• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Berger Hog #12

No necropsy this time. Sorry. This hog is off to be butchered for consumption and in the warm temps, it was more important to deliver the hog than to cut it apart for the sake of knowledge.

As usual, the Berger VLD-Hunting round overpenetrated and as usual, appeared to fragment in the process. I found it really interesting that the sow had two very distinct exit wounds. It looked like she had two FMJ exit wounds, but there was only one shot.

The landowner thought he heard the sound of an impact on the piglet. I saw no indication of a hit on its running. We did look for it, but it apparently mad it into the woods with the poison ivy. I would be surprised if it was hit.

I like these daylight hogs. It seems strange to be able to just see them right there out in the open with the unaided eye, LOL.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Roe
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• customcutter
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

Nice shooting. Never saw two exit wounds like that, would have been interesting to see the internals, but proper butchering was important as you said.

Try the Skin So Soft that I mentioned in the other thread. It was quite effective on No-see-ums.

Comment

• 37L1
        Warrior
        • Jan 2015

As always, I open up your vids and enjoy the ride! Thanks for posting them.

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to have your load recipe for the 130 Berger Hunting VLD's and willing to share the info? I'm seriously thinking of going to them as a back up for the 123 SST.

Keep knocking them down!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

I am shooting factory ammo, but loaded by Precision Firearms. Not a clue as to their recipe. They claim 2450 fps out of their test barrel. Out of my 20" barrel, I am getting right at 2400 fps.

I don't know that you can go wrong with the SST, but the VLD-Hunting is impressive.
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• 37L1
            Warrior
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
            I am shooting factory ammo, but loaded by Precision Firearms. Not a clue as to their recipe. They claim 2450 fps out of their test barrel. Out of my 20" barrel, I am getting right at 2400 fps.

I don't know that you can go wrong with the SST, but the VLD-Hunting is impressive.
            Yes they are. Thanks for the info. That speed is about what I'm getting for the sweet spot with my 20" barrel with different bullets.

Comment

Working...
            X