• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • waveslayer
    Warrior
    • Jan 2013

Recommended loads for a black bear hunt

Hey guys, I'm going to do a black bear hunt in New Mexico with my Grendel. What recommended load do you recommend to hunt for black bear. I have some loaded up with 123 grain SST you think that's enough?
  • toolsofthetrade
    Warrior
    • May 2011

I would think that or Barnes

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Cant speak for the 6.5G on black bear, but ive taken two (200lbs boar and 160lbs sow) with a .243 win using a 95gr SST. I can only assume at respectable ranges that the 123 SST would penetrate better and expand very well. Again assumptions, maybe someone with some experience using 6.5G on black bear can chime in.

Comment

• am4966
        Chieftain
        • Jul 2014

No experience, but if it was me id have no problem going on the hunt with anyone or these in my Grendel. 129gr ABLR, 125gr Partition, 120gr TAC-TX or TTSX, Sneaky Specials or 130gr Scirocco any order and other bullets too. Just don't want to be long, I'm not a huge fan of SSTs since I feel they have a tendency to fall apart.

Keep a eye out on 00Spy videos of shooting hogs, since depending on when the hunt is. You'll see bullet experimenting on the hogs for a idea of how they'll act on game.
        12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
        Surge - Rugged Suppressor
        Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by waveslayer View Post
          Hey guys, I'm going to do a black bear hunt in New Mexico with my Grendel. What recommended load do you recommend to hunt for black bear. I have some loaded up with 123 grain SST you think that's enough?
          Black bear rarely weigh more than 300 lb.

There is a relationship between bullet weight and likelihood of an animal dropping before it runs very far: Ideal Bullet Weight.

This reference tells us that the 123 gr SST should be just fine, as is a 90 gr bonded bullet, an 80 grain partition, and a 75 grain lead free hunting bullet. Heavier is better, so the 95 gr GS Custom, 100 gr Nosler Partition and 100 gr TTSX should all do OK too.

If you are really worried about the animal getting close and personal, one can go with the 140 gr Lapua Naturalis and get all the penetration you might want along with expansion!

See more in Volume 2 of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook.
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• waveslayer
            Warrior
            • Jan 2013

I was about to pull out my little Volume 2 manual. I haven't used my Grendel since I built a 6.5 SAUM and a new Lazzeroni Warbird build.

Thanks guys for the info, I think we will tree most of the bears, not sure how these guys hunt them. I will be with the old man hunting Elk, if I need to reach out there I will use his Warbird I built him.

So I think I will stay with my 123 SST bullets since I have a half MOA load developed for it with CFE powder.
            But I am open. Thanks guys

Comment

• BoxofRox
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2015

I can confirm that 123gr SST works very well on black bears. Just got one this morning.

130yd shot, dropped like a rock. Laid there for 30 seconds and started kicking it's back legs and pushed about 10 yards before it took another bullet and died right there. Very impressed with that.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by BoxofRox View Post
                I can confirm that 123gr SST works very well on black bears. Just got one this morning.

130yd shot, dropped like a rock. Laid there for 30 seconds and started kicking it's back legs and pushed about 10 yards before it took another bullet and died right there. Very impressed with that.
                Thanks for the update. Your field results would be very welcome in the Game Survey Thread in the Hunting Sub Forum.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• waveslayer
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by BoxofRox View Post

Where we're you hunting and have any pics for us?

Comment

• BoxofRox
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2015

My camera is all buggered up so I'm waiting to get some from my cousin, I'm in NE Oregon.

Comment

Working...
                    X