• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deltagunner00
    Bloodstained
    • May 2016

PF Criterion vs....

Hey Guys. Awesome site here with great info.

Looking at getting a Criterion in 18" from PF but concerenced about wait times. Are they typically close to their stated 8-10 week timeframe? I have one on a Savage bolt action rifle that I use in F Class comps and really like how they perform.

Was thinking f going with an AR Stoner or the Odin deal just to get it in hand quicker. Is the Criterion a good deal better than the AR Stoner and Odin? It's not like I need it on a certain date for a comp....I am just being impatient and want something sooner but can wait if I will lose out on performance by going with the others over Criterion.

Thanks for your input.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Everything i have seen others say about the PF criterion barrels are that they are top self products, cant speak for the wait times though, I can say that dealing with Mark from PF is a pleasure and his components are top self as well.

You sound like me want something and want it now, I to wanted a barrel from Mark at PF but didnt want to wait so I went with a JP rifles 18inch lightweight barrel for my build and the barrel and bolt are without a doubt top self quility it was a lil more then a barrel from Mark but it came to me fast and dealing with JP customer service is a true joy.

Hope this helps you sir.

Comment

• Bravo Vector Tango
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2016

My humble opinion would be, the Criterion would blow the AR Stoner barrel out of the water and would still be significantly nicer than the Odin, with no question about the chamber.

I initially wanted a Criterion too, and still plan for one - I built 16" on the AA Ultralight barrel, in the interim until i get around to the Criterion, it is a beautifully light barrel, and it has been outstanding so far - no qualms recommending it to friends and family wanting to build Grendels.

I took some decent pictures of it in my build thread http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...t-build-thread

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
        Chieftain
        • May 2012

i would shy away from the ar stoner because of chamber dimensions
        Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• SightedIn
          Warrior
          • Jun 2016

I am waiting on PF Criterion 18" barrel myself. Ordered it four weeks havent heard a peep yet. I am not in much of a hurry myself though. Like you i wanted an 18" but found only PF, JP and Lilja made them in: a) 18" and b) to actual SAAMI spec(AA doesnt sell 18" barrels now, only 18" uppers). I am willing to wait to get a SAAMI spec high quality barrel. I cant speak for Odin quality, but i would avoid the AR stoner for sure

Comment

• Deltagunner00
            Bloodstained
            • May 2016

Thank you all for the replies thus far. Another that I have been researching today is JP Rifles 18" light contour barrel. Seems to have very good reviews on what I have found thus far but you pay for it!!! Production time is 1 week.

So, for $569 you get the barrel and the bolt. I like the idea of the bolt coming from the same place as the barrel as it is individually head-spaced. I would probably have a hair over $400 in the Criterion by the time I added the bolt in. I also like the idea that the JP is a rifle length gas system compared to the Criterion which is Mid.

What are your opinions on the JP?

Comment

• challengerRT
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2015

If you are willing to spend that amount on a JP, PF has Bartlein cut rifle barrels for $575 with bolt. I think it would be worth the wait. Lead times should improve. i think they got behind because of a new baby.
              PF's 18" barrels are not mid length gas system they are intermediate.

Comment

• Vasux86
                Warrior
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Deltagunner00 View Post
                Thank you all for the replies thus far. Another that I have been researching today is JP Rifles 18" light contour barrel. Seems to have very good reviews on what I have found thus far but you pay for it!!! Production time is 1 week.

So, for $569 you get the barrel and the bolt. I like the idea of the bolt coming from the same place as the barrel as it is individually head-spaced. I would probably have a hair over $400 in the Criterion by the time I added the bolt in. I also like the idea that the JP is a rifle length gas system compared to the Criterion which is Mid.

What are your opinions on the JP?
                I can't recall ever hearing complaints about the quality or JP products. The only complaints I've seen are about the price.

Can't speak from personal experience about their barrels, but I own several other parts made by JP and they are all top shelf quality. The parts I have used from them perform flawlessly. As others have mentioned, JP stands behind their products which is always important.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

I have a JP barrel and bolt combo and the fit and finish is like myself and others have said top shelf.

There is one thing to note about JP barrels their shoulder proflie is cut so the gas block has to be set tight aginst it to have proper alinment and when I was puting my upper together neither of the two gas blocks I had on hand would work properly, so what I did was to order JPs split yoke adjustable gas block with gas tube installed from the factory.

After I bedded the gastube to the block and the block to the barrel I have had perfect function with the three diffrent loads I have on hand.

Hope this info helps you sir, but really and truely a barrel cut to sammi from AA,PF,JP is the only way to go but thats just me.

Comment

• Deltagunner00
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2016

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                    I have a JP barrel and bolt combo and the fit and finish is like myself and others have said top shelf.

There is one thing to note about JP barrels their shoulder proflie is cut so the gas block has to be set tight aginst it to have proper alinment and when I was puting my upper together neither of the two gas blocks I had on hand would work properly, so what I did was to order JPs split yoke adjustable gas block with gas tube installed from the factory.

After I bedded the gastube to the block and the block to the barrel I have had perfect function with the three diffrent loads I have on hand.

Hope this info helps you sir, but really and truely a barrel cut to sammi from AA,PF,JP is the only way to go but thats just me.
                    Thanks a bunch, Blaster. Going to do some more research today but I am really leaning towards placing my order with JP this evening. I will go ahead and order their gas block with it. Did you just order online or did you call them and talk through it with them? Also, do you know what their "Machine" finish looks like? Is it similar to a bead blasted finish? Thanks!

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

I ordered online from their store. I had talked with them about the gas block because I had two gas blocks that I had tryed and couldnt get to work properly. I went with the spilt yoke block that they sell because I felt it would be easyer to get proper match up of block and gas port and for me it was.

I also ordered the block with gas tube installed, it added to the price a lil but it was ok for me cause it would insure the block and tube were lined properly and save me some work.

Their customer service is the best I have ever dealt with a real joy to do buisness with them.

I dont know about the barrel finish you asked about I ordered mine with a black nitrite finish and it is a very good finish very durable, I dont like shiny things on my guns because I hunt with them.

The threads on my barrel were very clean cut and I had no issue installing a thread protecter.

Hope this info helps sir.

Comment

• RicosRevenge
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2016

I ordered the JP barrel 2 weeks ago arriving last week and I actually have it in the truck since I was going to build the upper today after work.

Mine has the Machine Finish. It isn't quite like bead blasting but it isn't real shiny either. I'll go out and snap some pictures of it this afternoon for you Delta.

Also, be aware that the 18" Medium profile was discontinued. But the "light weight" barrel ain't exactly a pencil barrel.

Comment

• robertc1024
                          Bloodstained
                          • Aug 2015

I got a 20" Criterion barrel from PF - long wait, especially with their new baby, but I couldn't be happier. I haven't had the chance to stretch it out any, but it's shooting bug-holes at 100 yards.

Comment

• RicosRevenge
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2016

Here are pics of the barrel (sorry, crappy cell phone pics):

Comment

• Deltagunner00
                              Bloodstained
                              • May 2016

Originally posted by RicosRevenge View Post
                              Here are pics of the barrel (sorry, crappy cell phone pics):

Nice! I like the stamp/markings on that. Really appreciate you taking a pic.

I went ahead and placed the order for the JP around lunchtime today.

Post a pic once you have it finished!

Comment

Working...
                              X