here if you are interested: http://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/c...sator-7-62-6-8
              Last edited by Beerswimmer; 04-25-2016, 02:45 AM.
              UT ALII VIVANT !!!

Comment

• leopard6.5
                Bloodstained
                • Feb 2016

pontoon, WCI the company that makes one of the brakes on AA's website, used to make that same brake in titanium. People on here before the website crash used to rave about how well those brakes work. You might want to contact them( or contact AA on how to reach WCI) and see if they still make the Ti version.

Good luck.

Lee

Comment

• Bill Alexander
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jul 2015

Brakes/flash hiders are easy. Pick what you want in 1/2-28. The 9/16-24 thread is set so that cleaning out the 1/2-28 provides the perfect bore size to cut the new thread. Then check the exit hole diameter, adjust as required and you are done.

Light weight barrels allow enough shoulder so the crush washer sits square and does not cant the muzzle device and you do not end up with what looks like a 50 BMG muzzle attachment on a lightweight grendel.

Comment

• Slappy
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2014

Do not want to hijack a thread and did not want to start another one. A little help PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The other day I was looking around and came across a line that stated (something like this) "XYZ crush washers are the best because they are thin and crush easy" Of course I did not write it down because I thought I could remember the name, now I can not remember the name and can not find where it was no matter what I type in. Can someone point it out if they come across it again. Thanks in advance BANG BANG!!

Comment

• biodsl
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Slappy View Post
                      Do not want to hijack a thread and did not want to start another one. A little help PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The other day I was looking around and came across a line that stated (something like this) "XYZ crush washers are the best because they are thin and crush easy" Of course I did not write it down because I thought I could remember the name, now I can not remember the name and can not find where it was no matter what I type in. Can someone point it out if they come across it again. Thanks in advance BANG BANG!!
                      BFT made mention that Yankee Hill Machine is the sizzle. Post two of the Faxxon Barrel thread
                      Gentlemen, Barbarians, and Vile Members of the Unwashed Horde: Many of you will remember we used to sell barrels here as a forum fundraiser. That time has come again. ======================= SPECIFICATION UPDATE MUST READ It is covered later in this thread, but please note that the rifling specification has changed. The 3R
                      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Slappy
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2014

Thank you

Comment

• leopard6.5
                          Bloodstained
                          • Feb 2016

Hi Slappy, you might look at Bill A.'s recent posts because I seem to remember him saying something like that in one of his recent posts.

You might even call him or email him if you can't find it just to get his opinion. He's always been very reachable for me.

Hopefully this helps and good luck.

Lee

Comment

• bob4432
                            Warrior
                            • May 2016

Not trying to hijack, but what is the ~ recoil of the 6.5G compared to LC 5.56 55gr "NATO" (I know the 55gr is not NATO but just using it as an example). Assume a 16" mid-length, piston based firearm @7# loaded w/ A2 FH.

For the 6.5G, please assume 16", rifle length, 7# loaded shooting off-the-shelf Hornady ~120gr Match Ammo.

Another injured shooter

Thanks,
                            Bob
                            Last edited by bob4432; 05-19-2016, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• Klem
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Somewhere between a 5.56 and 7.62mm. Like a 5.56 on steroids. Shooter-friendly without a brake and because of that the benefits of a brake are more about enjoying your shooting and maybe even what the gun looks like, than necessary.

Comment

Working...
                              X