• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Berger Hog #11

I don't know how it is in the rest of the world, but here in north Texas, the buffalo gnats (AKA black flies) are absolutely terrible out in the wilds. If you are out before dark, they will eat you alive and DEET does not seem to do much to slow them down. I scouted the property and then took pictures later while wearing my shooting muffs, solely for the purpose of keeping those buggers out of my ears! In the stand, however, Thermacell did a good job of keeping them at bay.

So I walked in and headed to check my favorite area at TBR and found very fresh tracks. Checked the camera and turned to go check the rubbing post Mr. TBR had set up and I saw hogs dash into the woods, only about 25 yards from me. They weren't there when I approached the game camera, but apparently showed up while I was checking the card. Wow.

Fortunately, one of the hogs gave me a second chance.

The second part of the video has the necropsy for the terminal ballistics. Pretty cool. The round overpenetrated as usual. I made a quartering away shoulder shot, breaking the shoulder blade at the neck (thick portion) and the bullet traveled between the blade and ribs, into the lower half of the neck, damaging tissue on both sides, but exiting the opposite side from the entry. The hog DDRT.

I think there was a bit less tissue damage than normal, but there was still a lot. Instead of boring a conical hole through the soft tissue, it was more of a skinny oval, maybe as a result the quartering angle of impact on the shoulder blade?

This round will definitely damage the heck out of hogs, overpenetrates consistently (only one exception so far and that was a lengthwise shot into the neck), and performs well in general...unless you are wanting to save the meat. Then you need to be choosy about your shots as the round will damage what it enters and everything beyond in an ever growing pattern of destruction. For hogs, I like it!

Here is the video...
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

That was a nice shot and post-mortem analysis.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Drift
      Warrior
      • Nov 2014

Impressive sir! And 11 hogs down with the 130gr bullet are enough to say this is more than just anecdotal evidence.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

Well, 10 out of 11 are recovered. I had one shot through the neck that bled a lot, but we never managed to track him down, lost in the thickety of briars and poison ivy.

Comment

• robertc1024
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2015

Impressive vid. I finally got my Grendel ironed out last weekend with the run-of-the-mill 123G Amax's. Had other people shooting bug-holes at 100 yards, I can only wait until my first hog hunt.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

"Run-of.-a-mill" Hornady 123 gr. Amax or SST bullets seem to be a fairly high standard for being run-of-a-mill. You may find that your Amax performs very well!

Comment

• 81police
              Warrior
              • Feb 2013

was out checking a trailcam yesterday and got tormented by black flies. They sure do love circling your head. Great video Brian!
              John 11:25-26

Comment

• jawbone
                Warrior
                • Jan 2012

beauty of a shot. small room for error, but tucked it right in there. your necropsies absolutely show what that bullet is capable of.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

Thanks guys! Not to sound morbid, but I have enjoyed doing the necropsies. Usually, we just cut off the damaged parts and not think twice about them. I have found this exercise to be interesting.

81police, at the risk of sounding like a flowerchild essential oils kinds of person, I actually tried using vanilla extract diluted in water (looked like dark tea) and applied by spray bottle to ward off the gnats. I went out for an hour and 15 minutes today during which time I was filling feeders (4) and changing batteries in a couple game cameras. I had very little insect interaction and mostly there at the end. Being as it is diluted in water, it doesn't stick real well and so sort of washes off with sweat. Had I stayed out, I would have needed to re-apply. However, as an initial test, it worked pretty well. What I failed to do was to go out first and see how bad they were. I applied the stuff and then went out. So the test may not be valid.

I may try again tomorrow evening (when they are really bad) and see how it goes. I will be using it in conjunction with OFF as the OFF is more to help with the chiggers and ticks as well. So far, as I noted, OFF has been pretty useless on the gnats.

I will say this, vanilla extract/water spray smells and tastes a whole lot better than OFF.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

The gnats have been pretty bad here the last couple of years and I bought Buggins Natural insect repellent (Vanilla Mint & Rose) which really works. Label says it contains no Deet but list the ingredients as 1.5% Geraniol, Peppermint oil .05%, Lemongrass oil .06% and Clove oil .05%. The label also list purified water, hydrogenated castor oil, vanillin and sodium benzoate.

I really don't care for the smell of Buggins but I'm willing to put up with the smell to get away from harassment of the gnats and flies. The Buggins isn't effective on mosquitos or ticks but I've used buggins in combination with Off and they both seem to work.
                    Last edited by VASCAR2; 05-21-2016, 02:56 PM.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2012

Insects don't bother me but they swarm to my wife (and her relatives) and listening to them complain was motivation enough for me to find something that works.

That stuff works, but it is a little bit of an annoyance to apply properly. If it is in your budget, and they have stuff you would be willing to wear, it is best to get clothes and accessories with it applied at the factory in a pressure cooker. They are sold under the name Insect Shield clothing and you get seventy washings with it still working instead of about eight if you do it yourself. Or, if is a big enough deal to you, I suppose you could experiment with a dedicated pressure cooker for insect treating laundry yourself. : )

Comment

• customcutter
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2014

Over 20 years ago we used to use Avon's Skin So Soft for no-see-ums. A small gnat here in Florida, they are actually so small you can't see them, and have a painful bite. I just looked and they actually market a bug spray now, might be worth a try. It was the only thing that would keep the no-see-ums at bay, DEET, OFF, or anything else was nearly as effective.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2012

We tried that back then too, but didn't have as favorable results.

Comment

Working...
                          X