• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alicea8541
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2014

Swapped Scopes

Took off the 4x Athlon scope I was testing and threw on the permanent scope, a Vortex 2.5-10x32 FFP Mil/Mil. Also did some testing with a Kestrel Sportsman with LiNK and am very happy with what that little thing can do.

Zeroing was quick and painless as usual. About a week later I decided to test out the Kestrel so it was off to my father in laws land to get it done. Now that the corn is about 3-4 feet high I only have the ability to shoot to about 550 yards. Wind was blowing at a pretty good clip from 3 to 9 o'clock, anywhere from 5-15 but mostly above 10mph at any time. I confirmed zero and all three shots were left of center and group was slightly low overall. Normally I hold a corner or an edge in order to give me a well defined aiming point, but for some reason today, I decided to hold center mass. I then put the target out at 260 yards and using the Kestrel on a tripod with vane and the app on my iPhone, it gave me my adjustments and I dialed them in to the scope. I took my shot and it was a bullseye. I'm getting excited now!

I then placed steel out between 320 and 529 yards. When I was going to shoot at the 529 yard target, I decided that there is no way the Kestrel could be right with the windage adjustment it was SUGGESTING. I dialed in the elevation and windage, but before the shot I added some hold and aimed just inside the right edge of the target, since there is no way the Kestrel could be correct. 1st shot hit steel, 2nd shot missed, and 3rd shot hit steel again. I walked down to the target and started chuckling when I could see my impacts. Marine scout sniper is humbled by electronic was all I could think. I will never doubt that thing again. 2nd shot felt good so I assume I missed just to the right of the edge of the silhouette. Had I held center like I should have, that would have been three shots in the center of the upper chest. I am sorry for having doubted you Kestrel.

JADE Precision, LLC
    Military and Technical Development Advisor
    Sponsors: Athlon Optics, Etymotic Research, and Kestrel Meters
  • Younger
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

Very impressive.

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

Good chootin, those Kestrels are some amazing pieces of gear. Long as they have accurate data trust them.

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

Nice scope as well, have one in the safe. First one I got last Summer would not hold zero out of the box. Returned it and the next one gets a big 2 thumbs up.

Comment

Working...
        X