• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark_L
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2015

Criterion vs Lothar Walther

These barrels with a bolt are both available from PF for about the same price and I'm probably going to go with one or the other. Anyone have any feedback to help me decide which to go with?
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

I would drop a line to mark and see what his take is. He's been busy lately with new family. The L/W barrels are good from all reports I've seen, we've yet to see much feedback on the criterions,but if mark is selling them they are good pipes

Richard
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Criterion, no question about it, although PF found a good back door on LW pipes last I heard, not the normal German reject pipes sent zum der untermesch.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Mark_L
        Unwashed
        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
        I would drop a line to mark and see what his take is. He's been busy lately with new family. The L/W barrels are good from all reports I've seen, we've yet to see much feedback on the criterions,but if mark is selling them they are good pipes

Richard
        Thank you. I did drop him a note and know he's been very busy lately. I thought I'd see what the board had to say as well.

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

Only have one LW barrel and do see on occasion what I read about them having an occasional unexplained flyer. Then again it could be my LW barrel is chambered in 50BMG so I could easily be the culprit of that flyer. But have seen it with other experienced shooters.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by kmon View Post
            Only have one LW barrel and do see on occasion what I read about them having an occasional unexplained flyer. Then again it could be my LW barrel is chambered in 50BMG so I could easily be the culprit of that flyer. But have seen it with other experienced shooters.
            I was warned about this years before ever shooting LW barrels (the ones imported to the US after the Germans inspect their lots and keep the PASS barrels in Europe).

I've seen 6mm LW pipes that would literally bug hole 4rds to where you could not tell how many rounds were fired, then throw one into 1.5" to 1.7", repeatedly.

In .338 Lapua Magnum, you would get initial groups in the 1.5-2" region, then they would start to break in with .75" and eventually .5" 3rd groups if you were lucky.

They make a great blaster barrel for 5.56 NATO.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

I've had two very good LW barrels, and one that had the "flyer" phenomenon. I've had friends who also had the "flyer" issue. My two good barrels shot sub half MOA groups, and the other shot tiny groups as well, then would throw a shot WAY outside.

It makes absolutely NO sense to me that it occurs, and I've never seen a viable explanation, but I've seen LOTS of people mention it, so it's apparently not just in MY head!

I'd go Criterion if I was choosing.

Comment

• Mark_L
                Unwashed
                • Jun 2015

Thanks to all. The "flyer phenomenon" is very good to know.

Comment

• criterionbarrels
                  Unwashed
                  • Jan 2016

My vote is for the Criterion, but I may just be a little biased

Comment

• Jtmbtech
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by criterionbarrels View Post
                    My vote is for the Criterion, but I may just be a little biased
                    Lol!

Comment

• ricsmall
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

The flyer phenom is good to know. Never heard that or either forgot about it.

Richard
                      Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Kohoki
                        Unwashed
                        • Nov 2014

I do own 4 Lothar Walther barrels on my rifles:

1x 223. 18" AR-15
                        1x .223 10.5" AR15
                        1x .300 Whisper 14.5" AR-15
                        1x 6.5 Grendel AR-15

I am German and I can only confirm excellent quality from Lothar Walther. I had my rifles tested in a German language gun magazine, you can read the articles here:

Black Gold
                        The Grendel

The best achievable precision of the Grendel was about 8 mm (4 shot group, 100m, fifth shot opend group to 24mm).
                        The best achievable precision of the 18" was about 9mm (5 shot group, 100m)
                        The best achievable precision of the 10.5" was about 21mm (5 shot group, 100m)
                        The best achievable precision of the 14.5 .300 Whisper was about 17mm (5 shot group 100m, 17mm, 110 grs VMAX)

I have to admit that the Grendels quality could only be achieved after a new chamber was cut with a Manson reamer according to SAAMI Spec. instead of CIP.

Comment

Working...
                        X