34 lb. Coyote, 190 Yards, Berger VLD-Hunting 130 gr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

34 lb. Coyote, 190 Yards, Berger VLD-Hunting 130 gr.

Video: https://youtu.be/X3k2uHHLiQo

It took me a long time to find this fellow, I am sorry to say. I had to go back and review the video to recall correctly which tree he was behind. I lined on on the wrong landmark (from memory) and searched the wrong area first. Errrrr!

Once I lined up on the correct landmarks, recovery was quick. Unfortunately, the coyote was still alive and I had to finish him off with a second shot.

The Berger VLD-Hunting round impacted a tad low and left of my POA and went through the right shoulder blade, top of the ribs, through the spine (paralyzing the coyote), and through the top of the left side ribs and exited behind the right shoulder blade. I thought this was interesting - the exit wound was about the size of a nickel but under the skin, the tear through the muscle was about 1.5" and seemed very large given the size of the animal. However, there was actually very little blood around the coyote and before the finishing shot, no blood seen around the mouth, indicating that the lungs were not involved. Damage was primarily to just the skin, muscle, and spine.

It was a decent-sized yote and the landowner will undoubtedly be happy when he gets the news.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • am4966
    Chieftain
    • Jul 2014

How do you like the Sig Kilo 2000?
    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Roe
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

Thanks for that.
      That coyote weighed in at about the same as the deer I shoot.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
        How do you like the Sig Kilo 2000?
        +1
        Been thinking that myself...What are your thoughts on the Kilo?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

The Kilo 2000 is more rangefinder than I need, but it is really cool! By 'more,' I mean that I won't be ranging a deer at 1500 yards to shoot. ;-)

For my needs what I truly like about the unit is that the rangefinding happens fast and you can hold down the button and it will continually range objects as you scan an area, 4 times a second. So it is a continuous or live sort of rangefinding.

The internal display varies according to ambient light. So if ranging in low light, you aren't blinded by the display being too bright or if it is really bright outside, the display isn't too dark.

It has angle modified ranging, which is nice if you hunt mountains or steep angles. I don't. I understand this is a great feature, but not one that will significantly impact my hunting.

The Kilo 2000 is very capable. I have yet to run into anyone who has one that isn't pleased with it.
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

Working...
          X