• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Stocks and rails

Is it possible to add a small rail to the bottom side of a magpul moe rifle stock?

Wanting to try and add a rail like the prs has so i can mount a monpod for when im shooting from the bench.
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

ummm yeah

but it cheaper to just glue a nut inside the bottom of the stock and use a carrage bolt as a monopod for your range use and unscrew it when not being used
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Thanks for that info sir.

What rail do you think would be best used to do this with.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
        Chieftain
        • May 2012

probably the short moe section of rail call magpul

Comment

• RicosRevenge
          Warrior
          • Jan 2016

Man, I wouldn't do it.

First off, as you said; the only real place you would want to use it is on a bench at a fixed target. In real World or PRS type shooting it is very difficult to adjust on the fly... for example when you have 4-5 targets to engage at varying distances it makes it really tough to change elevations quickly.

Second, a carbine type butt stock has a "rotational" wiggle in it no matter how tight it locks up. Adding length (read "a rail and monopod") to the longest section of the stock at the farthest point from the action will amplify the effect.

I had monopods on my AI Chassis and took them off and I also have a mono pod on my Desert Tech SRS A1 and don't use that either. I would just go with a rear bag and call it a day.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

I will never buy one of those monopods for the reasons stated above. I've used them before, and I always end up folding them up and just using a rear bag of some sort.

Your windage stability is wobbly even from a bench, and they have no benefit in the field.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

I thank you gents for the info about the monopod and rail.

I do have a monopod already from when I had my prs and I like it more then the rear bags that the range I shoot at uses, the bags didnt seem to work to good to me but then again they are really old.

I already ordered the rail but may not install it till I buy me my own personal rear bag and see how that works for me.

Can one of you gents point me to a good rear bag to try.

Useing a harris bipod on the front of the rifle should I also consider useing a bag on it as well instead of the bipod.
              Last edited by A5BLASTER; 06-08-2016, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

I have bought one set of Caldwell bags but actually prefer the ones I made myself.

I used rough rice as the stuffing because I have a rice farmer buddy, it has some weight to it but not as heavy or dusty as sand.

As for the outermost cover, I sacrificed a camo fleece given to me by a former employer. It had several zipper pockets which were ez. Stitch the sleeves and use ziploc bags inside.

I will text you pics.
                Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• RicosRevenge
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2016

Check the 2 below out. Basically, I look for a rectangular design because that gives me 3 heights to shoot from (flat, short side and long side). Reach under with your support side hand and grab the bag... you can adjust the height easily by squeezing the bag.

Edit... look at the montage LRRP posted and see the top right pic. That is what I mean.

Configio offers the most complete customizable feature set of any event management system & integrates with 40+ different CRMs & AMS. Learn more at Configio.com.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Thanks for the info on how to use the bags and pics of bags to consider.

Probably going to make my own bags.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2012

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/795...-bag-set-nylon not a bad place to start

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

Im making some right now. What I did was take the boss ladys food safer machine and make me a few plastic bags and put some sand in them and then sealed them up, next will be to use some heavy canvas material I have on a roll from my boat build and make a bag out of it with zipper, then place the diffrent sized sand bags into the canvas bags to make some shooting bags of diffrent lengths heights and widths and weights.

Think they might work good myself, I like to make things lol

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                            Chieftain
                            • May 2012

the filling kinda needs to move around ignorer to hold the rifle depending on the design of you bags the foodsaver may make the sand to firm but it would certainly keep the sand from becoming a mess

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

I hear you on that fact and I had thought bout that, I only heat sealed them instead of vacuming the air out and then sealing them.

Comment

Working...
                              X