• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ccasanova
    Warrior
    • Mar 2016

NightForce SHV

Anybody here using one of the NF SHV scopes?

I looked through one at a shop this weekend. It stood out to me over the Burris xtr2 and Vortex pst. I haven't seen the Bushnell LRHS in person. Trying to make a decision soon.
    Last edited by ccasanova; 05-23-2016, 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

They are good to go. It has a zero set feature, NF glass, NF turret construction.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ccasanova
      Warrior
      • Mar 2016

I'm going back this weekend to try to decide between the 4-14x56 SFP Illuminated MOAR reticle vs 4-14x50 F1 FFP MILR reticle with Illumination.

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

I know you didn't ask but I'm gonna offer my 2 cents.

First decide what the main use of the optic is.

I like ffp for target shooting. They are ok for hunting in bright light conditions but in extreme low light the reticle gets hard to see. Illumination even on low is too bright. I'm talking 1/2 hr after sundown when big boy moves out into the plot.

I like sfp for hunting.

I will be switching one of my grendels to sfp for hunting season and ffp the rest of the time. If I could only choose one, I'm going sfp
        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• PredatorDown
          Warrior
          • Jun 2014

I've got the SHV 4-14x56 SFP on my Grendel and love it. It replaced a PST 4-16x50FFP and I'll never look back. Not to say that the PST isn't a good scope, the SHV is just more than worth the difference in price.

I also doubt I'll ever use another FFP scope unless I get into shooting PRS style matches. That's honestly the only time I see it being an advantage. For LR and target shooting, I personally prefer the thinner reticle at high magnifications of the SFP scopes. Not to mention that with most SFP scopes, the reticle subtensions are correct at the highest magnification which is what I generally use for target/LR shooting.

Also with the FFP scopes I've found it hard to track moving animals on low magnification. I've lost more than a couple coyotes in the brush because I've had a hard time finding the reticle on 4x.

Not saying any of this is 100% fact for everyone, but it's what has rang true in my own personal experience

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

That's interesting, I prefer the opposite.

Just so we're on the same page;

FFP (Front Focal Plane) the reticle expands as the magnification increases and the range graduations are usable at all magnifications.

SFP (Second Focal Plane) the reticle is a fixed size regardless of magnification and the graduations are only intuitive on one setting only (usually the largest magnification).

I prefer the SFP with its fixed reticle for target shooting, where judging distance to target is not needed - known distances. FFP for hunting/tactical, where you can use the reticle for judging distances but have to put up with the reticle expanding and contracting.

I have the NF NSX 2.5-10*42 in second focal plane and illum Mildot reticle, Mils turrets. Nice, robust, clear glass. No complaints, other than it does not have the zoom ratio that top-end scopes have. Also more a medium size scope than a 'compact' scope.

Comment

• Fredman
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

I recently picked up a Burris XTR-2 8-40. Very rugged scope. You could drive nails. Turrets are great, zero stop is how all other scopes should be. I have a PST, NF BR, and a NXS. Comparing other scopes to NF, is like looking at your target, then looking through a screen door. Want to buy a Burris?

Comment

• majohnson
                Unwashed
                • Apr 2016

Shv

My Grendel has a SHV F1 4-14, for a $1200 scope it has a lot going for it. NF quality good glass and turrets with great feel. I ran mine out to just over a 1000yds several times with no issues shooting steel or paper. Ran it through elevation and box test to confirm the clicks are what's advertised. That can be an issue with some scopes at this price point, but the SHV past the tests. The PST gets mentioned it was the first real scope I owned and still have. The SHV is a much brighter scope, and comes with a much better zero stop system.

Another option could be a used NF NXS if you prefer the SFP scope which are fine for known distance shooting. Even if you do need to range it just dialing the power up. I just pick up an 8-32x56 for a rifle I am having built. The NXS line my be dated, however that doesn't meam it still not a quality piece of gear. If NF does the ATACR in the 8-32 I might change otherwise it will around for quite some time.

I have been trading email with a guy from Denmark, NF scopes are well regarded as a premium quality product.
                Last edited by majohnson; 06-19-2016, 02:28 AM.

Comment

• am4966
                  Chieftain
                  • Jul 2014

the SHV is a great scope, nxs glass just different from how its put in the scope compared to other models to cut down on cost. Then just having the center of reticle illum compared to the whole reticle. Honestly the PST isn't even in he same league as the SHV or XTR II granted the PST cost less. So you should expect that.

OP sorry for getting off subject some....
                  Nightforce has a new scope coming out just a fyi. It's a ATACR 4-16x50 sfp aim at hunters you'll have a MIL or MOA option. I'm gonna look at it when price is released. I'm thinking it'll be out of my range. I'm hearing good things about the Sig Tango6 line and Athlon scopes
                  12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                  Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                  Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

Working...
                  X