• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Sow, Piglet, Lucky Hog, and Predator Confusion

Video: https://youtu.be/PKX6OPSOHRM

In making hunting videos, I like to find aspects of my hunts that are unique or stand out in some way, such as medical anomalies with the hogs, strange bullet performance, etc. This hunt turned out particularly good for this.

Something seen in a few of my videos and the videos of others is some hesitation on the part of the shooters when faced with a sounder that has taken flight after the first shot. This delay on the part of the hunter is called "predator confusion" or the "confusion effect." If you google these phrases, you can come up with a lot of long-eared articles on the phenomenon. Basically, as long as the predator fails to select a target, then the predator doesn't attack or attack as effectively, thereby increasing the chances for survival of individual members of the group/heard/flock/school. It is basically nothing but sensory overload.

It was hard to see in real time, but I did finally manage to select, track and shoot one of the fleeing piglets.

I also found it amusing to do the freeze-frame and see the hog jumping over the downed sow and jumping over the shot on the piglet. Pure luck, but it may have kept that hog from harm.

The Berger VLD-Hunting bullets continued to perform well, but with lengthwise shots on both hogs, neither overpenetrated.

I got out as the storms hit. They got over 2 more inches up there. It has been a really wet spring in north Texas!
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • 37L1
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

I was wondering how you were doing with the amount of flooding Texas has been getting with even more rain on the way. Glad you were still able to get out. Excellent breakdown in your video, nice shot on the piglet and awesome leap by the lucky hog!

Comment

• Drift
      Warrior
      • Nov 2014

Many thanks both for the video and the links to swarming behavior/predator confusion... I must have missed that class in school. I'll spend a few hours brushing up . But I'm gonna guess that the tunnel vision us predators get during combat is an evolutionary adaption to mitigate the swarmers attempt to confuse us; the tunnel vision allowing us to "lock on" to one animal @ a time.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Another GREAT video, thanks for posting. I really look forward to seeing your post, very informative!

Comment

• jawbone
          Warrior
          • Jan 2012

you really are raising the bar on your already excellent videos, 00Spy. entertaining, informative, exciting, and now with bonus slo-mo. about the only thing missing is Angry Bird in a car chase with lingerie models.

Comment

Working...
          X