• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WIshooter
    Unwashed
    • May 2016

Having issues with new build

I have had my new build in 6.5G to the range 3 times now. I have taken off my rail and gas block to be sure everything is lined up correctly. Rifle shoots straight and so far so good, except for when I shoot 110g Prvi Partizan FMJ I have short stroking issues.

The round will eject, but does not lock back on an empty mag, and will only pick up the next round 50% of the time or less.

Rifle specs are:
    AA 16'' 6.5G barrel
    AA 6.5G bolt
    Vltor low-pro clamp on gas block
    Carbine buffer or H buffer (I have tried both)
    AA Elander 17 round mags
    M16 bolt carrier

Rifle functions 100% when I shoot Wolf 100g, AA Scenar 123 match, Hornady 123 Amax, and Hornady 123 SST. Prvi is the only ammo so far that is doesn't like.

I checked the gas key bolts for tightness, and I verified my gas block is sitting over the gas port in the barrel.

Maybe the buffer spring is too new/strong? The spring came with the tube and magpul stock as a kit from DSG arms.
    Not sure why Wolf works, but Prvi does not.
  • EdiCiud72
    Unwashed
    • May 2016

Is it an adjustable gas block? If not, I would advise getting one.6.5g are known to be finicky with gas blocks and adjustments and are highly recommended for adjustable ones.
    Enough Said

Comment

• WIshooter
      Unwashed
      • May 2016

Do most guys use an adjustable gas block with 6.5G? A few guys at the range recommended it as well.

Comment

• Drillboss
        Warrior
        • Jan 2015

Sounds like you're not getting enough gas to cycle the action. I've never used one, but I assume an adjustable gas block will only reduce the amount of gas you have to the action. If you're sure your gas block is aligned properly, you may need to look at drilling out the gas port in your barrel.

Comment

• ricsmall
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Are you running the gun "wet" ? Keep it well oiled till everything breaks in, then moderately oiled after. Don't see why u would have problems with just that ammo. If I wanted to b a smart a?! I'd say don't shoot that particular ammo, but u may have ur 401k invested in it!! ��

Richard
          Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I suspect the PPU 110 grain ammo might be under powered. Unfortunately the PPU 6.5 Grendel does not seem to be consistent lot to lot. I had issues with the 120 grain PPU HP BT. One round would kick the brass out at 2 O'Clock 6 feet away and the next round might barely dribble out of the ejection port. I even had one round cause a failure to feed because the previous round was under powered.

On a new rifle where everything is tight I suspect the problem might be the PPU 110 grain FMJ ammo. The Wolf 100 grain FMJ has been very consistent in my 16" 6.5 Grendel. Be sure to use plenty of lube on the bolt carrier group on a new build.

If you have a lighter standard carbine (H) buffer you might try this buffer with the PPU 110 grain FMJ, might actually run with the lighter buffer. I have better overall performance with a wider variety of hand loads and factory 6.5 Grendel ammo using a standard carbine buffer compared to an H2 buffer or T-2 buffer.

Comment

• EdiCiud72
              Unwashed
              • May 2016

I run a Odin low-pro adjustable. Had to adjust a mag before I finally had it tuned and shooting %100. My gunsmith highly-highly recommended adjustable gas blocks.
              Enough Said

Comment

• WIshooter
                Unwashed
                • May 2016

I only have 2 boxes of the Prvi ammo, so yeah I will probably wait until I put the rest of my case of Wolf down range to see if it breaks in. I was running the BCG wet, so no issues there.
                I plan on mainly shooting Wolf, SST, and the AMAX since I had no issues. If no changes occur, I will just blame the ammo and not buy anymore of the 110 fmj.

Comment

• EdiCiud72
                  Unwashed
                  • May 2016

Well definitely shoot what it eats. Treat it like fuel, don't want to put regular in a premium ☺️��������
                  Enough Said

Comment

Working...
                  X