• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jgrec2242
    Unwashed
    • May 2016

6.5 Grendel Build

Hey guys first time poster. So i have been planning to do a long range ar15 build. What really got me interested was the militarys mark 12 spr. I think that the mark 12 is starting to be phased out by the scar 17 but a long range ar15 really interests me. I don't want to build my ar15 exactly like the mark 12, I just want to build a long range ar. It's my understand that the ar15 can be one of the most accurate semi auto rifles in the world, and the ability to have high capacity magazines along with that accuracy really interests me. My thinking is that if I'm going to build a long range ar15, I still want to be able to tote it around and use it in close quarters if need be because an ar15 is a gun that can fire rapidly and has high capacity mags so why let those attributes of the gun go to waste by building the gun so heavy and having a barrel so long that it can't be used for close quarters. I think if I was going to build a gun strictly for long range, I would build/buy a bolt action rifle to get the most accuracy out of the gun.

I will be using the gun at the range mostly for long range shooting off a bench with a bipod but i just don't think I agree with the idea of building an ar15 that is strictly for long range, again I'd use a bolt gun for that, and since it's an ar15, I still want it to be useful in close quarters. I just don't know about the idea of having a 24" bull barrel on an ar15 that would strictly be a bench gun.

So I've been researching building a long range ar15, and I've found that the 6.5 Grendel would be an excellent choice for the caliber because of it's flat trajectory and accuracy, ballistics, and ability to remain supersonic out to 1,200 yards. So then I was trying to decide on a barrel length, and I am leaning towards an 18" heavy barrel. A heavy barrel so it won't heat up too quickly and can keep it's accuracy after multiple shots. And an 18" barrel because like I said, I still want the gun to be useful for close quarters. I was also thinking a 20" barrel could do the job as well. But as I researched more, I found that the 6.5 Grendel round really perferms well in a 24" barrel and that's the barrel length that will allow you to get the most out of the round. I will be shooting the gun out to 600-800 yards and would like it to be able to shoot out to 1,000 because I've read that the round stays supersonic out to 1,200. So, my question is, what barrel size would you reccomend? Is it true that you won't get the most out of the 6.5 Grendel in an 18" barrel? Im assuming that even in an 18" barrel, the 6.5 Grendel will still be way more effective at longer ranges than the 5.56? I guess I'm just worried about missing out on the 6.5 Grendels full potential by only having an 18" barrel. I know with a longer barrel, you will get higher velocities which will keep the round more effective out at longer ranges.

And I know that I will only be shooting paper and steel targets, and I won't be shooting at bad guys or anything serious like that, but I still want to make the gun as best and as effective at long range as it can be, that's what makes it fun for me.

Also I obviously will be free floating the barrel, not sure exactly which rail yet. I'm thinking a giessele ssa-e trigger or the giessele high speed national match trigger. Probably the swfa ss hd 5-20x50. And a stainless steel hbar barrel possibly 18"-20" depending on what you guys think. Also a rifle length gas system to keep felt recoil low and was intrigued by the vltor a5 buffer system but not sure if that's even possible on a gun like this, still need to do more research on alot of things. Also some kind of adjustable stock like the magpul prs.

Also is it best to get a barrel from Bartlein? I'm not sure how ordering one works? Do I just tell them 6.5 Grendel hbar in whatever length or do I have to give them more dimensions also?

Cost is no object. I originally was thinking about the schmidt and bender pmii 5x25 but $3,700 or watever is kinda ridiculous and I figure a scope like that would be better suited on on bolt gun rather than an ar15. Think it would be too much for an ar.

Please let me know your thoughts, I am mainly trying to figure out my thoughts on barrel length but any input is welcome.

I attached a picture of my current ar15 which is my close quarters/mid-range ar. Still want to put a piggybacked or offset cant dr optic on with the acog for close quarters.

Pic is... Colt le6920 socom with trijicon acog ta31-d-100288, geissele ssa, tango down vfg, surefire m300b scout light, KAC RAS, bcm mod 3 grip, bcm mod 4 charging handle, tactical link gen 2 z-360 qd sling mount, and soe single point sling. Also have an aimpoint pro which isn't on the gun right now.

image.jpeg
    Last edited by jgrec2242; 05-25-2016, 08:43 AM.
  • am4966
    Chieftain
    • Jul 2014

18" barrel you can't go wrong with that length. Heck it's used by 3gunners, and I think a med/heavey contour will be a good option. Id get a barrel from Precision Firearms (Bartlien, Lilja or Krieger) barrel. All three will be accurate, I'd get it Nitrided to help with Corrosion and strengthen the barrel for bench or rapid fire.

Optic, there are ton of good options, just depends on your price point. Burris XTR II, Steiner T5XI, Nightforce SHV or NXS, Vortex Razor II and there are others.

Hope this gives you food for thought.
    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

The 6.5 Grendel is a pleasant round to shoot and my Shilen 20" match profile barrel has a target crown and is not threaded. I was shooting off the bench at a steel target 880 yards then 1000 yards with a 6.5-20 power scope and had no trouble seeing my hits. I don't think the 6.5 Grendel needs a muzzle break and my 20" 6.5 Grendel is a little shorter than my Friends 18" 6.5 Grendel with Phantom Flash Hider. I have no trouble shooting my 20" 6.5 Grendel off hand but I generally shoot off the bench. There is probably less than 50 FPS difference in velocity between an 18" & 20" 6.5 Grendel. Another friend has a 18" 6.5 Grendel and he was banging steel at 900 meters. There was a Friend of the family who was a military trained sniper coaching and this was my Friend's first attempt at shooting that far. The sniper Friend was very impressed by the 6.5 Grendel cartridge.

Either barrel length will be capable of hitting at that distance but you'll probably need a canted 20 MOA mount to get enough elevation out of your scope.

Comment

• Bravo Vector Tango
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2016

I picked a 16" for my first Grendel, But I also have an 18" AR10, the AR10 is a Tank and I wanted my Grendel to be handy, the 16" from AA is stupid light for it's profile because of the fluting. and generally I think it is safe to say 2 inches equal about 50 FPS one way or another, for what that is worth.

If (Read: When... lol) I build another Grendel, 20" Kreiger from Mark at PF, target crown. That would be the unicorn.

I think for the money the Criterion would be a superb choice as well.

Comment

Working...
        X