• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rcgo88
    Unwashed
    • May 2016

Competition Barrel Legnth and Twist

Hello Folks!

My first post. Last year I built my first AR15 in 5.56. I didn't skimp on quality parts as I invested over $2,400.00 before glass. Recently I have discovered the beauty of the 6.5 Grendel round. I am starting to spec out parts for my 6.5 Grendel upper build. This upper will sit on my nicely broken in AR15 lower. The primary use for this upper will be for competition. My range offers competitions out to 500 yards. I am looking for advice on the best barrel twist and length for 600 yard target shooting. I will be using a scope and shooting from several positions: prone, sitting and standing. Any opinions on barrel manufacturers are also appreciated. I am very pleased with my current 5.56 Wilson Combat 416R SS, 18", 1/8 twist barrel. Thank You in advance for replies!
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I think you should consider your body build when picking a 6.5 Grendel for shooting different positions. I find that I swing the 16" barrels better than the longer tubes but I'm getting older, not as strong with shorter arms for my height. I have a friend who has gorilla lenght arms and he can easily shoot 20"-24" rifles with long stocks easily.

The 6.5 Grendel is fully capable to deliver good accuracy out to 600 yards with a 16"-18" barrel. If I were interested in a good accurate barrel in your situation I would call Precision Firearms, JP or Lilja. If your a newer shooter, trigger time will make a huge difference and you might consider a 16"-18" barrel from AA. Spend the money you saved buying a cheaper barrel on ammo and learn to shoot beyond that barrels capability. Then invest in a cut rifled barrel from a top quality manufacturer.

For twist I would go 1:8 twist for 18"-24" or faster twist 1:7.5" for a 14 1/2"-16" barrel.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 05-03-2016, 04:04 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Positional shooting is something I regularly do in my courses with 6.5 Grendel AR15s.

I like the 16" and 18" length guns, as long as the gun is balanced out well. I also use the sling a lot to lock in the position as much as possible.

The nice thing about shorter guns is that they keep the center of gravity closer to you.

The challenge with them is holding them steady through the shot because they are so sensitive to input.

A good trigger plays well into being able to shoot from positions.

Last edited by LRRPF52; 05-03-2016, 02:33 PM.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rcgo88
        Unwashed
        • May 2016

@ Vascar2,

I'm thinking the 18" with a 1:8 twist is ideal for me. Coincidentally that is the exact configuration of my Wilson 5.56 barrel. Also, I've read where guys are shooting out to 1000 yards with an 18" barrel. So for 600 yards and in, the 18" seems to be perfect. I'll be 50 this year so I'm not quite as spry as I used to be either. I'm not a new shooter, but I am certainly amateur at best. I prefer to spend money on a quality barrel that is better than me and practice until I catch up the barrel. I will soon get a new Dillon loader. I have one now and I use to load several pistol calibers, but it doesn't do rifle. Once I build my Grendel 6.5 then I will start saving for a 550 or 650 since I will be loading two different rifle calibers along with all four of my pistol calibers.
        Last edited by rcgo88; 05-03-2016, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• rcgo88
          Unwashed
          • May 2016

@ LRRPF52,

I handle my current 5.56 18" barrel pretty well. So I think that length will work good for me in competition.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by rcgo88 View Post
            Hello Folks!

My first post. Last year I built my first AR15 in 5.56. I didn't skimp on quality parts as I invested over $2,400.00 before glass. Recently I have discovered the beauty of the 6.5 Grendel round. I am starting to spec out parts for my 6.5 Grendel upper build. This upper will sit on my nicely broken in AR15 lower. The primary use for this upper will be for competition. My range offers competitions out to 500 yards. I am looking for advice on the best barrel twist and length for 600 yard target shooting. I will be using a scope and shooting from several positions: prone, sitting and standing. Any opinions on barrel manufacturers are also appreciated. I am very pleased with my current 5.56 Wilson Combat 416R SS, 18", 1/8 twist barrel. Thank You in advance for replies!
            What type of competition?

Comment

• rcgo88
              Unwashed
              • May 2016

@ LR1955

These are the two I am interested in:

60 Round Prone
              500 Yard NRA Mid-Range Match - The Prone match is fired from the 500 yard covered markers. There are three 20 round strings. Any rifle may be used. The 600 yard reduced (Tompkins) target is used for rifles with iron sights. The new NRA official F-class target with a 1/2 minute diameter X-ring (2.5 inch) and 1-minute 10-ring (5-inches) is used by F-Class shooters, shooting either scoped open-class rifles with bench rests or scoped F-Target Rifles (F-TR guns) in standard .308 or .223 tactical configurations with bipods. There are two sighters for each string. Shooters provide their own equipment and ammo (66 rounds minimum). All competitors pull targets unless they bring a separate puller.

4 Peaks Precision Rifle Match - The purpose of this match is to provide an event where the practical/tactical precision rifle shooter can test their abilities in a safe and controlled environment. These competitions give precision rifle shooters an arena to refine their skills in ways that will build marksmanship, confidence and equipment proficiency in way that individual shooting cannot provide. Matches will be conducted in a professional and safe manner.

There will be different courses of fire at each match with different objectives and scoring will be related to those objectives. Example objectives would be; finding and engaging multiple targets, rapid target engagement, accuracy challenges, shooting position challenges, group size etc. Typically there will be 4 -6 stages (individual courses of fire) at any one match.

Targets will range from 100 to 550 yds. Carbines must be capable of 550yd engagement; all firing will take place from fixed position. Caliber limits are .223 - .308. Typically match round count will be around 75 rounds.

Comment

Working...
              X