• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • catorres1
    Bloodstained
    • May 2016

Originally posted by BoxofRox View Post
    This rifle was finished about 16 hours before it made this kill.

Can you provide the details on your build here, including your optics?

Comment

• customcutter
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

Great story and pics. Congrats on a very nice bear, they just opened the season again in Fl last year.

Comment

• BoxofRox
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2015

2A Armament balios lite upper, lower, and handguard.
        2A Armament regulated bolt carrier.
        2A ti takedown pins
        2A ti gas block
        V7 ti sling mount and end plate
        V7 thread protector
        LaRue trigger
        Lilja 319 fluted barrel
        AA hard use bolt
        B5 enhanced stock
        AXTS talon safety
        AXTS charging handle

Optic is a vortex 4-16 hst in a LaRue mount for now, planning on going to a 2.5-10 pst in a nightforce mount though. Should shave some weight off. The rifle before optics weighs exactly 6lbs.

Comment

• wraith1516
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

Good luck getting a michigan bear tag

Comment

• catorres1
            Bloodstained
            • May 2016

Originally posted by BoxofRox View Post
            2A Armament balios lite upper, lower, and handguard.
            2A Armament regulated bolt carrier.
            2A ti takedown pins
            2A ti gas block
            V7 ti sling mount and end plate
            V7 thread protector
            LaRue trigger
            Lilja 319 fluted barrel
            AA hard use bolt
            B5 enhanced stock
            AXTS talon safety
            AXTS charging handle

Optic is a vortex 4-16 hst in a LaRue mount for now, planning on going to a 2.5-10 pst in a nightforce mount though. Should shave some weight off. The rifle before optics weighs exactly 6lbs.
            Awesome, how do you feel about that optic? Obviously, you would like something lighter..but otherwise, as far as light gathering and clarity?

I need to get something for my son that will work for hunting and long range precision rifle classes, as well as pig hunting at niight with lights. I definitely want a zero stop, how does your 4-16 hold up in low light and at very long range (daytime)?

And what does your rifle weigh in it's current configuration?

Thanks!

Comment

• BoxofRox
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2015

Originally posted by catorres1 View Post
              Awesome, how do you feel about that optic? Obviously, you would like something lighter..but otherwise, as far as light gathering and clarity?

I need to get something for my son that will work for hunting and long range precision rifle classes, as well as pig hunting at niight with lights. I definitely want a zero stop, how does your 4-16 hold up in low light and at very long range (daytime)?

And what does your rifle weigh in it's current configuration?

Thanks!
              I've been using that 4-16 for a few years on another AR and just stole it to take the Grendel hunting. I really like that optic, clear, dependable, and I like the reticle a lot. I try to stick with Vortex due to their awesome warranty. I have shot a few coyotes at night with this optic and never felt held back by lack of light gathering or clarity issues. And I live on a farm that you can see for a long ways, and I've had this optic in the mountains many times, seeing long range isn't an issue. It's always met or exceeded my expectations.

The rifle weighs 7lbs 14oz, and I added a magpul sling mount on the rail and a magpul mlok bipod mount, so those add a couple ounces.
              Last edited by BoxofRox; 05-15-2016, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• catorres1
                Bloodstained
                • May 2016

That's great information, thanks!

My son's rifle will wear the same barrel as yours, but unfortunately, I could not afford the fluting, it just passed the limit for me to pull off. His handguards are 17" UTG pro's. So his is going to be a little heavier than yours, due to the lack of fluting. The long hguards were only something like an ounce or two over the 15's, so not too worried about that.

Have you already hunted with the 2.5-10 pst? I am thinking about that one, but am concerned the smaller objective would not be so good for night hunting.

Thanks!

Comment

• BoxofRox
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2015

I couldn't afford the fluting either, but somehow I ended up with it.

I am going with the 2.5-10x44, so it will have the same objective as the 4-16. I like the ffp of the x32 but I want to have the bigger lens for hunting, because that will be the main purpose of this rifle. I don't plan on taking it past 500yds, target shooting or hunting, so I think the 10x is a good balance of size and usability.

Comment

Working...
                  X