Interesting occurrence during load work-up this weekend...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pdq5oh
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2015

Nugginfutz, I've had very good accuracy with 123 SSTs and 28.1 gr of 8208. 2.250 COAL. 123 AMAXs liked 28.3 of 8208 at 2.240 COAL best. The SSTs shoot better than the AMAXs by a little. I've had good luck with factory 123 AMAXs, also. You mentioned the Berger Hybrids. I haven't had great accuracy at 100 & 200 yds on paper but, have had very good results with them at 1000 yds on steel. That was with 30 or 30.3 of CFE loaded to 2.265 COAL. Mine is a 20", 1:9 BHW barrel.
    Phil

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by JASmith View Post

The point is that the OAL was around 2.2" because that was about as far out as I could seat them without engaging lands. I think you'll find that's why NuggeiFutz used a length of 2.210" too.
      Actually, the load is for one of my 264 LBCs, which have tolerated a greater COAL. I stuck with the 2.210" because I felt seating any longer would not leave enough bullet in the case neck. Call me OC if you want, but I believe that without enough case neck to hold the bullet immobilized, feeding in an autoloader could induce runout. My general rule of thumb is to leave at least caliber's worth of bullet within the case neck.

Seated at 2.210", the Sierra 85 Varminter leaves just .151" of bullet is left in the neck - much less than my desired .264". The Hodgdon reloading center shows a 2.240" COAL for this bullet, but their COAL would leave even less bullet in the case neck (.121"). Not enough to suit me, even if it is a flat based projectile.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by pdq5oh View Post
        Nugginfutz, I've had very good accuracy with 123 SSTs and 28.1 gr of 8208. 2.250 COAL. 123 AMAXs liked 28.3 of 8208 at 2.240 COAL best. The SSTs shoot better than the AMAXs by a little. I've had good luck with factory 123 AMAXs, also. You mentioned the Berger Hybrids. I haven't had great accuracy at 100 & 200 yds on paper but, have had very good results with them at 1000 yds on steel. That was with 30 or 30.3 of CFE loaded to 2.265 COAL. Mine is a 20", 1:9 BHW barrel.
        Pdq - thanks for the info. My 22" BHW (1:9) is very happy with similar loads, but I have yet to shoot the Bergers through it. I've been focused on getting its shorter sibling, the aforementioned 18" BHW (1:8), to shoot a load in the 120-something weight class. My original hope was to find a single load that both barrels shot well. "All the best laid plans", and all that, I suppose.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Moonshine44
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2015

This is great information, gentlemen! Thanks!
          If it ain't fun, why bother doin' it?

Comment

• pdq5oh
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2015

Nuggin, I'd think the Bergers should shoot pretty similarly to in your 22" gun as in my 20". I don't shoot them at paper anymore. I got a velocity of 2425 but feel that's low. My chrono was giving me fits a few months ago when I checked the Bergers. I must admit I've been concentrating on my 260 bolt gun more lately to get after the mile plate. I plan to do some testing this weekend and will take the Grendel and Bergers to get better velocity data.
            Moonshine44, hope you get some loads figured out soon. When you do the Grendel will make good accuracy easy. I let a friend who had never shot a rifle before shoot mine. She was 4-4 on a 200 yd plate and 4-4 on a 400 yd plate. 600 & 800 are next.
            Phil

Comment

• Moonshine44
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2015

I'm thinking right now that I'm going to be pursuing the 120 grain AMax/27.5 grain 8208 combination. Hope to get back to my bench in the next evening or two...

Comment

• pdq5oh
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2015

Here are some numbers from my drop charts. Wind correction is 15 mph full value
                123 SST at 2480: 800 yds +27 MOA up. + 11.3 MOA. 1332 fps.
                130 Hybrid at 2425: 800 yds +26.9 MOA up. + 10.3 MOA. 1377 fps
                123 SST at 2480: 1000 yds +41.3 MOA up. +15.3 MOA. 1113 fps
                130 Hybrid at 2425: 1000 yds +40.5 MOA up. +14 MOA. 1172 fps
                It's been a while since I shot the Grendel at 1000 and if I remember correctly, I didn't have to use as much correction as the charts suggested with the Bergers. I didn't write anything down at the time, tho.
                Phil

Comment

• Moonshine44
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2015

I plan to, eventually, do some longer range shooting. I'm not sure what the longest distance is that I can set up in our pastures, but it's a pretty good reach.

Comment

• Kinganuthin
                    Bloodstained
                    • Feb 2016

Sounds like things got worse as time went on.. Sure its not some other variable? Scope gone bad?

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                      My 18" BHW adores the 85 Sierra Varminters, but I didn't feel comfortable loading them to mag length, as I felt there would not be enough bullet in the case neck. At 2.210", however, the best groups are at .45 MOA, and overall groups are .75 MOA. It's a genuine pity their BC is so poor, as I really would love to use these for long range pDogs. The load of 28.4 grs H322 is wonderfully stable and accurate, but only netted 2625 fps, as higher charges opened the groups. At 500+ yards, the drop is already at 4.3 mils.

As a side note, I'm still searching for an accurate Amax or SST load for this barrel. I've had only moderate success with the Berger 130 AR Hybrids.
                      Hmmmm, have you tried RL17 and CFE?

Comment

• McFireFighter
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by pdq5oh View Post
                        Here are some numbers from my drop charts. Wind correction is 15 mph full value
                        123 SST at 2480: 800 yds +27 MOA up. + 11.3 MOA. 1332 fps.
                        130 Hybrid at 2425: 800 yds +26.9 MOA up. + 10.3 MOA. 1377 fps
                        123 SST at 2480: 1000 yds +41.3 MOA up. +15.3 MOA. 1113 fps
                        130 Hybrid at 2425: 1000 yds +40.5 MOA up. +14 MOA. 1172 fps
                        It's been a while since I shot the Grendel at 1000 and if I remember correctly, I didn't have to use as much correction as the charts suggested with the Bergers. I didn't write anything down at the time, tho.
                        Ran the numbers at my elevation and got 39.87 with Strelok. A tad off. What elevation are you shooting?

Comment

• NugginFutz
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                          Hmmmm, have you tried RL17 and CFE?
                          With the Sierra's? No. When I worked up that load I could find neither CFE 223 or RL 17.

I've since procured a keg of the CFE and a couple hundred 95 VMax to try. I may as well pop some Sierras in over a load of CFE to see what mv I can develop. Also tried another go with the 123 AMax, today. Turned out the same same. 22" loves them while the 18" sneered at them again.
                          Last edited by NugginFutz; 05-15-2016, 05:27 AM. Reason: Fat finger

Comment

• JASmith
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2014

"85 VMAX"in 6.5. Did I miss an announcement, or was it the Sierra Varminter?
                            shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                            -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                              "85 VMAX"in 6.5. Did I miss an announcement, or was it the Sierra Varminter?
                              You must have misread. I clearly say 95 vmax. Yeah, that's it. You misread.

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
                                Warrior
                                • Nov 2015

Quandry with a stuck bolt

I have a problem that maybe someone can shed some light. I was shooting some reloads I got from a friend, and one didn't fire off, but came out of the chamber with no problem. The next one also didn't fire, but now is stuck in the chamber. I broken down the rifle so that I'm working only with the upper. But the bolt itself will not pull out even with the assist of the charging handle, whereas in the past, it's always slid out easily.

I've shot many reloads in this rifle (with an occasional nonfiring one), as well as in another rifle.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there any danger associated with trying to work out the bolt (even though it seems to be stuck with no movement)?
                                If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.

Comment

Working...
                                X