• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Regal View Post
    Hey guys,
    I know this post is a bit older, but figured I'd breathe some life back into it - especially with how popular long-range stuff is getting.

So over the last 16 months, my 6.5 Grendel has gotten a work-out. With an Odin works 20" barrel and a mix of Hornady Black & my personal handloads (123 gr A-max or ELD / 30 gr BL-C(2) / 2.255" COAL), yardages are 400 - 1200.

I have had great luck with the little 6.5, but have noticed that practical yardage really runs out around 900 yards. Can you get it farther, yes - but only if conditions are favorable.

I have pictures of freshly painted targets with completely sideways hits at 930 yards. Several 1,000 yard targets with all oblong holes - seriously 17 inch group at 1,000 yards and every round with yaw. She just runs out of juice, at least where I shoot.
    Welcome aboard. What twist rate do you have in that barrel?

600yds is quite boring for me unless I shoot sub-2 MOA targets at that range.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• FLS
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2015

I see the same thing at here on the South Carolina coast. 1st round hits on 1-2 MOA targets out to 800 -900 with 123 Amax is fairly easy. Beyond that the little cartridge is slowing down fast in our heavy air.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

Regal, have you noticed a difference between the amax and eld? I broke in my JP 22er with some leftover factory amax. Did 5/8" at 100 and was fine on 750, but it started getting pretty inconsistent at 900. Moved onto to some factory 123 black and the 900 really tightened up despite it being a little slower. My assumption was that Hornady was actually telling us the truth about the melting amax tips and that that may have actually been a real reason behind moving to ELD (in addition to being able to charge us more money). I would think that if there are any deformities on the tip, any destabilization that might occur as the transition zone is entered would be magnified and things could fall apart pretty fast. However, with where I shoot, a 123 isn't starting to go transonic until >1k, yet there was the noticeable difference between amax and eld at 900.
        Last edited by StoneHendge; 08-28-2017, 02:45 PM.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• lrgrendel
          Warrior
          • Jul 2013

Brut :

If your budget allows. Probably better of shooting a Berger 130 gr than the 123 gr Amax. Way better BC.
          CFE seems to be the powder to give you the required velocity.

DEPENDING on your age! A little more powerful scope might also help you... people will tell you they shoot a fixed 10 power at 1000, but not the average joe....

Shooting consistent at 1000 yds is expensive, I found out the hard way and became very frustrated with cheaper equipment.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• DJL2
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2017

Last edited by DJL2; 09-09-2017, 09:35 PM.

Comment

• Smitters
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2017

Alright I know take way off topic, sort of. I see you all talking about the G(insert number) BC. I gather that is ballistic coefficient but what does the G number represent.

Also I just started running an 18" Model 1 sales 6.5 sporter upper with a 1:9 twist.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

There are two seperate Ballistic Coefficients listed for specific bullets by many manufactures, G-1 uses one computer simulation whereas G-7 is another simulation later devloped to better predict trajectory at long range 800+ yards/meters. Many shooters using G-7 derived data from the ballistic apps with specfic weather, altitude ballistic info get better results shooting out to and beyond 1000 yards.
                Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-25-2017, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• SDet
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2016

Kind of

So, any bc can be done with a computer, by hand, direct testing, whatever you'd like. What the number following the g represents, is the standard shape that the bc is calculated from.

The bc is a relation between the standard shape, think powerbelt like shape for g1 and a spitzer for g7, and the weight of the bullet. It's pretty much the excepted way to look at how well the bullet conserves energy in flight, higher is of course better.

Background In 2009, Berger Bullets introduced G7 BC's for boat tail bullets. For those who are unfamiliar with G7 BCs, it's simply a Ballistic Coefficient referenced to the G7 standard projectile instead of the G1 standard projectile. The G7 standard is a better match for modern long range bullets, so the G7 BC will be more

Comment

• Smitters
                    Unwashed
                    • Aug 2017

I'm growing to love this forum more and more!!! Thank you for the excellent information! I say this with the most respect for other forums...but this one is way better!

Comment

Working...
                    X