• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 6.5 mm Shoot
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2016

Red X Arms

Hi all.

As I said before I am looking to build a 20" barrelled Grendel. On my hunt for a barrel I found Red X Arms. They say their Grendel barrels are true type 2 Grendel chambers that use the .136 deep bolt face recess.

Has anyone here dealt with them or know anything about them. Do they make good barrels? Are they good to deal with? Are their barrels accurate? In short should I deal with them or run away? They have a good price on the barrel and bolt.

Thank you much for your time.
    May each day bring you at least one pleasure.
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Can't comment on the barrels, but it is generally known that "Type I" and "Type II" refers only to the head spacing, which then correlates with the .125" or .136" bolt recesses. This was an invention of Black Hole Weaponry, and has nothing to do with the chamber design or pattern. It was solely used to help them identify head spacing options on their barrel orders.

Having said that, all "true type 2" means is the chamber is head spaced for that particular bolt. Nothing about SAAMI, 264 LBC or whatever can be inferred from that information alone.

Caveat Emptor.

ETA: I visited their page, and all I can say is that their nomenclature does nothing to help me understand what reamer they might have used to cut those chambers. I suggest a phone call to their support staff and ask point blank, "Are these SAAMI specification or something else?" Anything but a straight answer of "Yes" or "Something Else" should tell you everything you would want to know.
    Last edited by NugginFutz; 05-03-2016, 03:24 AM.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• jurassic
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
      Can't comment on the barrels, but it is generally known that "Type I" and "Type II" refers only to the head spacing, which then correlates with the .125" or .136" bolt recesses. This was an invention of Black Hole Weaponry, and has nothing to do with the chamber design or pattern. It was solely used to help them identify head spacing options on their barrel orders.

Having said that, all "true type 2" means is the chamber is head spaced for that particular bolt. Nothing about SAAMI, 264 LBC or whatever can be inferred from that information alone.

Caveat Emptor.

ETA: I visited their page, and all I can say is that their nomenclature does nothing to help me understand what reamer they might have used to cut those chambers. I suggest a phone call to their support staff and ask point blank, "Are these SAAMI specification or something else?" Anything but a straight answer of "Yes" or "Something Else" should tell you everything you would want to know.
      I've done business with, they're are legit however they rarely( as in never answered the phone for me. ) An email will get a quick response usually.
      I had a problem with a Sabre defense bbl, they replaced it without much drama.

Comment

• 6.5 mm Shoot
        Bloodstained
        • Apr 2016

I was just looking at a barrel at Brownells. They claim the same thing about a type 2 chamber.

Brownells AR-15/M16 barrels, made for Brownells by Satern Barrels, feature 5R button rifling and are machined from 416R gun barrel steel for a superior shooting barrel. These 6.5 Grendel barrels feature a stainless steel finish. Barrels have 1-8 twist for excellent performance with a wide range of bullets. Available in 18” & 24” lengths. The 18” barrel features a mid-length gas system, while the 24” has a rifle length system. Muzzle is threaded 5/8"-24 and the gas shoulder accepts 0.750" gas block. Chamber is 6.5 Grendel II. Opposite side of gas port features a dimple for a gas block set screw. A 6.5 Grendel bolt is included with each barrel. Bolt is machined from 9310 steel with a bolt face depth of .136". Barrel extension is M4 feed ramp style.

They are making it very hard for me to buy a barrel. I wish Alexandr Arms sold a 20" barrel. That is what I would buy.
        Last edited by 6.5 mm Shoot; 05-06-2016, 03:34 AM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

If you really want a 20 inch barrel that has a saami chamber maybe you should give mark at PF a email or call.

Maybe more then you want to spend but im sure you would get a better barrel.

Comment

• 6.5 mm Shoot
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2016

A5BLASTER Sorry i am not one of the cool kids, I don't know who Mark is or what PF is. So could you help me out with some information on how to get a hold of Mark and what PF is?
            Last edited by 6.5 mm Shoot; 05-06-2016, 03:35 AM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Lol sorry sir. Look at the top of the home page, see sign for precision firearms click on it.

Mark is the owner of said company, look under grendel barrels, scroll down to the critrion barrel list and enjoy sir.

Comment

• 6.5 mm Shoot
                Bloodstained
                • Apr 2016

A5BLASTER thank you much for the information. I don't think his prices are out of line. It is about a $100 more than I paid for my 16" from Alexander Arms. Then I think A A is offering a great deal with his barrels.

I will call and find out if he will make a lighter profile barrel. He may just say I need it fluted to get the weight to where I want it. I am looking for a 20" Grendel barrel that will weigh no more than 2 LBS. The price range I am looking for is $400 with bolt. That is about what he wants for his bolt and barrel. I would like to try his adjustable gas block but he wants $115 for one. The ones I have been using cost $50. Can his be that much better?

What is it they say, it's only money. Most people that say that have plenty. Me on the other hand I have to watch my dimes.
                Last edited by 6.5 mm Shoot; 05-06-2016, 03:37 AM.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2015

The adjustable gas block he offers at $115 is the SLR (http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?r...ath=57_103_104 ) and is actually a few $ cheaper than on their (SLR's) site.

I would call and ask him if it is the clamp-on or set screw version.

I like these gas blocks because of the positive locking detent and that the adjustment screw is on the front rather than the side. You can easily adjust it even if your handguard completely covers the block.

Additionally, these are steel. Less prone to gas erosion. I don't see them on their site now but at one time they were offering these in a nitrided stainless steel version. You can now also get them in Ti.

Comment

• Digitalfalcon
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2016

Hello , Im a newbie, i'm starting my first build ever and decided to go with a Grendel. I recently started lurking on this forum but when i saw this thead I felt compelled to jump in with my 2 cents. I too was looking at Red X and excited about the price of their 20" fluted barrel. However after googling " reviews of Red X arms " I decided to stay away from them And their BBB report cinched the deal,
                    This organization is not BBB accredited. Archery Equipment in Starbuck, MN. See BBB rating, reviews, complaints, & more.

I hope this helps. I dont like to see anyone get a bum deal on something they love. It takes the fun right out of it.
                    I'm back to hunting around for a good price on a 20" SS fluted Barrel. Ya'll have a great forum here. I'm glad to be part of it.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

I've seen mixed reviews on them on other forums, but have no personal experience with them.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 6.5 mm Shoot
                        Bloodstained
                        • Apr 2016

Digitalfalcon thank you much for the information. I will not be buying any thing from Red X Arms. From what I was reading if something goes wrong then you are out of luck. No reason to even try to deal with people like that. There are to many good people to deal with that want to fix something if it goes wrong.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by 6.5 mm Shoot View Post
                          Digitalfalcon thank you much for the information. I will not be buying any thing from Red X Arms. From what I was reading if something goes wrong then you are out of luck. No reason to even try to deal with people like that. There are to many good people to deal with that want to fix something if it goes wrong.
                          That is exactly why you hear people around this and other boards recommend folks like Mark, Adam, Bill and Carl at Precision Firearms, Lilja, Alexander Arms and Black Hole Weaponry. (Not omitting anyone worthy on purpose.)

All the above mentioned have reached out to their customers in need without having their arms bent behind their backs.
                          Last edited by NugginFutz; 05-05-2016, 03:03 AM. Reason: Danged if auto correct (rabbiddawg) didn't bite me
                          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• biodsl
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2011

[QUOTE=6.5 mm Shoot;132495] I am looking for a 20" Grendel barrel that will weigh no more than 2 LBS. QUOTE]

Is this even possible without a pencil profile? Maybe a fluted Lilja 740?
                            AR740: .975" diameter in front of the barrel extension with the Wasp section turned to a diameter of .750" and then tapering back up to .975" diameter at the gas block. The gas block section is turned to .750" and from the gas block to the muzzle the diameter is .740". The barrel length is 20" including the barrel extension and is set for a rifle-length gas system. The muzzle end is threaded .5/8's x 24 TPI (threading is not shown in this image). Weight is 2.23 pounds. Engraved: Lilja AR 6.5 Grendel 8T. To see a .pdf drawing of the profile - Click here     We also have for sale a 6.5 Grendel bolt made by Maxim Firearms. This bolt is a perfect match for our 6.5 Grendel barrels. Machined from certified 9310 AQ (aircraft quality) steel Bolts are a Matte black; phosphate finish Completely assembled with extractor, rings, and ejector, ready for installation into your bolt carrier Also referred to as "Type II" bolt which has a .136" bolt face depth
                            Last edited by biodsl; 05-05-2016, 04:55 AM.
                            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• jurassic
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                              That is exactly why you hear people around this and other boards recommend folks like Mark, Adam, Bill and Carl at Precision Firearms, Lilja, Alexander Arms and Black Hole Weaponry. (Not omitting anyone worthy on purpose.)

All the above mentioned have reached out to their customers in need without having their arms bent behind their backs.
                              This is not true in my case, but if you can afford the manufacturers products mentioned above you can not go wrong. I've learned to take what I read on forums with a grain of salt. right now I would say the BEST bbl deal out there is the on from AA.

Comment

Working...
                              X