• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PredatorDown
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

Custom CZ527 in 6.5 Grendel

Spent 2 hours bs'ing with my gunsmith today. We finalized everything for my 7SAUM build, and then he proceeded to show me some of the other builds he's working on. If I keep going over there I may need to pick up a third job!

How's this for a big brother / little brother set?

Little brother is a CZ527 action chambered in 6.5 Grendel (I swooned when he told me what it was chambered in)

Big brother is chambered in 376 Steyr (can't remember what action) and has 3 barrels/scopes to go with the takedown. Can't remember what the other two were though. But he swapped out barrels and scopes by hand in right around a minute, and he said once sighted in you could do the swap without having to rezero! Abso-freaking-lutely incredible.

He also made the mannlicher style stocks for both. This guy is not only an artist, he takes his art to an entirely different level of functionality

• adamjp
    Warrior
    • Oct 2014

Very very nice.

Comment

• Roe
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

Rare to see that level of craftsmanship on the forums these days.
      Very beautiful!

Comment

• ricsmall
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

That's some beautiful work there. Thanks for sharing

Richard
        Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

Looks like the rifles are rigged for a southpaw!

Next time you see your gunsmith, can you get more information about the switch barrel?

Thanks!
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

The gunsmith is also an artist, if they shoot half as good as they look even better. Love the 527 Grendel I have.

Comment

• PredatorDown
              Warrior
              • Jun 2014

Thanks for the kind words guys! He's just a small company right now without any employees besides himself. But in a way that's a good thing since you know he'll be the only one touching your rifle and not some 19 year old apprentice! Although I've been bugging him about letting me come and learn from him once he gets his new shop built

I've never shot one of his takedowns, but I've seen the results of the load development he does for them if the customer wants it. Ragged hole groups are pretty much the norm. I HAVE shot some of the rifles he's built for a friend that are more BR style rifles, and they'll usually shoot 1/2 MOA out to at least 700-800 yards with a hack like me behind the trigger

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
              Next time you see your gunsmith, can you get more information about the switch barrel?

Thanks!
              I'll be back there next week to drop some brass off that I grabbed for him. I think I'll take my camera equipment and see if he'll let me take some photos that are a little more professional looking than using my phone :P

What all would you like to know about the takedowns?

The scope mounts are actually welded and then machined onto the action. The rings are some weird European claw type mounts that come off easier than anything I've seen, but once installed are rock solid. To install, just stab the back ring into the mount and lower the front ring down until it locks into place. To pull off, I can't remember if it's a button or a slide to release the front ring and then the back lifts out.

The forend has a release on the bottom that you have to release before you can unthread the barrel. Like I said though, no tools required! When attaching the new barrel, simply thread it on all the way until the release locks, and you're good to go. He'll chamber and headspace however many barrels you want for it, just keep in mind that you'd have to have a scope set up for each one if you didn't want to have to rezero.

What do you guys think, should I see if he'd let me take a video of him swapping one out next time I'm there?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Those are sweet dude. I've taken a liking to Mannlicher stocks for some reason. The balance on them can be just wonderful.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• kmon
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2015

Comment

Working...
                  X