X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nomad636
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2016

I agree with the fact that he was most likely dead on the first shot. That being said, a father and daughter combo with such a short weekend trip, they really couldn't afford the possibility that they would have to track him for a substantial distance. After looking at all of the shots, they seem to have all been placed in the boiler room and very little meat should have been damaged by them. KUDOS to her for having the nerves and stability to make such a shot and kudos to the dad for building those memories with his daughter.

As far as I am concerned, the 123gr SST out of the 6.5 G is one of the best hunting projectiles on the market with both consistency of the ammunition and solid expansion with little fragmentation. The recoil is minimal which would tend such a young shooter to not be afraid of it and pull the shot.

Sure, other cartridges could have been used but I think that for their situation and their ability to pack it out... they made the right call to put multiple shots in him. Sure if it had been me and a few buddies hunting, I most likely would have let him expire after the first shot if I was confident that I had made a solid hit... but in their situation the camera man really couldn't tell where she hit so they played it safe and made sure he was going to stay down.

All in all, that is an excellent memory for them.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Nomad636 View Post
      As far as I am concerned, the 123gr SST out of the 6.5 G is one of the best hunting projectiles on the market with both consistency of the ammunition and solid expansion with little fragmentation.
      I am a huge fan of the SST as well, but when I do recover bullets, they have always come apart, so I am usually left with just part of the base and part of the jacket. If I have more, then the bullet is significantly reduced in weight. Finding bits of lead and bits of jacket while butchering are common.
      Kill a hog. Save the planet.
      My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Nomad636
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
        I am a huge fan of the SST as well, but when I do recover bullets, they have always come apart, so I am usually left with just part of the base and part of the jacket. If I have more, then the bullet is significantly reduced in weight. Finding bits of lead and bits of jacket while butchering are common.
        You sir do have much more experience with the round than I do so I defer to your experiences to speak to the performance of the SST round.

Comment

• AZ. Old Guy
          Warrior
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by AZ. Old Guy View Post
          That's a lot of shots for an Elk. I'm not sure that's a good idea myself.
          After watching again I too think the first shot was probably a kill shot. If left alone he probably would have just expired. I can only wish for an opportunity like that.
          NRA Lifer

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

I think over all the young lady did very well as did the choice of caliber and bullet. First shot looked like it was a good boiler room hit, the second shot looked high possibly just above the back bone which would not be lethal, third shot boiler room. The first shot had the elk dead but him nor the hunter knew that.

I have friends that guide in Montana and their recommendation is to shoot until an elk is down. I have seen similar shots on elk, one at almost the same distance with a 25-06 that took 3 shots in the lungs that the group was less than 3 inches, that one just stood there dead on his feet until the third shot. Another with a 7mm Mag with 160gr partitions took 2 in the lungs and one in the gut before tipping over. One I killed at 200 yards with a 350 Remington Magnum using 225gr partition one shot through the lower lungs took at least as long to die as her elk did, only I could see the blood pouring out, he stood there until the wobbles hit him then started a staggering run down the mountain for about 50 yards then pilled up on much less steep ground where we could get the truck to him. Lung shot animals react differently and I think it has to do with how much air is in the lungs when hit, full lungs the shot does less damage than if the animal has exhaled making them much more dense and subject to hydrostatic shock have seen several with empty lungs react like they were shot in CNS and drop just as quick.

Comment

• bruceleroy
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2015

What a great shot from that young lady.

Love the dialogue here. We have all seen the belted magnums drop animals in their tracks. We have also seen them take several shots, if we have hunted for very long. The immediate drop on a lung shot is not a normal thing and elk are some tough SOBs. We just need to make sure we use good bullets that expand and put them in the right spot like she did.

I agree with the previous comments about shoot them until they drop. It is the ethical thing to do and it may save an animal from being ravaged by coyotes or wolves instead of by our families.

Comment

• Joseph5
                Warrior
                • Oct 2012

AZ. Old Guy,
                I was taught to shoot Elk until they were down and out, saves on a lot of heart ache and packing night mares. I have seen a lot of elk shot as many times with much bigger rounds and one sho kills also.

Comment

• Mav714
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2016

I shot my elk with a .50 Muzzle loader. I hit back on the side but the bullet opened up and took out the lungs big time. I didn't see how long he traveled or how well he stood up because of the cloud of smoke but he was dead when I got to him with a huge hole at autopsy.

Comment

• Kilco
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2016

I've accompanied my father on alot of guided moose hunts, and I've had to track down just as many shot with a 300WM, 300WSM (provobly most common caliber around here) 338s, 7mm mags, you name it. Seeing what I have seen, which is completely personal data and understanding, It's about 85% shot placement, 13% penetrarion, and 2% caliber. I've watched big moose slam the ground with authority after being smacked with a 257 Roberts, and one vivid memory of one taking a brisket shot from a 338 RU that ran for 2 miles.

Grear shot, great video, thanks for sharing!
                    Last edited by Kilco; 11-05-2016, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X