• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
    One may always play devils advocate for equipment selection by selecting criteria that supports the argument. So recommending a caliber based upon the criteria of LGS available bonded projectiles is like selecting a caliber because it has Lapua brass available. The end begets the means and the criteria is skewed.
    The issue is not "LGS available bonded projectiles" -- it is LGS available ammunition.

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by stanc View Post
      The issue is not "LGS available bonded projectiles" -- it is LGS available ammunition.
      Limiting this thread to your purchasing dogma is unrealistic Stan. You've put an extra covenant into the argument by considering only what's available to over-the-counter, locally. The rest of us use sourcing techniques which cast a wider net.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

The Grendel never needed purpose-built projectiles for it. It was purpose-built around existing projectiles as a forethought, hence the case length that allows enough ogive and still fits within AR15 magazines.

The 6.8 had to have several different projectiles made for it because it has nowhere near the allowable ogive length that the .270 Winchester does. This was a waste in the end, because the projectiles have terrible SD, and do nothing for any other factory cartridges really.

The missed opportunity with the 6.8 was not going with .257" projectiles. The .257" bore has been largely neglected by the barrel and projectile industries, and would have been nice to have livened up some. As a result, a lot of different cartridges would have benefited, like .257 Roberts, 250-3000 Savage, .25-06, and .257 Weatherby. Most of your .257" bullets are flat-based or low BC, but they have good SD once you get into the 117-120gr range.

Since the diameter is smaller, you can still use the 1.686" case length and have plenty of room for long ogive projectiles. The choice of the .277" bullet diameter was amateur hour at its best, justified with expanding projectiles passed off as OTMs.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Cornbread
          Warrior
          • Dec 2015

Ok lets include internet options. Ammoseek search 150 for grendel 500 for spc. Only hunting bullet 123 sst unless you want to buy an otm. 6.8 90gr xmd, 90 gr fusion, 120 sst, 100 gr gmx, 115 gr fusion,100gr tsx.

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Is this a thread about which calibre has more availability of ammo, or which is the better calibre?

Comment

• ricsmall
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Guys

I deleted my posts as they were somewhat inflammatory. That's not normally me. Apologies to Stan and all.

Richard
              Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Cornbread View Post
                Ok lets include internet options. Ammoseek search 150 for grendel 500 for spc. Only hunting bullet 123 sst unless you want to buy an otm. 6.8 90gr xmd, 90 gr fusion, 120 sst, 100 gr gmx, 115 gr fusion,100gr tsx.
                You have to keep in mind that a lot of people were lied to and really thought 6.8 would be the next military service rifle cartridge.

After they perpetrated fraud with the FBI ballistics lab and were laughed out of the place, they went to England and told MOD that they better start tooling up for 6.8 to get ahead of the curve, because it was a definite go. That is one reason why it gained so much popularity so quickly, never mind that it reduced hit probability compared to 5.56, reduced magazine capacity, and increased the soldier's load. If anyone really believed that would fly, they were smoking crack.

The marketing campaign to push it was the textbook definition of inflated hype to push a product, and many companies truly believed what they were being told. At that time, 9/11 was just a few years old, and money was flowing like a tidal wave into the defense contract industry. People who didn't have any business being involved in anything military-related made out like bandits, so it was a lot more palatable to invest in a new caliber, especially if you were being told by guys who sounded credible that this was the next big thing, and was going to be huge.

If we use the logic of what's on ammoseek, then 300 AAC is a better cartridge to pick, when we all know that it simply doesn't have a lot of gas. There are hundreds of hits for 300 AAC, much more than 6.8 SPC. The simple answer for the layman is, there is plenty of available ammunition, from various manufacturers, in various forms.

The 6.5 Grendel can do everything the 6.8 can, whereas the 6.8 can't do a lot of what the Grendel does. One load from 6.5 Grendel can do what scores of 6.8 loads wouldn't attempt to try, so if you see one or two loads on the shelf for 6.5 Grendel, that just makes keeping a zero easier and saving money.
                Last edited by LRRPF52; 05-15-2016, 03:56 AM.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ah1whiskey
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2015

i have a 6.8 spc 2 barrel --been playing with it for some time now. every so often i see some remington 6.8 for "cheap" prices. to me it was OK-- better than 5.56 -- but for me--it seemed to have a lot of mag problems . the experts say you have to run a dedicated lower now and special $48 a pop mags to get 6.8 reliable.

the 6.5G so far is running like a champ with generic 7.62x39 mags -- and does fine with the ASC 6.5s if you don't load um past the bulge. i suspect that the E-landers have solved the high cap riddle with the 6.5

now the 6.8 barrel is in a box--somewhere--lol

Comment

• MrGrendel
                    Unwashed
                    • May 2016

I have a RRA 6.8 and I first kinda liked it. Was to get sub MOA but they changed it from 3/4 MOA to 1.5 MOA. Now I have found a load I worked up that does really good. On my 6.5 I like it shoots really good have put about 100 rds through it from Amax to PPU. I was surprised PPU did really good at 100 yards. Is less than 1 MOA on a 20 in barrel. Was wanting something I can try to play with trying my luck at 600 yds. Pic is grouping of 6.8. Odd ball shot was the jerk on the trigger.

Ok first post and will try to get it in later. Each one has its own blessing personally one can't go wrong owning each and several more.

To all; have a blast at the range, be safe, be careful, God bless America; America bless God
                    Mr

Comment

Working...
                    X