• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 264 WSM
    Unwashed
    • May 2016

35 or 338 wildcat

Any wildcats using the Grendel case and a 358 or 338 bore?
  • KentuckyBuddha
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

I thought there might have been for a second but I was thinking of this:

All target shooters strive for perfect shot placement. Well one man has come closer to perfection than any other shooter who ever lived. You are looking at Michael Stinnett's .

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
      Chieftain
      • May 2012

http://www.bfgcartridges.com/358Gremlin.html i think it has a bit of a fallowing in states that allow length restricted bottleneck cartridges for deer hunting, many straights requires strightwall cartridges to limit ballistics to but some like indiana allow a bottle neck as long as the case is below "x" length and above "y" caliber usually 35 cal and 1.625" or 1.8" in mechigan the state id decided into shotgun and rifle zone for deer, in the shotgun zone you are now allowed to use 357 or greater strightwall cartridges up to 1.8 inches long an no 45-70

i have a 500s&w single shot rifle and while i have never been particularly interested in it as a handgun cartridge it is awesome is well suited to a rifle and picks up quite a bit ballistically the 350xtp loads pick up 600fps over handguns for 2400fps&5000ft/lbs which given typically limited hunting ranges is more than you could ever need for deer....
      Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Drift
        Warrior
        • Nov 2014

Back before this forum crashed,a guy was making the "358 Gremlin". I believe it was the first Grendel wildcat. We compared it to the 338. The general conclusion was the 358 was superior to the 338. While more numerous,too many of the 338 bullets were to long. The 358 Gremlin would single stack in an AR magazine well. Ballistics were identical with the 35 Remington I believe. You could even load 357 bullets in it for plinking. I do believe I read an article about a Mini 30 converted to such a caliber. This was was all discussed back during the Russian invasion of Georgia and as I recall StanC posted some pictures of Spetnatz troops using a suppressed 358x39 cartridge with reported great success. But I digress.. Take away..The 338 bullets are far to hard and meant for magnum velocities.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
          Chieftain
          • May 2012

most of the spitzer 358 bullets are overbuilt for the achievable velocities as well most being made for the 358 winchester or 35 walen the exception being the hornady ftx which was designed for the 35 remington

if you want a larger bore are you are better off with 50 beuwolf or 458 socom

Comment

• 264 WSM
            Unwashed
            • May 2016

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post

if you want a larger bore are you are better off with 50 beuwolf or 458 socom
            Yeah, I just want something that is not so common.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
              Chieftain
              • May 2012

Originally posted by 264 WSM View Post
              are you wanting to stay with the AR15 platform? it kinda limits your wildcat potential 358 gremlin is probably your best bet if so

Comment

• Drift
                Warrior
                • Nov 2014

Were I to do a wildcat based on the Grendel, I would look @ a 257 Grendel.

Comment

• 41bear
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2017

Originally posted by 264 WSM View Post
                  While not getting into the my ..... is better than your .... I too am interested in this wildcat. It's a 35 Remington in an AR and as such should make a great short to mid range shooter for most any game in the US, imo. Are there better choices, sure, but the beauty of choices is that we are all free to do our own thing.

If you go this route please keep us in the loop.
                  "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

Check out 358 MGP. Barrels and dies are available here. http://www.mgpcustoms.com/358_MGP.html

I am considering this for a future purchase.

Comment

• pajasonc
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2016

Just read on thefirearmblog that wolf is consideri7.62x39 importing 9x39 ammo. necked up 7.62x39 but it would be the same as a necked up 6.5 grendel because all the case taper is gone in the 9x39 as well.

Comment

• kmon
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2015

The 35 Gremlin would be a cool one to have. Not sure if Remington still makes them but I have about 100 or so 180gr .358 diameter rifle bullets that are quit destructive when started at 3000fps from a 350 Remington magnum. Those would be much more well behaved from a Grendel case. Talk about penetration from a 35 caliber bullet the old discontinued Nosler 180gr partition also running about 3k is a hammer.

I can see the 35 being a good short range round and .357 diameter handgun bullets surprised me on accuracy from the 350. Not great but had loads that would do 1.5 inch or a little less at 100 yards which for those bullets was ok with me as that is well within minute of hog for the distances I shot with those bullets.

Comment

• 454bore
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2014

The 9x39 would make a good sub-sonic hunting round with powder coated cast bullets in 200 to 260 grain weights.

Comment

Unwashed
                            • Jun 2017

I shoot the 358MGP a lot...and it is a lot of fun. Does great with 180HC and 200FTX. Haven't found the formula with 158 pistol bullets yet.

Comment

• howl
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2015

Cheap 9x39 upper and ammo would be fun for plinking. Needs to be a pistol with slow ammo, though. I hated the 7.62x39 pistol I had.

Comment

Working...
                              X