Hornady factory 123gr SST - I think I have some pierced primers here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1075 tech
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

What lot #'s do you guys have? I'm hoping to get out this weekend and shoot the SST's for the first time. We'll see how it goes. No problems with Wolf steel and Wolf Gold so far.

Comment

• 1075 tech
      Warrior
      • Apr 2015

Got 3 rounds of SST down the tube today. No problems. Brass looked good. AA barrel, PF bolt.

Comment

• WIshooter
        Unwashed
        • May 2016

103292 I believe, but I have 2 different lots. One box has silver primers, and one box has brass colored primers.
        I initially Loaded up my mags to get the springs to set a little bit with the SSTs, so I may have not put them back in the right box.

Comment

• BoxofRox
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by WIshooter View Post
          103292 I believe, but I have 2 different lots. One box has silver primers, and one box has brass colored primers.
          I initially Loaded up my mags to get the springs to set a little bit with the SSTs, so I may have not put them back in the right box.
          I just discovered the same thing yesterday. Was looking at fired brass and some had gold primers and some has silver.

Comment

• Bravo Vector Tango
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2016

I did end up calling Hornady to speak with them, per their request via e-mail.

the tech I spoke to took the lot number from me, and looked up some information, and informed me that the recorded pressures for that lot was operating at around 48K PSI, which should be within SAAMI spec.

we discussed the different ogives potentially causing throat contact, being the cause of pressure but he didn't really have any additional insight. I ran the idea of adjusting the seating depths by him, but he didn't really have much to say about it.

since I didn't have any remaining rounds from the lot on hand, their recommendation was to pick up another box or two and try to recreate the problem... kind of felt left pissing into the wind here, kind of expected a bit more expertise and insight, perhaps my expectations were off base, or I'm in the wrong here.

I will probably pick some up at some point and get it squared away since the 123AMAX my gun does like, I'm thinking when i have some on hand, i will try a 123SST seated at 2.200 to 2.220 and see how they chamber.

but now i am a bit more interested in the 100gr TTSX and 100gr Nosler BT for hunting development.

I will post my lot number later today, something i keep forgetting to include in this thread.

Comment

• Bravo Vector Tango
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2016

Both boxes of problematic ammo i had were from lot #3151780

Comment

Working...
              X