• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Berger Hogs 7, 8, and 9

Video... https://youtu.be/06vi9skcWrU

I shot three hogs three hogs, eventually recovered two. The missing hog was hit on the run and I believe I hit it twice. It made it into the bottoms and there was no blood trail and so the pursuit was short.

I was hunting a large oats field and had forgotten how many difficulties it offers along with its bounty of hogs. The oats are tall (hides hogs), noisy, and just get in the way. The field itself is undulating and between the terrain and the oats, hogs appear and disappear quite often. They can be very hard to find after being shot if you don't know exactly where they were when you shot them.

I probably should have found the first hog I shot last night. It was still daylight, but honestly, I thought it was one of the runners and I never looked for it where I shot it. It was only after reviewing the video that I realized it had probably DDRT.

With that said, check out the penetration of the bullet on that hog. The shot entered the top of the head and a fragment or fragments exited 2/3 of the way back on the body!

The last hog was shot below the chin and the bullet did not exit.

I was unable to butcher either hog due to threat of bad weather.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • am4966
    Chieftain
    • Jul 2014

00Spy living the dream, of Hog eradication and always a fresh supply of fresh pork in the Fridge/Freezer! How do you like the Sig spotting scope your trying out? What power range was it? I know they're not made with a really high end setting. Thinking about getting a Sig Tango 6 not sure yet.
    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

I had previously purchased a Sig Sauer Kilo 2000 rangefinder. I really like it, not that I have a lot of use for daylight rangefinders and optics, LOL. I tend to use both for preliminary scouting of new places and that is about it as I hunt mostly in the dark. The Oscar 3 is 10x, but zooms to 20x. I didn't get much change to play with it the other night because the hogs were literally there as I was trying to take some photos of me using the scope. I set the delay timer on the camera so that I could take an "action shot" of me scanning and I spied the hogs which was pretty cool. So the 'action shot' really was genuine. The image stabilization works very well. I shake some when trying to hold steady and this really steadies up the image. I don't feel the need to rest the optic on something stationary to see at longer distances.
      Kill a hog. Save the planet.
      My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• am4966
        Chieftain
        • Jul 2014

OK cool, I'll ask you in a few weeks to see how you like the glass and pros cons after you get more time with it. If you don't mind
        12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
        Surge - Rugged Suppressor
        Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

I'm wondering if you can hear the bolt carrier group return to battery in the slow motion video at the end.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• customcutter
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Another great video! Angry Bird feeling his oats, LOL!

I'm barbecuing several of the hogs I killed last month this Sat. We are having a "Pig Fest" with our sister Church, so expecting about 75 people. They were all sows and guilts, except for small boar, so should be some good eating. I'll be firing the grill up about 5 in the morning. It's my first time so wish me luck!

Comment

• jawbone
              Warrior
              • Jan 2012

well done on a tough stalk through noisy oats, followed with some excellent shooting. thanks again, 00Spy.

Comment

Working...
              X