Thread: 35 or 338 wildcat

35 or 338 wildcat

Any wildcats using the Grendel case and a 358 or 338 bore?

I thought there might have been for a second but I was thinking of this:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ve-shot-group/

Chieftain
    http://www.bfgcartridges.com/358Gremlin.html i think it has a bit of a fallowing in states that allow length restricted bottleneck cartridges for deer hunting, many straights requires strightwall cartridges to limit ballistics to but some like indiana allow a bottle neck as long as the case is below "x" length and above "y" caliber usually 35 cal and 1.625" or 1.8" in mechigan the state id decided into shotgun and rifle zone for deer, in the shotgun zone you are now allowed to use 357 or greater strightwall cartridges up to 1.8 inches long an no 45-70

i have a 500s&w single shot rifle and while i have never been particularly interested in it as a handgun cartridge it is awesome is well suited to a rifle and picks up quite a bit ballistically the 350xtp loads pick up 600fps over handguns for 2400fps&5000ft/lbs which given typically limited hunting ranges is more than you could ever need for deer....
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Warrior
    Back before this forum crashed,a guy was making the "358 Gremlin". I believe it was the first Grendel wildcat. We compared it to the 338. The general conclusion was the 358 was superior to the 338. While more numerous,too many of the 338 bullets were to long. The 358 Gremlin would single stack in an AR magazine well. Ballistics were identical with the 35 Remington I believe. You could even load 357 bullets in it for plinking. I do believe I read an article about a Mini 30 converted to such a caliber. This was was all discussed back during the Russian invasion of Georgia and as I recall StanC posted some pictures of Spetnatz troops using a suppressed 358x39 cartridge with reported great success. But I digress.. Take away..The 338 bullets are far to hard and meant for magnum velocities.

Chieftain
    most of the spitzer 358 bullets are overbuilt for the achievable velocities as well most being made for the 358 winchester or 35 walen the exception being the hornady ftx which was designed for the 35 remington

if you want a larger bore are you are better off with 50 beuwolf or 458 socom

Quote Originally Posted by mongoosesnipe View Post

if you want a larger bore are you are better off with 50 beuwolf or 458 socom
    Yeah, I just want something that is not so common.

Chieftain
    Quote Originally Posted by 264 WSM View Post
    are you wanting to stay with the AR15 platform? it kinda limits your wildcat potential 358 gremlin is probably your best bet if so

Warrior
    Were I to do a wildcat based on the Grendel, I would look @ a 257 Grendel.

Unwashed
    Quote Originally Posted by 264 WSM View Post
    While not getting into the my ..... is better than your .... I too am interested in this wildcat. It's a 35 Remington in an AR and as such should make a great short to mid range shooter for most any game in the US, imo. Are there better choices, sure, but the beauty of choices is that we are all free to do our own thing.

If you go this route please keep us in the loop.

Bloodstained
    Check out 358 MGP. Barrels and dies are available here. http://www.mgpcustoms.com/358_MGP.html

I am considering this for a future purchase.