X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I can change neck tension in a minute- if the necks are not dinged, I take out the center spindle assy., outside resize- minimal lube, Gains me an extra .001-.002. These are my hunting rounds, I need no ooopsies in the forest area that I hunt in.

No difference in pressures- accuracy by doing this, with Lapua brass- no split neck issues either. I use Forster dies too.

Comment

• Fredman
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by lwminton View Post
      100% correct!! Pay no attention to the confusion that came before.
      Confusion? Anyone call Redding to ask for clarification on their product? It I think of it tomorrow, I will.

Comment

• majohnson
        Unwashed
        • Apr 2016

Expanders

Just a quick mention, Forester makes different size expanders. Checking loaded case runout, I consistently get the lowest runout with their dies. Next would be Redding dies in terms of runont.

Sinclair makes a lead/steel plug that fits into a trimmed case. Using that plug to measure the case portion of your chamber and you will know your exact needed trim length for your specific barrel. I am finding that I can leave my cases a bit longer, which helps hold that bullet without increasing neck tension.

Comment

• borderpatrol
          Unwashed
          • Jan 2016

Good accuracy, minimal working of the brass and sufficient bullet tension can be had with .0025" to .003" of neck tension. This works great in semi-auto rifles. .001" to .0015" is ideal for bolt actions only.

I use an expander ball even when using custom dies, neck only dies or bushing dies. The ball pushes any neck thickness imperfections to the exterior of the case neck helping to improve round to round neck tension consistency.

Forster will modify any full length resizing die they make to the neck dimension you specify to within .0005". Simply polishing any expanding ball by spinning it in a power drill can increase neck tension if you're not getting enough.

Any neck tension over .003" is more than wanted. It stresses the brass, can gall the bullet and induce run-out on the loaded round.

Comment

Working...
          X