• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gunsandcoffee
    Unwashed
    • May 2016

6.5 grendel or 6.8 spc?

I've been wanting a new build. Can't make up my mind.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

6.8 SPC clearly. I heard the Suadi's are using them for their Royal Guards Force, so that's enough for me...

They're one of the most disciplined military fighting organizations that only sources the best and the brightest warriors on the planet.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

They perform some pretty trick acrobatics with rifles too, so that should really seal the deal for anyone on the fence.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

6.8 SPCII. Hands down. With extensive modifications and hand loads of highly compressed powder, you can eek out enough mv to match or slightly exceed a box stock Grendel shooting factory ammo.

Seriously, through. Your first post and this is the subject?
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

What are you trying to accomplish with your build, if this is a serious first post?

There isn't a single application that the 6.8 SPC will do better than the 6.5 Grendel, whether we're looking at:

Hunting
          Target
          Military

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Gunsandcoffee
            Unwashed
            • May 2016

Yes this is my first post lol. Mainly I want it for target, and hunting. Most of the hunting will be kept to maybe 200yds MAX, and that's for hog and whitetail. Target on the other hand up to 600yds. I've been trying to make up my mind for a good while now. I do reload, so that's a benefit. I just wanted to get others opinion on the subject. What size barrel and twist rate should I be using on the 6.5 grendel. I've been seeing 1-8, 1-9, and 8.5 .

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
              Warrior
              • Apr 2013

From Increasing Small Arms Lethality in Afghanistan: Taking Back the Infantry Half Kilometer, By Army Major Thomas Ehrhart:

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

If you can't figure it out then you might want to focus on the coffee
                Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Gunsandcoffee
                  Unwashed
                  • May 2016

Yep I think I'm sticking with the 6.5... what size barrel and twist do ya have. I was thinking between an 18" or 20".

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

I have 16", 18", and 22", and have shot a bit of 20" up to 28".

I like the 16-20" lengths myself, with 18" being an easy first choice. I started with a 16" AA barrel/bolt combo that I have built up several different ways.

What really opened my eyes was how well the 16" shot out to 1200yds one day on a challenge, with factory 123gr AMAX. I plugged in the distance, program said 14.4 mils, I dialed up, let fly, and was right off the left bottom edge. Next 4 rounds sailed home as fast as I could index the reticle and break the shots.

600yds is child's play with 6.5 Grendel, even from 10.5" barrels.

For a hunter, I would go anywhere from 10.5" to 20", depending on your height/build, with 16" and 18" being pretty common. Once you go 20" if you're under 6', it becomes more of a target gun, unless you really keep the barrel profile light.

Here's a year-end summary for 2015 from forum member doublenaughtspy

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Gunsandcoffee View Post
                      Yep I think I'm sticking with the 6.5... what size barrel and twist do ya have. I was thinking between an 18" or 20".
                      Here's a good Thread on rifling twist http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...l=1#post132169

Comment

• Slappy
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2014

So if you are going to hunt and carry this around then get on in with the group buy and you will be good to go. GO GRENDEL GO!!!! BANG BANG!!

Comment

• rabiddawg
                          Chieftain
                          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Gunsandcoffee View Post
                          Smart move I was in the same boat but after researching it I knew the Grendel was superior.

I have one 16" and three 20's. 1/8 twist on the 20's not sure about the 16 but I bet it is 1/7.5 Would like to get to 2 & 2 but the one 20 that I would part with shoots so darn good I hate to put a shorter barrel on it.
                          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Vasux86
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2015

The only advantage I could think of with the 6.8 would be the availability of ammo. However, with the Grendel growing in popularity and the fact that you reload, this washes out.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Vasux86 View Post
                              The only advantage I could think of with the 6.8 would be the availability of ammo. However, with the Grendel growing in popularity and the fact that you reload, this washes out.
                              So many choices to pick from, when none of them can do what a 123gr 6.5mm can.

Just one load from 6.5 Grendel can handle both hunting and long range target, and there are at least 37 factory 6.5 Grendel loads to choose from.

6.5 Grendel also has steel case, so you can literally buy 500 rounds of ammo for under $150 and go blast like you would with .223 and 7.62x39.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X