What is the best die for reloading grendels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Costa View Post
    Sorry if this question is dumb, but will I need another die other than the forster micrometer for reloading?
    the micrometer is a seating die. you will need a resizing counterpart. im sure you can find it cheaper elsewhere

Comment

Originally posted by YutYut View Post
      the micrometer is a seating die. you will need a resizing counterpart. im sure you can find it cheaper elsewhere

http://www.forsterproducts.com/catal...showprevnext=1

+1. I mentioned the micrometer as it is more precise in the bullet seating. As said here, you still need the Full Length sizing die. The one shown in the Sinclair link is the set I use for the Grendel.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-11-2011, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I'm an avid reloader, but not yet with the AR-type rifles. I'd have to say I've bought my last Forster die - they've come with missing parts and the last didn't touch the shoulder of my 7mm-08, and I sent it back - twice - to have material removed.

I looked at Redding bushing dies, but without a micrometer (a caliper isn't accurate enough) to measure with, the sizes are a guess, and can be expensive if you guess wrong. I just used Standard RCBS for sizing, and a micrometer seating die and did very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaywalker View Post

I looked at Redding bushing dies, but without a micrometer (a caliper isn't accurate enough) to measure with, the sizes are a guess, and can be expensive if you guess wrong. I just used Standard RCBS for sizing, and a micrometer seating die and did very well.
          Please elaborate on a caliper not being accurate enough. I use a digital caliper with a Hornady bullet comparator on it. I have found it to be quite accurate measuring ogive on bolt and AR style rifles in 223 and 6.5 rounds. What are you seeing that causes you concern about accuracy?

Comment

Originally posted by RStewart View Post
            Please elaborate on a caliper not being accurate enough. I use a digital caliper with a Hornady bullet comparator on it. I have found it to be quite accurate measuring ogive on bolt and AR style rifles in 223 and 6.5 rounds. What are you seeing that causes you concern about accuracy?
            It is strange, since the caliper measures to 0.001" accuracy and the bushings come in 0.001" increments. I thought that and called Redding to order one, and the guy who answered warned me off, saying I needed a micrometer measurement. "You could get close with a caliper," he said, "but you'd have to buy two or three of them to be sure, and we can't take them back." As a result, I didn't buy one; maybe things have changed, or possibly he was mistaken. This was probably six years ago.

I also measure the ogive with a bullet comparator, but with a standard analog caliper, and it, too, works fine.

ETA: Here's the link that led to my phone call to Redding: http://www.redding-reloading.com/tech-line-a-tips
            Last edited by Guest; 10-16-2011, 07:20 PM. Reason: Link

Comment

Gotcha. I decided on my bushing based on measuring the outside neck of a loaded round and backed off .002 for neck tension. So far, I'm not seeing any issues. Of course, YMMV.

Comment

I've loaded for many varmint, bench, and hunting rifles using bushing neck dies. I've always gotten accurate measurements with a caliper. That said, I also always buy 2-3 bushing sizes. You may want to adjust neck tension, and different brass will defineately make a difference if you are not turning necks. I've actually changed bushings as the brass gets older since I don't anneal, the tension seems to change as the brass gets worked.

Comment

I don't anneal, either, anymore; I figure that's a good point to buy new brass.

Instead of turning necks, I just sort the brass for neck thickness, where <=0.015" variation is good, greater variation is for hunting and offhand practice. Doing it that way just led me to Lapua brass and not worrying about it.
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-16-2011, 11:00 PM.

Comment

• Six5x39
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by r3dn3ck View Post
                    I've been using the Lee die set. Been really great and comes with the shellholder and powder scoop. A micrometer type seating die would be nice but I'm getting < 1 MOA from my loads. I'm hoping to get 6-8 loadings from the lapua brass. I'm told 10-12 is possible but I don't think I'll get that.
                    do you have problem bullet seating die messing up tip of the bullet ? since I had that issue with 308 lee's dies ( just seating die ) .. I kinda want to stay away from lee's when it comes to bullet using polymer tips . I have no issues with pistol dies tho

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                      Warrior
                      • May 2017

Originally posted by mseric View Post
                      Forster
                      What he said!

Comment

• Cornbread
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2015

The thing you have to watch with bushing dies is neck wall thickness. If the necks are not even in thickness bullet tension can vary. They really shine if you are turning necks. I've never had an issue getting a good hunting rifle to shoot 1/2 moa with standard reloading dies. The key is to measure shoulder set back and not bump too much. The micrometer seater is a good investment if you use a comparator and go off the ogive. For a new reloader I would stick with standard dies and get a headspace gauge.

Comment

• Cornbread
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2015

Case in point I have 2 bolt action rifles. One is a savage 110 that was literally a Kmart blue light special if your old enough to know what that was. Crappy barrel,terrible trigger. 1 1/2-2 moa gun on a good day. I don't care how good the ammo is it's not shooting 1/2". Now take the custom Sako,match barreled 7 mag I had built. It shoots in the.3's with several loads. All done with standard Rcbs dies. Out the bag winchester brass. The only thing special I do here is hand weigh every charge on an Ohaus beam scale. Where you really see the difference in match grade reloading is long range. Past normal hunting ranges. 600-1000 yds. Vertical spread is crucial in long range target shooting. Thst is why these cats turn necks, use bushing dies and use very expensive scales to get there es and sd's in single digit range. If you are reloading for an AR with a non match grade barrel then you are not going to see much difference.

Comment

• Kilco
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2016

I feel like a chump, but I've had very good luck using a plain old Hornady new dimension FL sizer, and a Redding seating die.

Only reason for the Redding seater is I get more consistant OAL when compressing loads compared to the Hornady seater.

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

Do you know this is a 6 year old thread?

Comment

Working...
                              X