• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahillock
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by stanc View Post
    If I were still able to shoot regularly, I would care. I prefer to walk in and pay cash.
    Sure, it might be a preference to have a local supply of the stuff. But that is more of a preference. It is like saying a Chevy Cruze is a more sporty car than a Ferrari F430 because you don't have a local Ferrari dealer close to where you live but you have a Chevy dealer down the street.

The performance of the 6.5 Grendel over the 6.8 SPC speaks for itself. There is nothing that the 6.8 does better than the 6.5 performance wise imo.

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ahillock View Post
      Sure, it might be a preference to have a local supply of the stuff. But that is more of a preference. It is like saying a Chevy Cruze is a more sporty car than a Ferrari F430 because you don't have a local Ferrari dealer close to where you live but you have a Chevy dealer down the street.

The performance of the 6.5 Grendel over the 6.8 SPC speaks for itself. There is nothing that the 6.8 does better than the 6.5 performance wise imo.
      None of that is relevant. I was answering your question of who cares if the ammo is available locally.

It would matter to me, because I have never purchased ammo any way other than over the counter.

Comment

• Cornbread
        Warrior
        • Dec 2015

I have hunted deer for over 30 years and killed a bunch as in the hundreds. As a result of that I have a prettygood idea what makes a good hunting bullet. I would guess I have killed with just about every popular bullet from the major bullet makers. I prefer a bullet that mushrooms and does damage but retains enough weight to make two holes. The sst fragments and seperates from it's core. It does a lot of damage,too much for a meat hunter but will not routinely exit. I have killed deer with it in several calibers. I prefer a bonded bullet like the Accubond. Sadly it is the only choice in FACTORY readily avaiable ammo. Even as a reloader I wish there were more 6.5 grendel specific bullets. Nosler makes the 100,110 Acubond in 6.8. I have been trying to find a load for the 125 partition that is moa or less so far no luck. I did do a ladder with leverevolution that may work out, we'll see. The point being there are more choices in 6.8 because it is more popular and has more industry support. Ballistics be damned but the truth hurts.

Comment

• ahillock
          Warrior
          • Jan 2016

None of that is relevant. I was answering your question of who cares if the ammo is available locally.

It would matter to me, because I have never purchased ammo any way other than over the counter.

Again it doesn't matter as it is available online and has no influence on the performance of the two rounds.

Were all the parts for your 6.5 Grendel build(s) available locally? I doubt it.

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Just as an FYI, Stan does not own a Grendel, and likely does not actively shoot at the present.

He is a former writer for multiple firearms related publications, and speaks with no malice. If I may offer this insight, Stan often acts as the board's conscience, and plays Devil's Advocate on various subjects. At the same time, I've noted that he is not above the occasional nose tweak. We love ya, Stan!
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• JASmith
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Cornbread View Post
              ... I prefer a bullet that mushrooms and does damage but retains enough weight to make two holes. The sst fragments and seperates from it's core...
              You just showed that you haven't or rarely use the Grendel for hunting.

Further, you don't appear to have read several threads describing how the 123 gr SST performs when used with the Grendel.

For example, check post #142 of this thread: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...wn-quot-survey.
              Last edited by JASmith; 05-13-2016, 03:12 AM.
              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

Again it doesn't matter as it is available online...
                You're not paying attention. Your question was, "Who cares if it's not available locally?"

I care. Or, to be more precise, I would care if I were still actively shooting, because when I was shooting, I never bought ammo online, and if I'm ever able to get back into the game, I probably still would not buy ammo online.

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                  Just as an FYI, Stan does not own a Grendel, and likely does not actively shoot at the present.

He is a former writer for multiple firearms related publications, and speaks with no malice. If I may offer this insight, Stan often acts as the board's conscience, and plays Devil's Advocate on various subjects. At the same time, I've noted that he is not above the occasional nose tweak.
                  I plead guilty to the occasional tweak, but that's not my intent this time. I'm just saying that not everybody buys ammo online. There are still a few folks like myself who buy over the counter.

We love ya, Stan!
                  Right back at ya, pardner!

Comment

• ahillock
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2016

I plead guilty to the occasional tweak, but that's not my intent this time. I'm just saying that not everybody buys ammo online. There are still a few folks like myself who buy over the counter.
                    So you bought all the parts for your 6.5 Grendel build over the counter? If your local gun shop at all those parts in stock, you need to ask them why they didn't have ammo for you as well.

Comment

• jurassic
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

Cabela's has the PPU, Hornady, and Wolf ammo in stock at my store from time to time. I'm sure the new American Eagle will show up shortly. Only the SST is acceptable for hunting and it's not my fav for the reasons descibed above. I have to depend on a friend who reloads to roll some 100grn ttsx pills for me when he reloads for hunting season. He won't hunt with the SST ammo. Shots are within a 100 yards almost always, so the bullets do make a mess.
                      I asked Federal when they would load an MSR round for us, the reply was, "it's being considered."

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

So you bought all the parts for your 6.5 Grendel build over the counter? If your local gun shop at all those parts in stock, you need to ask them why they didn't have ammo for you as well.
                        Again, none of that is relevant to your question of who cares whether or not AMMO is available locally.

And since we're now going in circles, this is my final post on the matter. You're welcome to have the last word if you so desire.

Comment

• Bill Alexander
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jul 2015

Wolf factory MPT is a very useful hunting projectile. While not bonded, the shank at the base is essentially solid and the bullet shows very good expansion without core loss. I have used this on a wide selection of game and critters. Shot a fair amount of ballistic gel over the years as well.

We load the 130 Swift Scirocco commercially, it is bonded. Watched the tiniest spike buck run near 100 yards with a perfect exit wound. Bullet absolutely demolished the tree he was stood in front off. Wish it had been an SST. Shorter barrel!

One may always play devils advocate for equipment selection by selecting criteria that supports the argument. So recommending a caliber based upon the criteria of LGS available bonded projectiles is like selecting a caliber because it has Lapua brass available. The end begets the means and the criteria is skewed.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

Thank you for that info Mr. Bill and glad to see you on the boards today.

Comment

• Cornbread
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2015

Bill nice to see you posting here. Yes sometimes one can have too much bullet. It has also amazed me at times how far a critter dead on it's feet can run. That is some interesting info on the wolf. I will look into that.

As for your last comment, I think it is a valid point. Most people will chose a cartridge based on ballistics or other factors and find a bullet that suits them. However, in this case where you have two rounds in the same platform with very similar ballistics at normal hunting ranges, I think as a hunter the availability of hunting bullets is a consideration. Even when you factor in the internet a quick search does show more 6.8 hunting bullets available in the secondary market. Even for the reloader, as i am finding out, there are fewer purpose built 6.5 bullets for the Grendel. You can make a case that there are already many 6.5 projectiles on the market that can do well in the smaller case of the Grendel and that the reason you see more 6.8 specific bullets is many of the available 277 bullets are too long to be suitable in the spc case.

Obviously one would not pick a specific caliber based on brass selection alone. However, sometimes it can be an important factor. I have been trying to decide on a 6.5 target bolt gun caliber and of the three or four common calibers the ability to use Lapua brass is a consideration.The consistency and quality of Lapua makes life much easier when prepping brass for longer range shooting.

Cheers

Comment

• stanc
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2011

Many shooters are not hunters.

Comment

Working...
                                X