• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • okieflyguy83
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2016

8028 XBR not working!!!!!

Hello,

I am new to the forum but have read a lot of the posts on here and noticed that 8208 was the powder if choice. So I got a pound and loaded up some test loads all the way up to the max in the Hogdons book. Well not one load wanted to group there was nothing under an inch and velocities were much lower than others have posted. Also my brass came out very very sooty.

Load was from the Mid point in the book up to the max in .2 grain increments. Hornady brass, 123 Amax, and remington 7.5 primers. Barrel is 20".

Thanks in Advance,
    Sean
  • koden
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2014

How does factory amax or sst ammo shoot out of you rifle?

Comment

• okieflyguy83
      Unwashed
      • Apr 2016

Both sub moa with the edge going to the Amax. I get .75 down to .60 with the Ajax. I loaded the Amax with some benchmark and got .64 down to .40 with velocities in the 2470fps area.

Comment

• Cornbread
        Warrior
        • Dec 2015

if your getting .4 groups with benchmark be happy. 8208 might pick you up a few fps but not much.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

What barrel and chamber?

Who made it, chambered it, and how is it mounted into your upper?
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 6.5 mm Shoot
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2016

I had the same experience with 8208. I was using H335 and was told to try 8208 that I would get better FPS out of it. I picked up 2 pounds of it and went to work. I got better FPS with H335 and my primers were not as flattened as they were with the 8208. Maybe I can use the 8208 in the 5.56 or the 6mmX45.
            May each day bring you at least one pleasure.

Comment

• 1911man
              Warrior
              • May 2015

Originally posted by okieflyguy83 View Post
              Both sub moa with the edge going to the Amax. I get .75 down to .60 with the Ajax. I loaded the Amax with some benchmark and got .64 down to .40 with velocities in the 2470fps area.
              This is the point of handloading for your rifle. Every chamber and barrel is different and will work better with one powder/bullet combo than others. Sounds like you found a combo that works well with benchmark but your gun does not like XBR. I had the same problem with CFE 223 in my gun. I was getting good velocities but accuracy was not as good as other powders. You could also try AR Comp which is my favorite powder, H335, CFE, Lever, etc.

Comment

• Greyfox
                Bloodstained
                • May 2011

How deep are you seating the bullets. Start at 2.250" with the 123 A max. Seating bullets too far out lowers velocity. Check your hammer spring to see it is weak. Maybe you have poor ignition and you will never get good groups with a weak hammer spring. Check the fireing pin dent in the primer from factory and your handloads. the indent should look the same.
                Greyfox
                Last edited by Greyfox; 04-27-2016, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• davidj
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

8028 XBR .......

It works for me.
                  Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword. You can't feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight. -The Havamal

Comment

• okieflyguy83
                    Unwashed
                    • Apr 2016

Well so I have an update. I got XBR to work with 100 Amax. I also found a smoking load with AR-comp and 120 SMK.
                    My barrel is an Eisenach Arms 20 inch with a grendel 2 chamber. I would like to thank everyone for the responses on here you guys are awesome.

Comment

• leopard6.5
                      Bloodstained
                      • Feb 2016

okie: What's a Grendel 2 chamber? As far as I know, there is the SAAMI spec. chamber or everything else.

Glad you found some loads to work for you. It's pretty frustrating otherwise.

Lee

Comment

Working...
                      X