• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kikn
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

5 Dead 3 Shots

So I finally got to go out hunting again for the first time in over 6 months since my motorcycle accident.

I would call it a successful hunt. Had a pretty good time as usual. shot up lots of ammo not much from the 6.5 apparently I didn't have as much 6.5 ammo made up as I thought I had remembered. :-|

I got to my blind about 1 1/2 hours early. And the hogs got there early as well. I had to wait a little while for the Axis to clear out of the shooting lane. Eventually they didn't move out of the area all of the way but clear enough for a shot.

I had the one I wanted but he wouldn't move out from under the feeder and was facing me almost the entire time. I waited for another to line up in front before I took the shot since I was using a 120 Grain Barnes TSX I was confident in getting the penetration for a double. The hog in front crossed broadside in front and as I squeezed off the shot the lead hog took one behind the shoulder and the other one to the face.

I had an opportunity to take additional shots but didn't want to rush a shot with the axis Bucks around. So I waited a few minutes and I was just about to get out of my spot to go inspect the area and look for the lead hog that ran (made it just behind the trees about 20 -30 Yards) When I noticed all the hogs came back in. The axis were still hanging around but not as close to the feeder any longer.

I waited for the next set to line up and took a double neck shot. The rest scattered and I caught one that was in the clear and paused just long enough to take a bullet. So there is my 5 with 3 shots...

bonus time!!

So I am surely done by now, after waiting to calm down a few minutes I actually leave my spot go back to my truck and put up my rifle and grab my 10 mm to go look for the runner. I make it back around the corner and what do we have here....Some kind of mental hog came back!!

So I decide I'm going to stalk up on this guy. Wearing my bright white shirt and all. Thank goodness for a favorable wind. I manage to keep a cedar tree in-between myself and the hog for half of the distance. The reset of the way I managed to keep my shadow away from the hog and keep another small cedar tree that the elk have used as a rub between us. I got up to about 15 yards before I was discovered as I was taking aim. The now alert hog staring me down trying to figure out what to do made a tragic mistake of trying to turn and run. Once he turned broadside he took two 10mm 180Gr Nosler JHP to the side and he was done.

Game Over!
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Awesome kikn. Glad to see you back up and running.

Richard
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Nicely done- game on the ground.

Awesome to have a fellow Terminator like a many of us are. I'LL BE BACK, to take more game... stack them up!
      Last edited by sneaky one; 06-14-2016, 03:40 AM.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

Excellent job!!
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Great thanks for posting

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

Great hunt, glad you are able to be back at it.

Comment

• Moonshine44
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2015

Lot's of bacon there! Well done!
              If it ain't fun, why bother doin' it?

Comment

• Vasux86
                Warrior
                • Apr 2015

Well done. Glad you are able to get behind a gun again.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

That's awesome. 6.5 Grendel and 10mm seem ideal for what you were doing.

I wish S&W would make a 10mm M&P.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• customcutter
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

Glad to hear you are back in the woods! Great way to start, whacking and stacking!

Comment

Working...
                    X